Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Post pics/stories here of your first REAL mountain bike!

I thought it would be fun to post pics of the first bikes you used to seriously ride mountain bikes. Not the bike you learned to ride on as a kid, but the first bike that you really put in serious saddle time and gave you the mountain biking fever.
    This is my 2002 Trek 4500. V-brakes and front suspension. Bought it senior year of high school. Started riding hard with it two years later in Laramie Wyoming. I moved to Puerto Rico in 2007 and took it with me and met up with a local riding club in this pic(the trailhead was a Walmart parking lot haha). I left the bike in Puerto Rico when I moved back. Gave it to a co-worker who still rides it today! I have moved on to several bike since but there is always a special place in my heart when I happen to see an old Trek like this. Alright folks, let's see them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics/stories here of your first REAL mountain bike!-fb1.jpg  

Post pics/stories here of your first REAL mountain bike!-fb2.jpg  

mtbr member
    1994 Mongoose Hilltopper SX. It had an STX/Alivio mix and I bent the fork failing to clear a creek-- the fork in the photo is the replacement. Those roller blades in the back were also mine.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey, I am from Puerto Rico. What trails did you used to ride here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerrogordo View Post
    Hey, I am from Puerto Rico. What trails did you used to ride here?
    I cannot remember the exact trails. It was near Ponce. Some was singletrack and some was double track.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I started in about 1992 and put many thousands of Km's on a chromoly giant ATX760 - touring, bike packing, racing, commuting, shopping....you name it. I kept the frame, always intending to do it up, but never got around to it and finally (regretfully) threw it out after much deliberation in October this year. Two days ago I'm round at a mates place and he shows me a frame he picked up at the rubbish tip.....my old frame. I had pangs of remorse and almost asked for it back. He's going to do it up, maybe I'll get to ride it again, maybe then I'll see if he wants to sell it...maybe.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a Bridgestone MB-3 (4?) that was my third real mtn bike but the one that really saw the first serious riding I did. I had it when I first moved to CO. It saw it's untimely end shortly after SSing it out and putting the rigid fork back on it, turning it into a bar bike. I rode it a couple of times before trying to preload the rigid fork and snapping the frame after Happy Hour in Boulda one night. Ended up in the meat wagon and the emergency room, not pretty.

I did have it long enough to convince me to buy another SS.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    I had a Bridgestone MB-3 (4?) that was my third real mtn bike but the one that really saw the first serious riding I did. I had it when I first moved to CO. It saw it's untimely end shortly after SSing it out and putting the rigid fork back on it, turning it into a bar bike. I rode it a couple of times before trying to preload the rigid fork and snapping the frame after Happy Hour in Boulda one night. Ended up in the meat wagon and the emergency room, not pretty.

I did have it long enough to convince me to buy another SS.
    Got a pic? Let's see it! I am really interested in old bikes and the evolution of the sport. My LBS posted this video of a bike race near me from 1992. Very cool. Happy Jack Bike Bash 1992, Part 2 - YouTube

Retro on Steroids
    I already had the "mountain bike fever" in 1978, but it didn't have a name yet because the term "mountain bike" hadn't come into use.

I had my friend Joe Breeze build me this one because no one sold anything like it commercially.

It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Thread win

mtbr member
    Exactly. Don't know who can top Repack Rider after this.

mtbr member
    '89 diamondback apex. 3mos in & it sent me to the er on a failed 6' foot huck to flat. good times with young bones!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    He's going to do it up, maybe I'll get to ride it again, maybe then I'll see if he wants to sell it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robindevo View Post
    He's going to do it up, maybe I'll get to ride it again, maybe then I'll see if he wants to sell it
    Be sure to post a thread here if that happens.That history right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mine started in August. A friend of mine took me out on a borrowed bike one morning and I was hooked. I went to my LBS that afternoon and picked up a Cobia.

mtbr member
    ah... my old ferrous mid-90s steed. cleaned up and rebuilt with its aftermarket amp fork ordered from supergo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics/stories here of your first REAL mountain bike!-pb220113sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by h3hound View Post
    ah... my old ferrous mid-90s steed. cleaned up and rebuilt with its aftermarket amp fork ordered from supergo.
    Is that suspension?

mtbr member
    12 months and 35lbs ago, I had a few "mountain bikes before this" but not that i ever really mountain biked with. Rode this bike for 12 months and 3 days then upgraded, awesome bike took me all over our local trails and back and forth to work. From campbell river to whistler, down my first DH trails and up some crazy accents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics/stories here of your first REAL mountain bike!-p1000008.jpg  

2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    I originally started MTB'ing in 1998 when I bought a couple year old GF Aquila from a friend for $180:

It was a pretty decent bike at the time, although I wore out those elastomers in the fork pretty quickly. But still, it was a more capable bike than I was a rider. It showed me parts of the local park that were just 6 miles away from town, but seemed deep in the wilderness, which provided some much needed solitude and quiet.

At first it seemed like a lot of work to get up the hill, but upon hitting that first bit of swoopy singletrack through the grass and trees...I was hooked, and have been ever since.

I ended up selling it for $140 a few years ago (not bad for 10 years of riding!), and almost immediately regretted it. A few months later, I found almost the same bike, but with better components and upgraded the fork on it. I still have it, and now it's my sons' school commuter and mountain bike. I love seeing it in the garage, and still use it as a loaner/backup bike on occasion.

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Nice! Keep 'em coming folks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 251 View Post
    1994 Mongoose Hilltopper SX. It had an STX/Alivio mix and I bent the fork failing to clear a creek-- the fork in the photo is the replacement. Those roller blades in the back were also mine.
    I remember that creek... and see those Slalom Blades peeking out of the bottom? Those were mine, and they were 5-wheeled awesomeness.

My first 'real' MTB was a '93 KHS Montana Sport (I think it was a Sport... whatever the cheap one was). I don't have any photos, unfortunately, but it was awesome, $220, and lime green.

The earliest bike that I have a photo of is my old '94 Trek 930 that replaced the KHS. My mom was nice enough to buy it off of me in '95 to help offset the cost of the '95 Trek 8700 that replaced it. This picture is somewhat recent, and has lots of mom-friendly mods... except for the POS Manitou 2 that never worked:

slow
    1986 GT Timberline

I had a bunch of bikes before this, and rode a lot, but this bike was my first mountain bike and the bike on which I first developed a love for mountain biking. I was working in a shop at the time and we were just beginning to sell mountain bikes. I bought this brand new and built it up right out of the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

slow
    Dbl post

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Is that suspension?
    Youngsters!

You should check out the VRC forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/

frog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Youngsters!

You should check out the VRC forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/

frog
    Well, speaking of old bikes. If any of you guys are privy to old frames, I am trying to identify an old mountain bike frame I got. Any insight is appreciated! See thread/pics here. Can anyone name this frame/bike?

Mtn Biker Machinist

'93 Mongoose Alta

My grandfather gave it to me as a frameset with only the BB and cranks attached when I was 15. I cobbled it together as I had money, and rode the snot out of it!

Technically it's not a mountain bike, but I put knobbies on it, and rode it as one. It taught me to wrench and got me offroad. I rode it until '97, then passed it on to my older brother. It carried me on rides exploring the deseret and mountains around Milford, UT, the Kaibab Plateau around Jacob Lake, AZ; and the mountains around Rexburg,ID.

I got it back from my brother and it even became my first singlespeed and commuter before finally being retired.

That bike started a passion that slowly evolved into an addiction(if you ask my wife), but has brought me great enjoyment and kept me active, healthy and sane.

Thanks grandpa!

(Not my bike, but the same model year, I have no pics of it.)

frog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post pics/stories here of your first REAL mountain bike!-mongoose-alta.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast