Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

POST YOUR PIX with TOP SPEED!..Got up to 29.64 MPH on Flat!!

So I recently made some upgrades to my bike as well as a bike computer to read my speed etc. I hit a max speed of 47.7km or 29.64mph on the flat street today! POST YOUR PIX with TOP SPEED!..Got up to 29.64 MPH on Flat!!-xtinstall2.jpg
    POST YOUR PIX with TOP SPEED!..Got up to 29.64 MPH on Flat!!-topspeed.jpg
    Upgrades:
    Rigid Kinesis Maxlight XLT Forks
    MAVIC XC 717 rims with DATI Enduro Ceramic Bearing Hubs
    Michelin City 1.85" Slick Tires
    Pro Stealth Carbon Evo Seatpost
    Shimano Deore XT 22-32-44T crank with external BB
    FSA-SLK Stem with X-Roc Carbon Handlebars
    Wellgo Pedals
    11-28T SHimano Cassette
    CatEye Cycle Computer
    ---------------------------------------
    POST YOUR UPGRADES/BIKE WITH YOUR TOP SPEED!!

Professional Crastinator
    Nice bike!
    Dude, that is fun, and 30mph on the flats is certainly some hard work, but sorry, but most people will want to see the wheel diameter you put into your computer to know you weren't cheating.

btw - I had a thread up, something about "hard to steer at high speed" and MANY riders have been well over 50 mph on the hills, esp. in CO and the mtn. states. Even on tandems. I guess, that is, especially on tandems. Some DHers have been over 40mph on chunk and rocks. It's really pretty crazy where that question takes you.

Tandem top speed for me and my honey is 48mph. Single, 50mph - on a steep hill in Ohio. 42mph rigid on smooth dirt.
    No pix, so it prob'ly didn't happen...

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My wheel diametere is 26"
    I am not worried about people thinking I am cheating because that does not pertain to me in any way. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is Tandem? I could see hitting 50mph down hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Nice bike!
    Dude, that is fun, and 30mph on the flats is certainly some hard work, but sorry, but most people will want to see the wheel diameter you put into your computer to know you weren't cheating.

btw - I had a thread up, something about "hard to steer at high speed" and MANY riders have been well over 50 mph on the hills, esp. in CO and the mtn. states. Even on tandems. I guess, that is, especially on tandems. Some DHers have been over 40mph on chunk and rocks. It's really pretty crazy where that question takes you.

Tandem top speed for me and my honey is 48mph. Single, 50mph - on a steep hill in Ohio. 42mph rigid on smooth dirt.
    No pix, so it prob'ly didn't happen...

-F

Big Gulps, Alright!
    With all due respect, this is MTBR. It's a mountain bike forum. I can hold almost 40mph (for a short duration) on my road bike, but nobody here gives a crap.

It would be tough to get my mountain bikes up to that speed because of the knobby tires, lower tire pressure, suspension, etc. The very things that make them excellent off-road hinder them on the pavement.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by mpix00 View Post
    So I recently made some upgrades to my bike as well as a bike computer to read my speed etc. I hit a max speed of 47.7km or 29.64mph on the flat street today! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XTinstall2.jpg 
Views:	1673 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	830836
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	topspeed.jpg 
Views:	1112 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	830840
    Upgrades:
    Rigid Kinesis Maxlight XLT Forks
    MAVIC XC 717 rims with DATI Enduro Ceramic Bearing Hubs
    Michelin City 1.85" Slick Tires
    Pro Stealth Carbon Evo Seatpost
    Shimano Deore XT 22-32-44T crank with external BB
    FSA-SLK Stem with X-Roc Carbon Handlebars
    Wellgo Pedals
    11-28T SHimano Cassette
    CatEye Cycle Computer
    ---------------------------------------
    POST YOUR UPGRADES/BIKE WITH YOUR TOP SPEED!!
    Isn't MOUNTAIN BIKING so much fun?!?!?!? Oh wait.....

Big Mac

POST YOUR PIX with TOP SPEED!..Got up to 29.64 MPH on Flat!!

Gots to be the pro stealth evo carbon seat post. No way you could climb that fast otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Biking of any kind is fun.. Mountain,road, winter, rain, mud, street,urban,dh etc.. etc.. who cares as long as it's fun right! I love speed!!
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Isn't MOUNTAIN BIKING so much fun?!?!?!? Oh wait.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    40 mph!! Sweeeet.. WHat's the fastest you have been? I did notice when I was going around the corner that my turning was a lot wider because of the speed. I would like to find a good mountain near me and get some more speed then what I can get on flats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    With all due respect, this is MTBR. It's a mountain bike forum. I can hold almost 40mph (for a short duration) on my road bike, but nobody here gives a crap.

It would be tough to get my mountain bikes up to that speed because of the knobby tires, lower tire pressure, suspension, etc. The very things that make them excellent off-road hinder them on the pavement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think it was a combination of all the upgrades I did working together along with the rigid fork and my new XT cranks makes for an easier smoother power transfer to my wheels I noticed..
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Gots to be the pro stealth evo carbon seat post. No way you could climb that fast otherwise.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Biking of any kind is fun.. Mountain,road, winter, rain, mud, street,urban,dh etc.. etc.. who cares as long as it's fun right! I love speed!!
    Well, you're going to find out a lot of people around here care. Me not so much (just poking a little fun), but you're probably going to get a comment or two on your road bike.

This would be a great post over at RBR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well people sometimes take life way to serious and I am not one of them. Life's too short to complain about things when life is all about enjoying every second. Also my bike is a Mountain Bike. I just have a Rigid fork with slick tires and have lightened the weight..

Well, you're going to find out a lot of people around here care. Me not so much (just poking a little fun), but you're probably going to get a comment or two on your road bike.

This would be a great post over at RBR.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    WHat's the fastest you have been?
    I usually focus more on my average speed. Not that I don't like redlining my heartrate, but if you blow your wad in the first 10 minutes, where's the fun?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    LOL Great quote!! Yeah I just got my bike computer so it's fun to see how fast you go in different gears and see which ones actually have a better avg speed.. I like the fact that it enables you to see how far you have gone as well as the time .. It's a great tool to improve on your fitness!
    I usually focus more on my average speed. Not that I don't like redlining my heartrate, but if you blow your wad in the first 10 minutes, where's the fun?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Serious here mpix and not trying to bag on you as your passion is quite obvious and very refreshing, but I think maybe this belongs in the beginner's forum. Most of us don't need these kind of details pointed out. I was excited about my first computer too, but quickly learned the type of riding I do (pretty much the polar opposite of what you could do with your bike setup) destroys computers eventually and so after 4 or 5 of them I haven't used one for about 15 years now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well all I wanted was to see the top speed people have made on a FLAT distance with their Mountain bikes. Also I want to see the pictures of their bikes, what they have done with them etc. This is a PASSION POST for people with bike computers that can show their Custom Bikes and their Computers FLAT speeds Can't wait to see everyones' Customs !!

Snowjnky McDreamy
    ... but if you blow your wad in the first 10 minutes, where's the fun?
    10 minutes to blow your wad is good for most...I guess it depends on what leads up to the actual blowing of the wad and the number of wad(s) you plan to blow.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Redcoat

Someone always has to spoil the fun

Redcoat
    Serious here mpix and not trying to bag on you as your passion is quite obvious and very refreshing, but I think maybe this belongs in the beginner's forum. Most of us don't need these kind of details pointed out. I was excited about my first computer too, but quickly learned the type of riding I do (pretty much the polar opposite of what you could do with your bike setup) destroys computers eventually and so after 4 or 5 of them I haven't used one for about 15 years now.
    but really who cares? Please dont take this personally but the dudes on a mountain bike and lovin it. this is the passion thread, i really dont thinks its about him not knowing what he is doing.

Really amazes me that people can spend the effort pedaling miles for hours on bikes but it comes to an extra click on a forum people are gettin all humpy cause they opened a thread they didnt want to read or approve of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Lol I hear you. Unfortunately there are always people who take things overly serious. The negative vibe merchants are all around but that's not important to me. I have built my bike up to the style of riding that I like and I am sure there are others out there who like the speed and get that rush from it. I recently found a sand pit style trail that is awesome to drop down to my 32T middle ring and just hammer through the sand with no squirreling out.. I am beginning to find new types of terrain I really like as well. I would really like to find a trail like the one they had in the old BMX movie RAD.. NOt sure if any of you remember that Movie??
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    but really who cares? Please dont take this personally but the dudes on a mountain bike and lovin it. this is the passion thread, i really dont thinks its about him not knowing what he is doing.

Really amazes me that people can spend the effort pedaling miles for hours on bikes but it comes to an extra click on a forum people are gettin all humpy cause they opened a thread they didnt want to read or approve of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just saw your New stem 90mm Easton on your BIke. Nice SCOTT man Those EASTON EA90 RIms look smooth with the style!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    Someone always has to spoil the fun

Professional Crastinator
    My wheel diametere is 26"
    I am not worried about people thinking I am cheating because that does not pertain to me in any way. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is Tandem? I could see hitting 50mph down hill.
    Tandem Bike = bicycle built for two people.

Double the power and near double the weight.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah Man I have seen those. It would be fun to see a race just for tandems!! Like kind of a drag race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Tandem Bike = bicycle built for two people.

Double the power and near double the weight.

-F

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Slick tires & rigid fork on a mountain bike? Why bother? For the money you spent on those "upgrades" you could have bought a cheep road bike that could facilitate your speed objective even better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @ mpix00: I'm happy to hear that your customized bike lets you enjoy the awesome sport of biking. But there's one thing I don't really understand: Why do you first buy a really cheap bike and than spend a small fortune on upgrading it? Usually it makes more sense to buy something that's already sort of good and than upgrade. But if I look at your bike, I'm just confused...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well one, I don't like road bikes and love Mountain bike frames.
    Two I got the Fuji Nevada 4.0 for $175 brand new and The Fuji Frames are amazing quality and not cheaplyl made at all! The only thing cheap on them are the components. Fuji Makes amazing quality lightweight frames. Then I was looking at Bikes around $800 range and they all have Alivio or deore component mix which kinda sucks!!... 3..,, I am a wholesaler and I I got all my components for amazing prices.
    The Shimano Pro Evo Carbon seat post retails around $180.. I got it for $24 bucks used shipped to me!! EBAY FIND!!
    Mavic XC717 Rims were $50 from a friend who bought them and decided he wanted something else and offered them to me for $50..
    The 2014 Dati Hubs I buy wholesale for $65 a set and they retails $200
    The FSA-SLK stem and Carbon X-ROC handlebars I got from a friend for $40..
    The XT Cranks I got for $160 shipped Brand NEW..
    I also have coming to me an SLX group set 9speed with the 9 speed shifters, Shadow RD, SLX FD, and 9 speed Shimano HG-80 Cassette for $200 shipped. So I plan on keeping all the SLX Components and grouping the SLX Crank with this 2006 Deore trigger shifters 9 speed, 2006 XT RD, SRAM 9 Speed Cassette with DEORE FD I have layign around, which I should get around $200 for so that's basically $40 for the SLX 9 Speed drivetrain for a total BIke Build of
    --------------------------------------------
    Fuji Nevada 4.0= $175
    Shimano Pro Stealth Evo Carbon seat post=$24
    Mavic XC 717 Rims= $50
    Dati Enduro Hubs w ceramic bearing 6 pawl 48t Front and rear= $65
    FSA-SLK stem & Xroc Carbon Handlebars= $40
    XT Cranks = $160
    SLX 9 Speed Drivetrain= $40
    Michelin City 1.85"= $45 new
    Cateye BIke computer= $25
    ------------------------------
    TOATAL BIke BUild= $624!!