Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    ^^^This^^^

OP, glad you say you got some perspective. You needed it.

And what is with the spandex hate anyway? I love spandex. And I am like 90% mountain biker with an occasional foray into road riding.

mtbr member

...this type of stuff, and just pluggin through it, makes a person harder than woodpecker lips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catsruletn View Post

And what is with the spandex hate anyway? I love spandex. And I am like 90% mountain biker with an occasional foray into road riding...
    Yeah, I don't understand it either. It's like people saying that they love running but they will refuse to wear sneakers and will wear snow boots instead

It's called proper tool for proper job. I hate riding in my baggies. They bunch up, they limit my leg movements and get caught up on the seat all the time whenever I stand up for some trail features. But, some people value cool more than comfort, that's ok, but not everyone needs to be cool.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I understand that cyclists are a community. I have given up my tube or rode home and back to help a roadie out with a pump, I almost always offer my multi to anyone on the side of the road ( especially the ladies .

That said though, I would never expect someone with their wife and kid in the car to just let me hop on in. As I would never pick up any sort of hitch hiker, whether he had a bike or not. Risk vs Reward is just too far off. Sometimes you make your own luck and you have to learn from your mistakes. I ride flat shoes for two reasons 1) lower risk of injury 2) if I need to walk, I can do so with a normal stride. Both points help me to get myself home if things go wrong.

btw if you are stranded on the road, can't you just call a cab ? Might cost an arm and a leg to get them out there, but it was your choice to be there. Some mtbrs have to get airlifted out of the woods to get to a hospital, so a cab ride is easy and cheap by comparison. There is always the ambulance if you are suffering hypothermia.

Sorry if my opinion seems crass, but I guess I am more loner than community minded. Never had nor expected anyone to make up for my mistakes or lack of preparation. So I learned to be conservative in my decision-making.

Again, sorry to sound like a stick in the mud. I know lots of you guys have had great experiences. I am just offering my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sorry to pile on after you've come around... but what seems most bothersome is not only did he need help, he asked for it. And you drove away. Put yourself in his shoes (or even better... your kid a decade or two from now), and ask what you'd think of someone that drove away after you/your kid asked someone for help.

Just imagine how high your horse could have been if you had helped him.

Trail Connoisseur
    This is an interesting thread. It seams like there are a lot of people who would like to call the OP an A-hole because this rider was not prepared. Yeah, it was a freak storm, in the time of year when freak storms happen all the time. I'm not for leaving people freezing on the side of the road regardless of what type of bike they ride but there is definitely a mentality with many riders (road and mountain) that caring extra gear ruins their ride... even someone in this thread made a comment like, caring a pack on a road bike??? That would be no fun at all. I'm guessing the rider wished he would have inconvenienced himself with a little more gear and was fine as he was close to civilization and probably in cell range. I don't think that the OP intended ill will to the rider but just pointed out a trend of unpreparedness that is rampant amongst the road riding masses... your not racing the Tour de France, you don't have a support car, carry some gear.

I seriously hope that every person who has said something negative about the OP has taken time away from there family to help an ill prepared rider every time the situation arose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The guy had his wife and kid in the car, no room for the guy and his bike, or all of the riders friends up the road plus their gear. What is he supposed to do? Make trip after trip taking these people home? The best you can do is offer to call someone for him, but that's about it. I would never let someone in my car that I didn't know, especially if my wife and kids are with me.

It sucks that they got stuck and were cold, but if you didn't have room there is nothing you can do about it.

I was cold and miserable and cold on my rainy/snowy Saturday ride, but I just sucked it up and rode the 15 miles back home (no jacket).

Singletrackmac
    OP here, just thought I should add a few more details regarding the situation, not that it in anyway justifies me not helping out this bicyclist.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    A "freak snow storm with blizzard like conditions" is no joke. People die from that kind of thing.

mountain biker froze to death, sad story
    It was a freak storm and the temp dropped from almost 50 degrees down to about 34-32. However, I don't think the guy was in any kind of mortal danger being that about 1 to 1.5 miles down the highway is the town of Kings Beach with a Safeway and Starbucks and plenty of other businesses for shelter. Roads were wet, but snow was not sticking to them and did not end up doing so due to the warm temps and sun heating them up that morning. But that next 1 to 1.5 miles on a wet downhill with those skinny tires and rim brakes I assume would not have been very pleasant or possibly even safe.

If this were out in BFE somewhere I think I would have done what I could to help. I hope I would have, and after this thread I know I now will for sure.

With that said, since the guy was heading towards Kings Beach he may not of known that a town was so close since the direction he appeared to be coming from is about 10+ miles from Truckee with nothing really in-between so given that…

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    If I see a rider (any kind, even motorcyclists) who needs assistance, I always stop and at least ask. Even if I'm not able to transport them and the bike, I will offer to call for help. Thus far my help has always been refused. But if I were ever in the same situation, I would appreciate the help from fellow cyclists.
    I should at the very least rolled down my window to ask if he knew where he was going and if he knew there was shelter not far ahead. Also, I should have checked to make sure he had a cell phone, which i totally assume he did, but you never know and as I said earlier I didn't think he was in any kind of mortal danger, but a simple question of "are you alright" would have let me know for sure.

I should have done at least something to help the guy out, even if it was as little as rolling down my window to check on the guy and make sure he knew where he was going, where to find shelter and offer him my cell to use if he did not have one. However, I think I need to do more than that from now on if/when I see a roadie in need to make up for not doing at least the bare minimum to help this guy.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. So by your own account, Mr. Singletrackmack, the nearest Starbucks was OVER ONE MILE AWAY and you left that fellow bicycler forlorn by the side of the road to fend for himself while you smugly and selfishly drove away with no regard for the completely avoidable mental and physical anguish that you alone could have alleviated and that he no doubt suffered???

wow. just wow.

Choke yourself, you self righteous POS.

If i was you in this situation, I'd put guy in the car, take his bike and hold it with my arm out the window if I had to and drive back to the house to dropp the bike off or take the bike rack. Then I'd drop him off at his house or a place of his choice if his house was way off the route i was expecting to take.

...because his comfort and well being is your primary responsibility, nay, it is your sole purpose in life. Your wife? Your child? Pshaw!!!! They are but mere insignificant specks compared to that glorious Adonis that you so carelessly disregarded and abandoned. And not only he, but also every other precious and innocent lamb beautifully clad in the tightest and most miminally protective attire that found themselves lost in the wilderness who hath strayed from the safety of the shepherd's verdant and pastoral meadows. Their protective natural coats shaven bare to expose the wonderment and glory laying beneath. Yea, they expose themselves selflessly so that we may admire the beauty within....

Hope you learn not to be a d1ick next time.

...you hateful and bigoted sorry excuse for a human being. Embrace the beauty of lycra, you boorish philistine!!!!!!

Poor roadies… well actually, maybe it serves them right.-wi4.jpg

Poor Mr. Singletrackmack... well actually, maybe it serves you right.
    Last edited by parkmeister; 05-13-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    A lot of those "poor roadies" you're having such a good time looking down on are mountain bikers as well. I probably know some of them as I rode with the Reno Wheelmen when I lived in Susanville.

It's the middle of MAY. They got caught in a freak storm.

Get over yourself.
    if you are going to ride in that area, be prepared.

these things happen.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Riding a road bike while carrying a backpack?

Talk about not an enjoyable ride at all. Carring pounds of crap on a mountain bike is nothing, carrying anything other than the basic water bottle and tubes/tools in an under saddle pack on a road bike is pretty much miserable.
    i agree with you on that even though i don't ride road.

i do, however ride a cross bike on combined road/dirt trips and at first, i tried it with a camelbak. talk about pain! the drop bar riding position does not jibe well with wearing a pack. but i DO stuff my jersey pockets as full as i can stuff them when i head out on my cross.

we don't get many freak storms here in the bay area but the fog and cold can come in hard and fast, making a warm, sunny day a cold, clammy one.

again, be prepared.

mtbr member
    Just a few months ago I recall a thread about stopping and helping someone with a flat tire vs not stopping and helping them out. I remember arguing that people should at least stop to see if someone is ok but I was bombarded with replies that people should be prepared and held accountable. This time I'm going to play devils advocate and agree that the OP did the right thing. I'm not saying he needs to drive the roadie anywhere but at least he stopped and checked in on him. There were a ton of others stuck in the weather as well, is the OP supposed to just take the responsibility and help everyone? Sure, if nobody was in his car he may have helped out but he had his wife and kid in there. I don't think he's being an a55hole for going upon his way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewadley View Post
    A biker is a biker, I can't imagine not helping someone out that is caught in a bad situation no matter what type of bike they are riding.
    A human being is a human being. i can't imagine not helping anyone caught in a bad situation period.

mtbr member
    There are two things going on here...helping/not helping a cyclist when he had family etc. in the car and the crass anti-roadie thing. I ride road, and don't often carry much with me beyond food/drink/flat fix etc. Fine..you didn't stop b/c you couldn't. Did he have a phone? Could you have offered yours/call for help? But the "roadies are d-bags/serves him right for wearing spandex"..really?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i do, however ride a cross bike on combined road/dirt trips and at first, i tried it with a camelbak. talk about pain! the drop bar riding position does not jibe well with wearing a pack. but i DO stuff my jersey pockets as full as i can stuff them when i head out on my cross.
    Then how about a frame bag?

Poor roadies… well actually, maybe it serves them right.-gedc0273.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EDR
    OP, don't take all the comments about you being a self-righteous prick and all too seriously. If you look hard enough at this site you'll see that's largely what it is made up of. I mean I couldn't possibly count how many times folks on this site call out overweight people, or people who like to watch team sports like football, but yet they'll goo over the TDF and neg rep anyone who event mentions what a D-Bag Lance Armstrong is...(wait...wait...it's comming). Ya, of all the people bashing you none of them have cheated on their taxes, or their spouse/sig other. They never smoke a cigar or drink alchohol. They don't partake in mind numbing marajuana or over-the-counter meds for more than pure pain control. They never drive distracted, they never JUDGE!

Self righteousness is staring many right in the face.

Anyway to your point, you did nothing wrong other than post your ignorant views on mtbr. Now that you've been all-schooled-up the world is a better place.

Hell Track
    I don't have an opinion on your actions. I wasn't there, but I suggest you take a few road rides and see another perspective of cycling. It's quite fun. Different from Mtn biking but enjoyable all the same. Nothing like catching up with another roadie, getting on his wheel and working together and pushing each other without even speaking to each other. I have this experience quite often and it's really fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkmeister View Post
    WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. So by your own account, Mr. Singletrackmack, the nearest Starbucks was OVER ONE MILE AWAY and you left that fellow bicycler forlorn by the side of the road to fend for himself while you smugly and selfishless drove away with no regard for the completely avoidable mental and physical anguish that you alone could have alleviated and that he no doubt suffered???

wow. just wow.

Choke yourself, you self righteous POS.

If i was you in this situation, I'd put guy in the car, take his bike and hold it with my arm out the window if I had to and drive back to the house to dropp the bike off or take the bike rack. Then I'd drop him off at his house or a place of his choice if his house was way off the route i was expecting to take.

...because his comfort and well being is your primary responsibility, nay, it is your sole purpose in life. Your wife? Your child? Pshaw!!!! They are but mere insignificant specks compared to that glorious Adonis that you so carelessly disregarded and abandoned. And not only he, but also every other precious and innocent lamb beautifully clad in the tightest and most miminally protective attire that found themselves lost in the wilderness who hath strayed from the safety of the shepherd's verdant and pastoral meadows. Their protective natural coats shaven bare to expose the wonderment and glory laying beneath. Yea, they expose themselves selflessly so that we may admire the beauty within....

Hope you learn not to be a d1ick next time.

...you hateful and bigoted sorry excuse for a human being. Embrace the beauty of lycra, you boorish philistine!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wi4.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	892923

Poor Mr. Singletrackmack... well actually, maybe it serves you right.
    ummm, not sure why you quoted me in your sarcastic coment. Maybe learn how to quote multiple responses correctly so it's clear to all of us what you're trying to write.

I was pointing out the fact that I'd try to help the guy. Since when, offering a helping hand is regarded as bad behavior. Yes, I care about my wife and kids ins a car but If i can help a guy out without going out of my way (which this would most likely not be such) why would I not want to do it. It's called good manners and behavior and I get teh feeling that the current generations of elitists are lacking it more and more.

My comment about him not being a d1ick next time referred to the fact that not only did he not offer help but he also ridiculed the poor guy.

mtbr member
    This is either totally unbelievable or a troll. Who needs perspective on helping another human being? Who cares what he was riding? Hopefully the OP does realize his mistake.

BTW side story - this weekend I saw a gentleman riding up the trail on a Road Bike, he was on the older side - Very impressive I have to say - it didn't seem like anyone questioned his "bike"!
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not sure if roadies or mtb'ers are d!cks but your average mtbr'er these days tends to be a judgemental pr!ck.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    People make mistakes.

The road riders for not being a little more prepared.
    The OP for not doing more to help.
    Some of the posters here for slamming the OP so hard.

And I'm sure I'll show bad judgement again before too long.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Poor roadies… well actually, maybe it serves them right.

Good for the op for learning something and taking all the abuse like a grown up.

I ride on the road. I would never carry a backpack. Maybe some arm and leg warmers and a jacket if I thought the weather would warrant it. But I was thinking of skiing near there this last weekend for the last time and checked the weather and snow was not in the horizon.

Riding a road bike, you don't have the same kinds of mechanicals; you try to be more aerodynamic; and you certainly don't account for improbable freak storms even though you should. So, your packing is mostly surrounding the mindset of not bonking and repairing flats. I feel for them and would ride like hell to get off the mountain.

OP, don't beat yourself up though. It's done. Nobody died (that I've heard). And everybody involved learned something. Like me: I should have gone skiing.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Riding a road bike while carrying a backpack?

Talk about not an enjoyable ride at all. Carring pounds of crap on a mountain bike is nothing, carrying anything other than the basic water bottle and tubes/tools in an under saddle pack on a road bike is pretty much miserable.
    Freezing to death is a lot less fun. Taking responsibility for your own safety is part of being an adult.Weather in mountainous areas is always unpredictable weather can change fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Because a mountain biker has never ever been ill prepared... I've seen people all the time out on the trails miles from their cars with no water, helmets, food, tools, tubes, jackets, etc... Don't think I ever thought "serves them right, stupid mountain bikers and their baggy clothes," though. Ill prepared is ill prepared, not sure why spandex or the type of bike comes into play. I think the reception to this thread could've been a little bit better if there wasn't the us vs. them mentality underlying it. Surprisingly enough to some on here, we're not all strictly mountain bikers!

the half breed devil
    " I think the reception to this thread could've been a little bit better if there wasn't the us vs. them mentality underlying it."

good point.

i am them, i am us...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast