Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Positive Strava Passion

I am starting this thread to document the positive aspects of Strava. I know the haters will probably chime in and say "you can do all that without Strava" or here is a better app. Just relaying what works for me and hope to hear similar stories from others.

I have been tracking my rides with Strava. I have even created some segments to compare my times on particular sections of trail. All the segments I have created are climbs so no danger of anyone becoming too much of a Stravatard. I can honestly say that Strava has helped motivate me to ride more and ride better. I have seen a marked increase in performance and fitness(yes, I could lose a few pounds). My times for certain climbs are half what they were a year ago. Some might attribute that to technique but I have been trail riding over 25 years and my technique is not going to improve much at this stage. My brother also uses Strava for similar reasons and we follow each others rides(we live about 500 miles apart).

So please chime in if you use Strava for good and not evil.

Haters, please find another Strava thread to bash the app and the trailholes it has created.

RideDirt
    cool story brah

mtbr member
    If it motivates you to ride more then it's good. It's hard for me to relate to the Strava haters because people have been timing loops and comparing numbers since the beginning of mountain biking. Strava didn't create (the few) a$$holes that are riding the trails, they have always been there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    new to me and kind of cool.

mtbr member
    I have been using Strava since may of last year. I really like it as I enjoy seeing what my ride was like. Where I went and how fast. I like to compete against myself and ride faster. Overall it encourages me to ride more and ride harder. I think that has gotten me into the best shape of my life and some of the best riding skills. Before Strava I would ride, but have no real motivation to ride hard.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Love it, I've only recently started using Strava and ride alone most of the time. On my main rides I keep beating my times. The part I find most useful is breaking a route down by segment and if I find I am lacking or way behind others on a specific segment, I know I need to revisit and work harder on it. Otherwise i'd still be plodding along at the same pace as always.

Does anybody use the premium version? Have wondered if it would be worth upgrading.

Give it a crank
    It's a great way to see your ride stats, find past rides, and see what your buddies are riding. Comments on rides are also great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    Does anybody use the premium version? Have wondered if it would be worth upgrading.
    I do. Being 47 and just north of 200lbs I like to compare to riders of my age and weight although you cannot combine them.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Coming from the world of Endomondo, I didn't get it at first, but once I learned how to use it as a tool, I now think its a very cool app. Linked my Polar H7 to it and kicked out for a 1yr Premium thanks to a code. can def get some good info out of it.

I do wish it had a Speedometer on it.

mtbr member
    I use it it to track miles for the most part. A little known feature I use is I log new parts that I put on my bike into my bikes profile. Tubes, tires, brake pads etc. that way I can see the miles I have on the individual parts because there is a date associated with it. and it helps me keep up on regular maintenance on my bike instead of just guessing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    I use it it to track miles for the most part. A little known feature I use is I log new parts that I put on my bike into my bikes profile. Tubes, tires, brake pads etc. that way I can see the miles I have on the individual parts because there is a date associated with it. and it helps me keep up on regular maintenance on my bike instead of just guessing.
    This is awesome. I was actually sitting on the pot last night thinking of doing the exact same thing. So I was dealing with many logs!

mtbr dismember

Fine if not abused

I much prefer Garmin Connect. I don't ever race. But it is nice when I get home and Strava shows me I've improved over past rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I use it to keep track of my own status and as a log. Last year my Cateye Strada reset mid-ride and I lost the odometer total before I had logged it. I like to have my annual mileage and was a little bummed that I had trusted the computer to keep a log of it. Now I just start Strava on my phone and toss it in my camelback and forget about it until I'm done. It may not be 100% accurate but it's close enough for this fat guy!

mtbr member
    If Strava is a tool that works personally for you, that's great. I've never had interest, nor do I foresee me gaining any for it in the future.

I like to personally improve as well, but I get indirect feedback either from my body or from the trail itself. When my fitness level improves I see it in my other activities. When I clear sections of trail for the first time or smoother, that tells me what I care to know about as well.

Admittedly, I don't have a racer mentality. Too much analysis just ruins the ride for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    If Strava is a tool that works personally for you, that's great. I've never had interest, nor do I foresee me gaining any for it in the future.

I like to personally improve as well, but I get indirect feedback either from my body or from the trail itself. When my fitness level improves I see it in my other activities. When I clear sections of trail for the first time or smoother, that tells me what I care to know about as well.

Admittedly, I don't have a racer mentality. Too much analysis just ruins the ride for me.
    Not a racer mentality. It's a self improvement mentality. I have no interest in racing bikes as I would get smoked.

I used to race cars and feeling your way through the turns and thinking about the next lap to try a different line. Doing this on fast flowy ST is the same and it puts a big grin on my face. Now, I leave my competitive streak on the water where I race sailboats. A lot less chance of spilling the beer!

Again, this post is for folks finding positive uses for Strava.

The White Jeff W
    Like anything, its a good tool in the right hands. My climbing, a long time weakness, has improved significantly since Ive been using it. I got tired of seeing myself at the bottom of the charts on the climbing segments
    No moss...

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I do ridewithgps; it has a similar feature and I like the layout better plus feel like I'm supporting the underdog.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I much prefer Garmin Connect. I don't ever race. But it is nice when I get home and Strava shows me I've improved over past rides.
    Well, it's up to you whether you abuse it or not. You can't control what other people do with it.
    Fall in Fruita/GJ. F' yeah! Lunch Loops are riding sweet and so is everything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Positive Strava Passion

Is there a way for a person to add mile markers to the strava app? I know when I use it it does not display the mile markers like the cyclometer app does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    I have not. I am too cheap to spend the $$ for it. If I were using it as training aid rather than just for fun maybe. Even so I don't record heart rate or cadence so that makes a difference too.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

bust a move
    I just started using strava 2 weeks ago after using my tracks for almost 2 years. I do a lot of miles and was needing something different to keep it interesting. So far I like it much better.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    ..I used to race cars and feeling your way through the turns and thinking about the next lap to try a different line. Doing this on fast flowy ST is the same and it puts a big grin on my face. Now, I leave my competitive streak on the water where I race sailboats. A lot less chance of spilling the beer!....
    I used to race cars too. I lost that passion last year after about 10 years of racing. I just got tired of constantly having keep the the car at the tip of performance to keep up. I did well racing cars won a bunch of races in class and lead 3/4 of 30+ car field in my 1 national championship race. Finished 4th 2.5 second out the first. Still it was alot of constant work just to stay close to the front.

With biking the cost and prep time is less. I have done couple races, but Strava is enough for my to fill my competitive juices. I ride hard and Strava can tell me if I did better than last ride and how I am doing vs others. I will never win a mtn bike race, but I am fast enough to do ok. Strava has told me this and so has my 2 races. One of the reasons I liked racing cars instead of just track driving was the ability to see my times and compare them to others. That gives me the motivation I need to keep pushing. I like that. I do not want to race my mtn bike consistently however as I don't want to feel like I have to push every single ride and feel bad if I have a bad day. Racing consistently is pressure I don't want. Yesterday I did a ride and felt off. Strava showed me I was off as well. Oh well it happens some days. No big deal. I will ride again another day and maybe do better. Every ride a chance to improve.
    Joe

Inspector Gadget

Positive Strava Passion

I like Strava, yes it can be misused like anything else. But I like to see MY progress and keep totals. I don't peel out every single ride trying for new PR's. There are times I target a trail or segment and air it out for a better time. It's cool to see a real number and not just guessing from the butt dyno.

I also really like it for exploring new riding areas and places I'm going to visit.

Having said that I heard if you get a KOM bishes be droppin' dem pantees.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post

Having said that I heard if you get a KOM bishes be droppin' dem pantees.
    That made me laugh and think about my wife calling me back upstairs this morning. They where already dropped.

mtbr member
    I hate strava because I haven't been riding that much lately and when I do, it points out my lack of fitness in real numbers.....they need to build in a "lie to me" version for us old fat guys...

mtbr member
    I like Strava.

SPP
    Rigid.

Occasionally engaged…
    Up until this spring, not many around here were using Strava. I held a bunch of KOMs by default as I was the fastest of the 3 or 4 people using it. I knew it was silly to care as I'd get dropped by my buddy up a climb, get home, upload my ride and be anointed KOM. This year a few local fast guys have started using it and I've gotten pushed way down the ladder, but it's actually more fun now that it's realistic. In the end, the ranking on any given segment is secondary to getting maps of rides and keeping track of mileage. I nordic and downhill ski in the winter and use the Strava app for nordic skiing and upload alpine ski files saved out of the Ski Tracks app on my phone.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like Strava. It's a great way to track my mountain/road and run mileage in one nice format. I was previously a Garmin connect user, but started using Strava when a few riding buddies signed up and told me to check it out. The phone app is a bonus too, as I have forgotten my GPS watch on occasion and it serves as a great backup.

Like others in the thread, I also track of the mileage of my bikes/parts and make notes if I change something.

I'm not really focused on KOM's, but I really dig when it shows me I just set a new PR, because it's a visual confirmation of the "I felt like I was going good on that section today".

mtbr member
    W
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    That made me laugh and think about my wife calling me back upstairs this morning. They where already dropped.
    Nice. Me too. After she walked the dog in the rain. She came back in and quoted her bio - I like rainy days and puppy dogs.

mtbr member
    I mostly love Strava for it's accuracy. I finish that 16 plus mile loop and Strava gives me 10 even. Like a finely tuned Swiss watch.

The social aspect is pretty nice, since it's so widely used. The fastest rider in the state has some segments, so it's a nice point of reference for comparison.

Don't care about climb segments though, just full loops. Being fast up the climbs is meaningless if you give it back on the rest. Glorifying only the climbs is soulless mountain biking.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Don't care about climb segments though, just full loops. Being fast up the climbs is meaningless if you give it back on the rest. Glorifying only the climbs is soulless mountain biking.
    I agree. I set up a couple segments the other day that include the ride down the hill and the climb back up.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    fairly new to strava and smart phones. One thing I come across is that the rides without cell coverage, the batteries in the phone go dead quickly. Can you use airplane mode and strava, at the same time?

mtbr member
    It works fine on my HTC Incredible while in airplane mode.

mtbr member
    I'm faster down then up but make up less time going down then they do on me going up. Also the 16mi loop giving you 10 is that a phone or GPS? GPS is more accurate then phone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    I am starting this thread to document the positive aspects of Strava. I know the haters will probably chime in and say "you can do all that without Strava" or here is a better app. Just relaying what works for me and hope to hear similar stories from others.

I have been tracking my rides with Strava. I have even created some segments to compare my times on particular sections of trail. All the segments I have created are climbs so no danger of anyone becoming too much of a Stravatard. I can honestly say that Strava has helped motivate me to ride more and ride better. I have seen a marked increase in performance and fitness(yes, I could lose a few pounds). My times for certain climbs are half what they were a year ago. Some might attribute that to technique but I have been trail riding over 25 years and my technique is not going to improve much at this stage. My brother also uses Strava for similar reasons and we follow each others rides(we live about 500 miles apart).

So please chime in if you use Strava for good and not evil.

Haters, please find another Strava thread to bash the app and the trailholes it has created.
    Just downloaded the APP and love it!
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

Master Shredder
    I recently got a road bike because my trails are still underwater, and at the same time my brother told me about Strava. Now I've got 164, 204, and 205 miles per week for the last 3 weeks then again I'm unemployed now and have way too much time on my hands.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

Never Forget 9-11
    For the first month I used Strava I just about killed myself trying to better a previous ride on every segment. Kind of took the fun out of riding. Now I just pick one or two segments per ride to push a little on. Don't take all the KOM results too seriously. A local segment here shows the KOM doing a little better than 90mph uphill.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    A local segment here shows the KOM doing a little better than 90mph uphill.
    Pffft...that's nothing. I hold a KOM on a 1.5km climb with an average speed of 1797.2 km/h, and that was on a single speed.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I personally enjoy using the Strava App on my iPhone. I log my miles yearly in a log book and Strava really aids me in this. I also love the elevation it gives as well. I have lost signal a few time when riding in the mtns. Does that only happen using the app on a cell phone?

mtbr member
    It's more a likely to happen on the cell phone. I've been loving strava enough that I bought a Garmin edge 200.
    I love the idea of tracking miles for bike components. I've also been using it when riding to school with my daughter's. It's fun for them to see their miles and elevation gain.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    I hate strava because I haven't been riding that much lately and when I do, it points out my lack of fitness in real numbers.....they need to build in a "lie to me" version for us old fat guys...
    Let me help you
    DigitalEPO.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Let me help you
    DigitalEPO.com
    I can't believe this exists. What losers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    I personally enjoy using the Strava App on my iPhone. I log my miles yearly in a log book and Strava really aids me in this. I also love the elevation it gives as well. I have lost signal a few time when riding in the mtns. Does that only happen using the app on a cell phone?
    I have came across all satellite stuff has problems in trees, whether it be sat radio or sat phones or gps. they need a clear line of sight to the sky.

too much bike love
    I used to be more interested in using it to watch my improvement and to compare myself to other riders. But I'm riding new trails about every week now, so that's not really useful.

Runtastic and RunKepper allow you to create tracks and follow them while riding. This is a very useful feature.

But I still import each ride into Strava because it has a much nicer interface and its social tools are better.

mtbr member

I like the concept.

The guy I usually ride with is moving to California soon. Something like Strava would be a good tool to motivate me on my normal weekday solo rides when the trails are empty. I'm the type of person who tracks what he does so I could see Strava providing the motivation for me to not slack when there is no one to chase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I can't believe this exists. What losers.
    The sad part is that people who use this stuff actually convince themselves that it is not cheating. I really can see no point to something like this other than it's comedic value.

Although I bet some of these morons would pay for something like this! Could be a good money making opportunity.

mtbr member
    I enjoy it b/c I ride in a few communities that are a few hundred miles apart and i see my friend's rides. It's also a nice tool for tracking riding.. i am not fast up or down so I just push against my personal bests..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Let me help you
    DigitalEPO.com
    I do believe this is a PR
    Sully by perfectzero06 at Garmin Connect - Details
    buzzes like a fridge

Inspector Gadget
    Hey question... I'm going on a ride in a very remote area that I'd like to log through the iphone app. Cell service will drop miles before I even get to the trailhead... Is my Strava going to work? I've never tried it without cell service.

mtbr member
    I totally boo-hoo'd Strava at first. I have a Garmin and Connect was enough to help me log my miles, sift through rides, send maps and data to friends, etc (in fact, prior to Strava, friends would always ask me to send them the link for the Garmin data of our rides). I signed up last fall just to give it a shot- I had more and more friends who were using it, and I thought I should try it instead of just condemning it because I'd heard stories of some dumb arses who were knocking people off of trails screaming "STRAAVVAA." Anyway, I love it. We have a tight community of riders who often ride together on the weekends and whenever else we can fit it in- but we're not always able to get out together. It's inspiring to see that your buddy got up and put down 20 miles on dirt before going to work and it's rad to see friends get faster or explore new trails. I hope they develop the social aspect, because it's the best feature of it over Garmin Connect for me (that, and the deeper data/ broader audience). It's definitely helped me train harder this year and I'm motivated to get out and ride harder.

It can have its downsides- but I think those are in the user more than the tool. I like to stop and take pictures of my buddies during the ride, for instance, and sometimes I think, "I can't stop, it'll ruin my time!" But that's my issue- so I make myself stop and I make myself not give a sh|t, and I go back to enjoying my ride... and more than not, it has helped me enjoy riding more, because I'm riding stronger and faster than I have in years (still slow as hell, though!).

I think someone else mentioned this, but I also have friends on Strava in different parts of the country (and now one in South America)- it's cool to see them getting after it.

It is also fraught with errors. I did a rare road ride from work last week on a very flat path- probably the least elevation I've had in a ride in months and months, but it put me down for something like 4600'. Whatever. I had a friend who is never as fast as me on the downhills, and he posted a time faster than me on a segment. Whatever.

It's fun if you make it fun and it's a problem if you (the user) make it a problem. In either case, the users have control.

What scares me is the potential for it to be used for regulatory reasons (going too fast or wrong direction on a trail, etc).
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast