Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Singletrackmac

Poor roadies… well actually, maybe it serves them right.

Yesterday, around 2pm there was a freak snow storm with blizzard like conditions up here in North Lake Tahoe. Earlier that morning had been beautiful, sunny with temps nearing the 50's. My wife, kid and I had just left the house on our way to Ace and when we got to the stop sign to turn onto the highway (just a 2 lane road in and out of the basin) we saw a roadie stopped on his way down the very steep 2 mile decline to the lake. He was wearing spandex shorts and a short sleeve bike jersey. No backpack or pack on his bike.

As we stopped I heard him ask if he could get a ride, but our small SUV had no room for his bike with the kid in the car seat and his ridiculous stroller taking up the way back. I just shrugged and mouthed the words "sorry, no room" and we went on our way.

On the way to Ace I started feeing bad that I didn't do more to help him, being a fellow bicycler and all. I thought, I live so close to where we ran into him, i could of dropped the kid and wife off back at the house and then would have had room to help him out.

However, a little further down the road I saw several more roadies in the same situation, some in groups, some solo. None of them had backpacks and most were in spandex shorts, with short sleeve shirts or light long sleeve wind-breakers. Then i saw two mtbers right off a trail head putting jackets and pants on that they got out of their backpacks. I also saw a few other mtbers riding with warm clothes on and they all had backpacks and bike packs, which i assume is where they got the warm clothes from.

After that, I then thought to myself, stupid roadies, serves them right. Ya, the weather was supposed to be sunny and great all day, but sh*t, I went on a short 8 mile ride to the summit and back that morning expecting great weather (which I got, since i made it home before the freak storm) and I still brought my backpack filed with no brainer items like warm windbreaker jacket and pants, 1st aid kit, food, extra water, bike tools and some cash. These roadies are probably riding 30 to 50+ miles and they bring just about nothing?

Whats the deal with roadies not being prepared? Do they think **** just ain't going to happen to them?

Still a little curious what happened to the guy I saw at the top of the highway. I imagine those skinny rim brakes were all but useless in the wet snow and those thin tires had to have been worthless as well. Maybe someone else picked him up.

Edit: feel like **** now after getting some perspective from you all. Please read my below posts regarding my POS behavior. I did post this for perspective, which have some more of now, but since it was a pretty shitty thing I did (or didn't do) I understand if you feel the need to give me more perspective.
    Last edited by singletrackmack; 05-12-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    A lot of those "poor roadies" you're having such a good time looking down on are mountain bikers as well. I probably know some of them as I rode with the Reno Wheelmen when I lived in Susanville.

It's the middle of MAY. They got caught in a freak storm.

Get over yourself.

mtbr member

Re: Poor roadies… well actually, maybe it serves them right.

Had a big group mtb ride out in the sticks on a ranch down here in Texas. It was me and my buddy we took my truck (single cab ranger) we started to leave after our ride and 2 roadies came up to us, a couple. The man asked if we could take his chick back a few miles. These were my exact words to him "if she dont mind skiing on the way home she is more then welcome to ride with us" he didnt like that to much. But hey if your gonna drag your chick on a long bike ride that she may not be able to handle you deserve the sarcasm.....poor girl she looked so tired

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    A lot of those "poor roadies" you're having such a good time looking down on are mountain bikers as well. I probably know some of them as I rode with the Reno Wheelmen when I lived in Susanville.

It's the middle of MAY. They got caught in a freak storm.

Get over yourself.
    This. Your only showing your ignorance as a "bicycler". Most folks who have been riding a while just consider themselves cyclist and dabble in a bit of both whether they focus on road or mountain.

Formerly of Kent

OP: Choke yourself, you self righteous POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Aren't you awesome? Didn't some poor guy recently freeze to death on a mountain bike ride? Not being prepared isn't something that's unique to one type of riding.

Karma...it will find you.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Why do people always point out the differences like roadie vs mt biker, skier vs snowboarder ect. instead of embracing the commonalties? I just don't get it.

mtbr member
    A biker is a biker, I can't imagine not helping someone out that is caught in a bad situation no matter what type of bike they are riding.
    Ride like you stole it!

2015 Camber Carbon Expert EVO
    2014 Camber Comp

beater

Wow. Just wow.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    OP: Choke yourself, you self righteous POS.

Yes, like i said, I felt bad for not helping him out at first, but then I thought they where stupid for not brining any supplies. It is May, but it is also the Sierra Nevada mountains, being prepared is very important up here. I never understood why they don't ride with backpacks with emergency items up here.

I do appreciate the perspective and next time I will do more to help. My bad for not doing anything to help out the guy at the top of the pass. I am afraid Karma will most likely get me back for that one.

I do have friends that road bike, but not up here. They bring their mountain bikes when they come up, as well as their gear. However, if that was one of my friends not thinking about being prepared I would feel bad for him. So once again, thanks for the perspective, i feel like **** now, and will go out of my way to help when I see a fellow bicyclist in need regardless of the situation.

You all have every right for calling me out and i did post this to get perspective, which i got.

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    You all have every right for calling me out and i did post this to get perspective, which i got.
    Good. Live and learn, man.

mtbr member

Re: Poor roadies… well actually, maybe it serves them right.

So black smoking on roadies in my diesel is bad? Sorry

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Riding a road bike while carrying a backpack?

Talk about not an enjoyable ride at all. Carring pounds of crap on a mountain bike is nothing, carrying anything other than the basic water bottle and tubes/tools in an under saddle pack on a road bike is pretty much miserable.

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Riding a road bike while carrying a backpack?

Talk about not an enjoyable ride at all. Carring pounds of crap on a mountain bike is nothing, carrying anything other than the basic water bottle and tubes/tools in an under saddle pack on a road bike is pretty much miserable.
    It's all about perspective, and I have never been on a road bike before, so I wouldn't understand. Guess that makes sense though. Those bikes don't look very comfortable to begin with, so I can now imagine the extra gear would suck.

mtbr member
    OP does raise a valid point.

Where I live cycling is very popular as you can ride close 12 months a year road and trail.
    Mtbers around here ride with well stocked packs as, weather here can change very quickly.

Whereas I never see roadies with packs. Its always jerseys with what looks to be an iPhone, power gels,and a spare tube (maybe)
    I ve seen roadies riding the sea to sky highway which is 50miles rolling hairpin coastal highway(locals call it the sea to die as it very dangerous piece of road) with nothing more than a jersey and bottle.
    Ive seen them on the side of road soaking wet with no rain gear in the nasty rain storms that commonly roll through there.
    IME most self respecting mtbers generally plan ahead somewhat.
    Its better to have what you don't need than need what you don't have i feel is good motto.

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    Why do people always point out the differences like roadie vs mt biker, skier vs snowboarder ect. instead of embracing the commonalties? I just don't get it.
    I truly feel bad after reading the replies. During the freak storm I felt bad at first when i didn't help, then tried to justify my inaction by separating roadies from MTBrs, but like you said, we really aint that different. I hope you all can at least understand my ignorance a little.

I promise to help all in need in the future, even if I don't understand their ways.

mtbr member
    at leas you feel bad now.....
    ... you mentioned that this wasn't too far away from your house.
    If i was you in this situation, I'd put guy in the car, take his bike and hold it with my arm out the window if I had to and drive back to the house to dropp the bike off or take the bike rack. Then I'd drop him off at his house or a place of his choice if his house was way off the route i was expecting to take.

Who cares if it's a roadie. He was a cyclist in need and more importantly a man facing bad weather in mountains with no proper clothing.

Hope you learn not to be a d1ick next time...

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
    at leas you feel bad now.....
    ... you mentioned that this wasn't too far away from your house.
    If i was you in this situation, I'd put guy in the car, take his bike and hold it with my arm out the window if I had to and drive back to the house to dropp the bike off or take the bike rack. Then I'd drop him off at his house or a place of his choice if his house was way off the route i was expecting to take.

Who cares if it's a roadie. He was a cyclist in need and more importantly a man facing bad weather in mountains with no proper clothing.

Yes, good points and options for when I think I can't help and I am learning not to be a d1ick to roadies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
    He was a cyclist in need and more importantly a man facing bad weather in mountains with no proper clothing.

My point exactly riding in the mountains is dangerous and no matter if you a roadie or mtber it is your responsibility to take care of your safety not someone else's job.
    Last edited by Reelchef67; 05-13-2014 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I have always been a bit of an elitist when it comes to mtn vs road. However, I do ride road from time to time and find some enjoyment. In this case, I agree with an earlier comment that mentioned just being a cyclist, regardless of discipline. I would go a bit farther and just lump us all in the "fellow human" category.

I think that a mountain biker naturally needs to be more prepared, as they are more likely to be further from civilization in the case of an emergency. But anyone can make mistakes. I think maybe both you and those roadies may have learned their lesson

Thanks for the post.

Br80

mtbr member
    Just curious, if the original post upsets you, what exactly it is that bothers you?

1. The lack of assistance to the rider in need?
    2. The 'serves him right attitude' of the author?
    3. The smug generalizations about road cyclists vs. mtn bikers?

... Maybe it's some combination of the above, or something else I've not touched on?

Because if I were in the same situation as the original poster (based on what I've read in this thread), I also would have left that guy on the side of the road. And these are my reasons why:

Based solely on what I've read in this post, I do not believe the cyclist was in grave danger. If he was, then yes, bad on the OP for driving away. But if the cyclist was merely cold, wet, and uncomfortable because 1. he wasn't appropriately dressed and 2. he failed to check (or take heed of )the weather report before setting foot in the great outdoors, well then it's his own tough luck and hopefully he learned his lesson for next time. Also, the OP mentions that his wife was in the car. If the cyclist was in really bad shape and the OP somehow failed to notice, I think she would prolly object to leaving the guy stranded. (I know, that's yet another assumption).

I have deduced that this incident occurred on Hwy 28 between Tahoe Vista and Tahoe City. (I may be incorrect). But if the cyclist was in fact on Hwy 28, there would be no shortage of traffic to flag down and hitch a ride. So maybe the OP didn't have room in his car and subconsciously realized that someone else with more space in their vehicle could and would come to this rider's aid in short order. That portion of Hwy 28 is lined with houses, it's basically a continuous suburb from Tahoe Vista to Tahoe City. It's not like it's the back of beyond or anything remotely remote.

Generalizations are just that: generalizations. They exist for a reason. Another term along those lines is profiling. We all do it to a greater or lesser degree. When used appropriately, I believe it's absolutely fine, and in certain situations, necessary and wise. Of course other times it's just plain wrong. It all depends...

By the way, I have aided many cyclists, both roadies and mtn bikers in the past. I have also ridden or driven right by many other cyclists that prolly could have used a helping hand (but didn't seem to be in any kind of danger). If that makes me a d.i.c.k. in the eyes of some, I'm OK with that.

Cheers!
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

thecentralscrutinizer
    Funny thing to me is that I personally don't carry more gear when mtbing than I do when on the road.

Maybe that person/roadie was a tourist and didn't have all his gear. Who knows?
    OP:
    I think your conscience has gotten the best of you because you know you missed an opportunity to help the guy out. You're okay, we all make mistakes and learn from them.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewadley View Post
    A biker is a biker, I can't imagine not helping someone out that is caught in a bad situation no matter what type of bike they are riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    I agree on both counts!

Just wow!

mtbr member extraordinair
    If I see a rider (any kind, even motorcyclists) who needs assistance, I always stop and at least ask. Even if I'm not able to transport them and the bike, I will offer to call for help. Thus far my help has always been refused. But if I were ever in the same situation, I would appreciate the help from fellow cyclists.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A "freak snow storm with blizzard like conditions" is no joke. People die from that kind of thing.

mountain biker froze to death, sad story

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast