mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Poor Farms ride w/ pics.

Well, had a great time @ poor farms this weekend with a couple of friends and my GF. Also one top of that the LBS was kind enough to loan me a brand new Gary Fisher Cake to play on. Poor Farms wasnít the place I really wanted to try it out out, but I really didnít have much choice. Got to try out the new style shifters and have to say Iím not really impressed with them. Specially since you have to use two fingers to up shift the front derailleur. The disk brakes were great and the bike itself was was a lot of fun to play on. It was my first time with a real FS bike. In some was I could tell my riding was improved some, but at the same time I couldnít feel the trail Definitely not like my Sugar.

The BIG guy was there and was a little more prepared to ride this time out. Heís been riding more on his own. Iím finding that heís turning into a bike addict as the hollers and whoops he was letting out will attest too. But because of his size, heís a bit rough on his bike. In fact by the end of the ride, we found out he slightly bent his seat post!!! My GF was also having a great time. She did end up riding off of one the little bridges in to the creek. Well, I thought to myself that she was now turned off to riding. Not so. She got up cussed a little and got right back on her bike and told me ďlets go!!!Ē Damn I love her!! She got a nice bruise on her knee and is a bit sore but I can tell she is starting to learn. So far she hasnít told me no whenever I ask if she wants a ride. She wonít go by herself, but will ride with me whenever I ask.

Well, I know this isnít a great write up, but itís late and Iím pretty tired tonight. Have a good ride ya all!!

BTW, My large friend just hit the LBS tent sale this weekend and bought some shoes (first time), shorts and other things. I think I created a monster!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

more Poor Farms Pics

More pics later. The pics are too large and I have to cut 'em down

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Fyi

bikes will roll right over roots if you let them.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

some more pics!!!

nmnmnmnmn

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Why are you guys walking down that sweet hill?

I'd hit that thing at full tilt!

Kearsarge crawler
    That Trek frame is huge, how big is he? That fork looks like it's been in the drier too long.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

few more here

nmnmnmnmnmnm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree....

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Why are you guys walking down that sweet hill?

I'd hit that thing at full tilt!

I tried to get them to ride it, but this is a VERY beginer crowd here!! I did A LOT of waiting. Most of them have only been on a few rides and are still getting "broken in". The fact is they are riding!!

Kearsarge crawler
    I think it's great you are introducing them to MTBing. I wish I could get more people up my way to catch the bug. Before you know it they will be riding all terrain, I started out the same way.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    I think it's great you are introducing them to MTBing. I wish I could get more people up my way to catch the bug. Before you know it they will be riding all terrain, I started out the same way.

10 out of 10 to your girlfriend. Hang on to her mate and for christs sake get her some armour. The good ones are thin on the ground

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think he's something like.....

That Trek frame is huge, how big is he? That fork looks like it's been in the drier too long.
    6' 8", 280lbs. I've been kinda worried about that rear wheel on his bike, but seems to be holding up just fine. Like I stated above though he did end up slightly bending the seat post. *lol* He's turning out to love this sport. As far as the bike goes, it was the largest thing we could find in his price range. That thing is freakishly HUGH!!!! Just happened that the LBS had it in stock when we went looking. It was the only one they had that would fit him. I'm 6' and I can't lean over the handle bars to undo the front skewer. When I get on it I feel like a little kid who's trying to ride a "big boys" bike again.

hand me the dice
    great ride report! did you get to take the cake on that one ladder jump? its not that big, but its fun and would be the closest thing to a challenge for that rig at PF.
    "pain is only a pulse...if you just stop feeling it"

banned
    Nice pics C&B! When you get a moment, could I get you to post your impressions of the Cake? I'm starting to save up for a FS rig, and I'm very interested in that particular one.

Thx!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Big Guy

Get your friend on a 29er. I am 6'5 220. 29ers are built for people like him and me. Get him over on the 29er board here and have him test ride a couple of the XL 29ers. I

Hοmo Velo
    I wish I could get more people up my way to catch the bug.
    Are you sure that would be good thing?

I can think of many areas where it wouldn't be.
    If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

Still chuggin' along
    Quote Originally Posted by TryAndStopMe
    great ride report! did you get to take the cake on that one ladder jump? its not that big, but its fun and would be the closest thing to a challenge for that rig at PF.
    Where is that? I've been there a bunch of times but haven't seen anything like it.

Great ride report! SOunds like you guys had a great time. After seeing the pictures, I'm really dying for a ride there!

hand me the dice
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    Where is that? I've been there a bunch of times but haven't seen anything like it.

Great ride report! SOunds like you guys had a great time. After seeing the pictures, I'm really dying for a ride there!
    kristina,

if you start out on the trailhead that is a little ways past the port-o-potties its part of one of the lines that runs down the big hill. sorry i can't be more specific (there are about 15 different lines that crisscross up and down that hill as you know). its one of the lines that doesn't shoot straight down the hill, and kinda meanders to the left as you fly down it.

how have you been by the way? i haven't ridden with you since wakefield ages ago. i think it was you, dom, mark and i that night.

your pal,
    chance

Still chuggin' along
    Hi Chance,

Yep, that was me then. I finally found out what the loose headset feel was- my fork bushings were worn. I haven't been on as many night rides lately as I would like. It seems that everytime I'm ready to walk out the door something else pops up. I'm hoping to go tonight. The last one I was on, I slipped on some ice and fell down the ravine. That was pretty interesting! I felt bad for Joe trying to pull me out of there with all of the icy water. Have you been going on the night rides?

Anyway, thanks for the directions on PF. I have a general idea of where that is then. Is it somewhat new? Or is there more territory I should be exploring?

Cheers,
    Kristina

hand me the dice

waketink

Kristina,

I'm not sure if its new or not. I rode at PF for the first time about 2 months ago because all of the trails up here were swamps and PF was nice and dry (it takes me an hour and a half to get there so i usually only go there when there aren't any other options).

was it joe romano that pulled you out of the creek? i rode with him last wednesday night at wakefield. that was the first nightride i had been on this year. i'll be at more nightrides now that waketink has dried up a bit!

your pal,
    chance

Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    Hi Chance,

Yep, that was me then. I finally found out what the loose headset feel was- my fork bushings were worn. I haven't been on as many night rides lately as I would like. It seems that everytime I'm ready to walk out the door something else pops up. I'm hoping to go tonight. The last one I was on, I slipped on some ice and fell down the ravine. That was pretty interesting! I felt bad for Joe trying to pull me out of there with all of the icy water. Have you been going on the night rides?

Anyway, thanks for the directions on PF. I have a general idea of where that is then. Is it somewhat new? Or is there more territory I should be exploring?

Cheers,
    Kristina

bob
    mtbr member

Where in VA is poorfarm?

Poorfarm looks kind of like Walnut outside of Charlottesville, which I love to ride. Where is it?

Bob

Still chuggin' along
    Ha, no, it was Joe P. Luckily, I stopped about a foot from the water so I didn't go in but my bike was completely in and floated on top. That was kind of funny looking. I hope it doesn't happen again, that was pretty scary. I was wondering if I was ever going to stop falling!

Yeah, its nice to see the trails finally starting to dry out! Hopefully, it'll be drier this year than it was last year.