mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No good The pop up ads here stink.

I'm about out of here and Roadbikereview. The pop up ads suck so much it ruins the experience here. It's most on my porta me devices but enough to say I've had it.

Any key else feel the same way?
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

human dehumidifier
    It seems like ads are out of control everywhere.

Recently I've found functions and sites don't work if I enable my ad blocker. For example I can't click and insert an emoticon here, and I can't use the tabs on my profile page to see only my posts - so I end up having to disable the blocker. I'm not sure if the ads are getting smarter by hiding inside functions, or if my ad blocker is configured wrong. Another example - youtube sticks an ad in front of videos, so I can't watch a video without disabling the blocker. It's downright amazing how many ads are on pages without the blocker running.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    First world problem. Are you afraid you're going to callus your clicking finger?

mtbr member
    I don't mind the popup ad, as it's easy to skip. It's the side bar ads that drive me nuts. Even on a lightning fast connection, the menus jump all around the page while the ads are trying load. The ad servers are slow and cause lots of problems.

I mis-click links and have to scroll up and down to find where I was any time an ad loads. When I finally do find the link I was trying to click, another ad loads and I start the process over. I've completely given up trying to view this site on my phone as it's much worse there.

I fully accept the website's right to make money but when the ads interfere with the content, it's time to re-think.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Ridin' Furry
    Adds help support mtbr. Its a double edged sword but when was last time anyone had to pay to use this website?

mtbr member
    The Keen ad on my iPhone makes reading mtbr a real PITA, causing navigation to be jerky or, even worse, to crash. I hate it.

Also, it's being discussed on the site feedback forum: KEEN Pop Up ad is Freezing up Webpage
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    AdBlock and they all go away

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Two things that I use to get around this problem:

1. I use the Atomic Web web browser on my iPhone. The popup blocker on it works very well. I haven't had a popup on it ever.

2. I also use the Tapatalk forum browser app. It's an app that allows you to surf all your forums directly with a better experience than using a web browser with all of the buttons and links being really tiny on a smartphone screen. Best of all, no ads at all.

Give one of these solutions a try, it'll make your browsing experience a lot better.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't added a new app in well over a year. Apple lost my password, and getting new apps just wasn't a big deal for me. Will have to have Apple reset the password.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

squish, squish in da fish
    tapatalk is a must for portables, but i never had one pop up on my mac. i just get the sh!tty banner ads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    tapatalk is a must for portables, but i never had one pop up on my mac. i just get the sh!tty banner ads.
    Yeah, I havent gotten a popup ad either. But as far as the rest of the ads, yes they are annoying, especially the sidebar ones. What I have done is I sent my post per page to the maximum amount, I believe it is 50. That way you don't waste so much time going through pages as there is more post to read per page. I do this for most forums, not just mtbr. I do think that ads are needed for all forums, like other said, its how they make money and support the site. Now that Im here, Id probably pay for the site, but newcomers would likely not and Im guessing neither would 60-70% of the current members.

mtbr member
    I've never seen a popup ad here, and dont have a problem with the other ads. They are sometimes useful.
    I have Adblock installed (using Firefox), but have it specifically disabled for sites I want to support.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use a Google nexus 7 (android obviously)- no problems on this cite. Looks like the "i"things are on the cutting edge of Internet ad technology. I am jealous...

mtbr member
    I've never had any pop-up ads on this site. I don't use an ad-blocker of any kind and the pop-up blocker is turned off for this site. I browse on Windows 7/Firefox and on two different Android devices using Chrome or Dolphin browser.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime View Post
    I'm about out of here and Roadbikereview. The pop up ads suck so much it ruins the experience here. It's most on my porta me devices but enough to say I've had it.

Any key else feel the same way?
    I donít see any popup ads. Oh wait, silly meóthatís because I use the AdBlock Plus extension.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Running latest FF with Adblock Plus and NoScript. Have allowed a few things to get past the filters and the pages load fast no problems.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

I'd rather be riding
    The keen ad on my phone is driving me nuts!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Why do a lot of Americans hate ads and the marketing effort in general? It's what keeps your economy moving. The ads pay for the maintenance of this forum.

Speaking of the US economy, those Clearance sale ads may look enticing now but it is a bad indicator in the long run.

Poseur
    I don't mind the ads so much, but the last few days I've been getting a redirect to another site about once a day. I assume it's a hijack coming in through a banner ad.