Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Positive Strava Passion

I am starting this thread to document the positive aspects of Strava. I know the haters will probably chime in and say "you can do all that without Strava" or here is a better app. Just relaying what works for me and hope to hear similar stories from others.

I have been tracking my rides with Strava. I have even created some segments to compare my times on particular sections of trail. All the segments I have created are climbs so no danger of anyone becoming too much of a Stravatard. I can honestly say that Strava has helped motivate me to ride more and ride better. I have seen a marked increase in performance and fitness(yes, I could lose a few pounds). My times for certain climbs are half what they were a year ago. Some might attribute that to technique but I have been trail riding over 25 years and my technique is not going to improve much at this stage. My brother also uses Strava for similar reasons and we follow each others rides(we live about 500 miles apart).

So please chime in if you use Strava for good and not evil.

Haters, please find another Strava thread to bash the app and the trailholes it has created.

RideDirt
    cool story brah

mtbr member
    If it motivates you to ride more then it's good. It's hard for me to relate to the Strava haters because people have been timing loops and comparing numbers since the beginning of mountain biking. Strava didn't create (the few) a$$holes that are riding the trails, they have always been there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    new to me and kind of cool.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have been using Strava since may of last year. I really like it as I enjoy seeing what my ride was like. Where I went and how fast. I like to compete against myself and ride faster. Overall it encourages me to ride more and ride harder. I think that has gotten me into the best shape of my life and some of the best riding skills. Before Strava I would ride, but have no real motivation to ride hard.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Love it, I've only recently started using Strava and ride alone most of the time. On my main rides I keep beating my times. The part I find most useful is breaking a route down by segment and if I find I am lacking or way behind others on a specific segment, I know I need to revisit and work harder on it. Otherwise i'd still be plodding along at the same pace as always.

Does anybody use the premium version? Have wondered if it would be worth upgrading.

Give it a crank
    It's a great way to see your ride stats, find past rides, and see what your buddies are riding. Comments on rides are also great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    Does anybody use the premium version? Have wondered if it would be worth upgrading.
    I do. Being 47 and just north of 200lbs I like to compare to riders of my age and weight although you cannot combine them.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Coming from the world of Endomondo, I didn't get it at first, but once I learned how to use it as a tool, I now think its a very cool app. Linked my Polar H7 to it and kicked out for a 1yr Premium thanks to a code. can def get some good info out of it.

I do wish it had a Speedometer on it.

mtbr member
    I use it it to track miles for the most part. A little known feature I use is I log new parts that I put on my bike into my bikes profile. Tubes, tires, brake pads etc. that way I can see the miles I have on the individual parts because there is a date associated with it. and it helps me keep up on regular maintenance on my bike instead of just guessing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    I use it it to track miles for the most part. A little known feature I use is I log new parts that I put on my bike into my bikes profile. Tubes, tires, brake pads etc. that way I can see the miles I have on the individual parts because there is a date associated with it. and it helps me keep up on regular maintenance on my bike instead of just guessing.
    This is awesome. I was actually sitting on the pot last night thinking of doing the exact same thing. So I was dealing with many logs!

mtbr dismember

Fine if not abused

I much prefer Garmin Connect. I don't ever race. But it is nice when I get home and Strava shows me I've improved over past rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I use it to keep track of my own status and as a log. Last year my Cateye Strada reset mid-ride and I lost the odometer total before I had logged it. I like to have my annual mileage and was a little bummed that I had trusted the computer to keep a log of it. Now I just start Strava on my phone and toss it in my camelback and forget about it until I'm done. It may not be 100% accurate but it's close enough for this fat guy!

mtbr member
    If Strava is a tool that works personally for you, that's great. I've never had interest, nor do I foresee me gaining any for it in the future.

I like to personally improve as well, but I get indirect feedback either from my body or from the trail itself. When my fitness level improves I see it in my other activities. When I clear sections of trail for the first time or smoother, that tells me what I care to know about as well.

Admittedly, I don't have a racer mentality. Too much analysis just ruins the ride for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    If Strava is a tool that works personally for you, that's great. I've never had interest, nor do I foresee me gaining any for it in the future.

I like to personally improve as well, but I get indirect feedback either from my body or from the trail itself. When my fitness level improves I see it in my other activities. When I clear sections of trail for the first time or smoother, that tells me what I care to know about as well.

Admittedly, I don't have a racer mentality. Too much analysis just ruins the ride for me.
    Not a racer mentality. It's a self improvement mentality. I have no interest in racing bikes as I would get smoked.

I used to race cars and feeling your way through the turns and thinking about the next lap to try a different line. Doing this on fast flowy ST is the same and it puts a big grin on my face. Now, I leave my competitive streak on the water where I race sailboats. A lot less chance of spilling the beer!

Again, this post is for folks finding positive uses for Strava.

The White Jeff W
    Like anything, its a good tool in the right hands. My climbing, a long time weakness, has improved significantly since Ive been using it. I got tired of seeing myself at the bottom of the charts on the climbing segments
    No moss...

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I do ridewithgps; it has a similar feature and I like the layout better plus feel like I'm supporting the underdog.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I much prefer Garmin Connect. I don't ever race. But it is nice when I get home and Strava shows me I've improved over past rides.
    Well, it's up to you whether you abuse it or not. You can't control what other people do with it.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Positive Strava Passion

Is there a way for a person to add mile markers to the strava app? I know when I use it it does not display the mile markers like the cyclometer app does.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    I have not. I am too cheap to spend the $$ for it. If I were using it as training aid rather than just for fun maybe. Even so I don't record heart rate or cadence so that makes a difference too.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

bust a move
    I just started using strava 2 weeks ago after using my tracks for almost 2 years. I do a lot of miles and was needing something different to keep it interesting. So far I like it much better.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    ..I used to race cars and feeling your way through the turns and thinking about the next lap to try a different line. Doing this on fast flowy ST is the same and it puts a big grin on my face. Now, I leave my competitive streak on the water where I race sailboats. A lot less chance of spilling the beer!....
    I used to race cars too. I lost that passion last year after about 10 years of racing. I just got tired of constantly having keep the the car at the tip of performance to keep up. I did well racing cars won a bunch of races in class and lead 3/4 of 30+ car field in my 1 national championship race. Finished 4th 2.5 second out the first. Still it was alot of constant work just to stay close to the front.

With biking the cost and prep time is less. I have done couple races, but Strava is enough for my to fill my competitive juices. I ride hard and Strava can tell me if I did better than last ride and how I am doing vs others. I will never win a mtn bike race, but I am fast enough to do ok. Strava has told me this and so has my 2 races. One of the reasons I liked racing cars instead of just track driving was the ability to see my times and compare them to others. That gives me the motivation I need to keep pushing. I like that. I do not want to race my mtn bike consistently however as I don't want to feel like I have to push every single ride and feel bad if I have a bad day. Racing consistently is pressure I don't want. Yesterday I did a ride and felt off. Strava showed me I was off as well. Oh well it happens some days. No big deal. I will ride again another day and maybe do better. Every ride a chance to improve.
    Joe

Inspector Gadget

Positive Strava Passion

I like Strava, yes it can be misused like anything else. But I like to see MY progress and keep totals. I don't peel out every single ride trying for new PR's. There are times I target a trail or segment and air it out for a better time. It's cool to see a real number and not just guessing from the butt dyno.

I also really like it for exploring new riding areas and places I'm going to visit.

Having said that I heard if you get a KOM bishes be droppin' dem pantees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post

Having said that I heard if you get a KOM bishes be droppin' dem pantees.
    That made me laugh and think about my wife calling me back upstairs this morning. They where already dropped.

mtbr member
    I hate strava because I haven't been riding that much lately and when I do, it points out my lack of fitness in real numbers.....they need to build in a "lie to me" version for us old fat guys...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast