jrm
    mtbr member

Potential Landlords and Bikes....

Why is it that potential landlords seem to equate bikes as being as damaging as pets when it comes to conditioning whether theyll rent to someone or not. I just looked at this cool house and after the Pl told me about how they wont allow pets after the damage they'd done in the past the bikes inside the house thing came up since the place doesnt have a garage and the PLs like "oh we wouldnt like that because the floors would get messed up". Then they showed me this cubby hole under the house where i put my bikes. i guess the search goes on...

mtbr member
    That's a bummer. Did they specifically say they wouldn't allow it or that they just wouldn't like it? When my wife and I rented out our apartment we didn't really ask about where we'd put our bikes. We just assumed the one big closet would have to do and rigged up some hooks to hang them from. The landlords offered us space under their deck but when we told them about how much money we had invested in the bikes and that we didn't feel that they would be secure from theft or the weather anywhere outside the 'lords dropped the issue.

paintbucket
    You tell potential landlords you'll be bringing bikes into the house? Why?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Why is it that potential landlords seem to equate bikes as being as damaging as pets when it comes to conditioning whether theyll rent to someone or not. I just looked at this cool house and after the Pl told me about how they wont allow pets after the damage they'd done in the past the bikes inside the house thing came up since the place doesnt have a garage and the PLs like "oh we wouldnt like that because the floors would get messed up". Then they showed me this cubby hole under the house where i put my bikes. i guess the search goes on...
    I know I left rubber marks all over the windy staircase of my old third floor apartment in Boston. Also some marks on the wall where I propped up my bike. I don't think I ever hurt the floor with a bike.

mtbr member
    Bikes will drip on the floor but unless it's carpet you can just wipe it up. my bikes did damage to the carpet in my apartment since I didn't have anywhere secure to keep them when outside. The leaky roof did a lot more damage than my bikes though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm using the don't ask, don't tell method and haven't had a problem. My apartment has a rack outside that some people store Wal-Mart bikes on, but I did not think that was sufficient to store my bikes. I just bring them in and found a nice corner for them and haven't had a problem. I have put a couple of black marks on the wall, but nothing too noticeable. no problems on the floors though.

Medium?

Why rent when you could own?

"Den/Office could be converted into a bike shop..."

I'll give you $10000 off for being such a cool guy too.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/rfs/73254417.html

jrm
    mtbr member

The dont ask..

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    dont tell situation wouldnt work because PLs house is right in front of the rental. Theyd see me and others wheeling our bikes into the house. But the kicker was that they wouldnt allow a satallite dish.

wwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttttt.....

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Bikes can cause damage to interiors. But that's for people who are sloppy or don't care, which there are many of out there.
    - Lube can drip
    - Tire treads dirt/mud onto carpet
    - Levers and cranks scratch walls if leaned against it

Too bad the big wig's house is right infront, otherwise I'd just do the don't ask don't tell credo.