all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

Poseurs and tragically hip have moved on

Silver dollar day in Durango. Heat's gone, hi in the 60s, humidity in the single digits, not a cloud in the sky. Trails are in primo shape. You'd think you'd see tons of riders in this "MTB Mecca." Just back from a glorious 4 1/2 hours of the kind of singletrack tourons pay big bucks to ride. How many other riders did I see? None, zero, zip, nada. Not a complaint, mind you, just an observation.

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Silver dollar day in Durango. Heat's gone, hi in the 60s, humidity in the single digits, not a cloud in the sky. Trails are in primo shape. You'd think you'd see tons of riders in this "MTB Mecca." Just back from a glorious 4 1/2 hours of the kind of singletrack tourons pay big bucks to ride. How many other riders did I see? None, zero, zip, nada. Not a complaint, mind you, just an observation.
    I like that sometimes, allows you to stay in your 'zone' longer. Other times I just like being around people for the sake of the company.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

[/SIZE]

Linoleum Knife
    I noticed that myself this season. I went out for a lunchtime ride yesterday in Horse Gulch, saw one person. I went out for an evening ride on Carbon Junction / South rim - 2 people.

2 years ago I would run into at least 10 other people on a lunch ride, and 15-20 on an evening ride on the exact same trails.

Last year it was 1/2 that number.

I haven't decided if it is good or bad yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Lance effect?

I've been noticing just the opposite trend on road rides lately.

mtbr member
    What pisses me off is that it was not me you didn't see out there today. I just can't get away from the office, but I agree, the change in temps is nice.
    I got to ride with a group from Kokopelli Bike shop on Tuesday, a new trail on the west side of McFee res. Nothing but bear and elk tracks!

sh*t eater
    Jan 2004

treasure it

The trail I have been riding lately (in a metro area) usually has a full parking lot of cars. Not as much when you have to wait behind someone who won't let you pass (and nope, I'm not a crazy race nazi either).

now if it was just stop raining for a little bit,
    scott

|i|
    Not everyone has the luxury -- believe me.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

Oh, I believe you

Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    Not everyone has the luxury -- believe me.
    That's what makes posting so much fun.

BGR / MCM #311

bulC....were you...

...born and raised in Durango??
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    "Fully, Completely".
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

no

Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    ...born and raised in Durango??
    no, I was lucky enough to grow up in the road riding mecca of rural pennsylvania, we had 100 times the good road riding available out here. and later, thanks to Bob Rodale, RIP, a worldclass velodrome, which is the only kind of racing my body type didn't suck at. Cat II. I still dream about it sometimes.
    but I got here quick as I could.
    only bike rider I know who was born in Durango is Ed Zink, whom many people here dislike intensely.

So, another silver dollar day, couple degrees warmer then yesterday, otherwise identical. 4 hours on the CO trail this a.m. Met 2 riders. They were from Aspen. Didn't see any locals, other than local elk, local mulies, local turkeys, a local coyote, local grouse, and a local porcupine.

lurker spaz

Hmmm....

I didn't know the Tragically Hip rode?
    http://www.thehip.com/

mtbr member

Idea! Huh, we seem to have the same

no, I was lucky enough to grow up in the road riding mecca of rural pennsylvania, we had 100 times the good road riding available out here. and later, thanks to Bob Rodale, RIP, a worldclass velodrome, which is the only kind of racing my body type didn't suck at. Cat II. I still dream about it sometimes.
    but I got here quick as I could.
    only bike rider I know who was born in Durango is Ed Zink, whom many people here dislike intensely.

So, another silver dollar day, couple degrees warmer then yesterday, otherwise identical. 4 hours on the CO trail this a.m. Met 2 riders. They were from Aspen. Didn't see any locals, other than local elk, local mulies, local turkeys, a local coyote, local grouse, and a local porcupine.
    background. I grew up a roadie in Berks County, my dad was one of the founders of BCBS. I still ride the road, but am loving mtn.biking even more now that I've moved here from the front range.
    I like Ed.
    Perhaps we should ride sometime.

Craig Brossman

banned

Empty trails in CO

The tragically hip have found ski lifts. My ride Friday was a crowd scene...if you are talking about wildlife.

banned
    Ed Zink, whom many people here dislike intensely.
    Why is that?

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Why is that?
    Here is the first line of his bio on his store's web page

"A Durango Native and the most powerful individual in the southwest Colorado cycling scene, Ed Zink represents the heart and soul of the cycling community."

It's not because of his great humility in servicing the bikes of the masses...

Who knows.... ?

recovering roadie
    Speaking of which - can anybody recommend a bike-friendly motel in Durango? Been meaning to get up there this summer... and I can get tired of camping.

Kearsarge crawler
    If you just don't want to stay in a tent rent a small cabin at lightner creek campground just west of town.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?