mtbr member

... and if we just ... POLL: Best practical jokes?

Let's hear those trailside pranks you've all pulled, or had pulled on you. Below is one of my all-time favorites.

This one started as a joke on me. It was about 15 years ago. It was a few days before leaving for a 10 day vacation to attend the Big Bear and Mammoth NORBA Nationals (they were back to back that year). My girlfriend called me to tell me that she had crashed the night before and bent her fork. Now realize that she's a tiny lady and her bike was a custom Ibis with a short low-clearance rigid fork. Serious problem finding a replacement on short notice.

So, I went to our local bike shop (where she said she had left it) only to discover that she and the shop owner had conspired to pull one on me...she hadn't crashed and the bike was actually fine. Damn them both!

But, I decided to turn the tables. I waited a couple of hours and then called her to tell her that everything was gonna be okay. The conversation went something like this,

ME: "Well it took some doing hon' but we'll be able to pick up a new fork on our way to Big Bear, and I can install it once we're there."

HER: "What do you mean? Didn't you go to the shop?"

ME: "What for? The fork is bent. I called Ibis and had them fax the drawings and specs on the fork to Richard and Mantis Cycles. It's gonna cost us but Richard has already cut and mitered the tubes and is probably brazing it up right now. We'll swing by Mantis on the way out.

HER: "You're gonna hate me...."

ME: "Aww don't worry hon. You didn't mean to bend it. You know you're gonna have to race it unpainted....

HER: "No, you're really gonna hate me!"

And that's when I let her off the hook. Not bad eh? She never tried to put one over on me again.

34N 118W

backfire

I'll try and keep this short:

A friend I work with commutes on a beater, no name hybrid / comfort bike and parks it downstairs from his office, but near mine.

Another guy who works in the back warehouse came in and commented on the bike, thinking it was from my stable. I brilliantly come up with "I'll sell it to ya for $25". He says "really? Deal!". He's stoked that he scored a new cheap ride. I had to leave early so I told him to go upstairs and give the money to my bud (the real owner, unbeknowst to him.) My plan was that when he said "I'm here to pay you for the bike", he would discover it was a prank. (small office and we're all jokers...)

That's where it all went crazy....he went upstairs to pay, friend is on the phone, so guy turns around, goes back down, leaves the money on MY desk, loads up "his" new bike and drives it home. Fvck. At this point I'm gone and clueless to what's happened. Friend has to get a ride home once he finds out his commuter is gone. Needless to say, he's a tad PO.

I ride the fixie in to work the next day. My friend promptly nabs it, throws it in the back of his Bronco, locks the truck and says "When I get my bike back, you can have yours back." I tell the dude who bought it that it was all a joke and we need to drive to his house NOW and get the bike. Of course its not that easy. The bike is now at his friend's house being tuned up and he's not home. Cut to: me getting off the train that night, bikeless and thumbing a ride home.

It all worked out in the end but wasn't worth the brief laugh

Tear it all out! SuperModerator

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot
    Let's hear those trailside pranks you've all pulled, or had pulled on you.

It was at the '98 mtbr gathering in Waterdown Ontario Canada**.

Our ride of the day was at the Kelso, Glen Eden ski area at Milton Ont. As these were my local trails I was leading the "medium" ride that day. In my merry group was none other than mtbr Passion lurker-spazz Brad Trent (where the hell *is* Trenty anyway?)

On a choice piece of singletrack Trenty zoomed off ahead while I set a nice pace for the rest of the group. It was a lovely day.

Eventually I rounded a bend and saw the motionless body of a mtb'er lying in the weeds at the side of the trail. It all happened so fast as to wonder who this was, how they got here or why.

As a life-long firefighter and emergency medical responder I jumped off the bike, whipped off my helmet and knelt to check out the crashee.

"Well Mikey what took you so long" was the reply from the now fully-smiling Trenty. I'd been set up by Mr. Joker himself. "I wanted to test your reactions".

Haw, haw, haw, the laugh was on Ol' Mike. In hindsight I should have given him instant mouth-to-mouth then the joke would have been on him. I've done it to uglier people, but not by much, so I'm sure I wouldn't have lost my cookies.

**This is the gathering that was featured in the Nov '98 editon of Mountain Bike magazine. This was the 2nd ever mtbr Gathering (LeeL's Whistler BC Gathering was the first "real" one; there was a mini one in the fall of '97 at Waterdown also).
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

There's no app for this.

I was actually there...

well not really but it's how I got *here*. Jim

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...3@.ef90ae8/190

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    well not really but it's how I got *here*. Jim

Yeah that weekend changed quite a few lives Jim. Heck celly even met his new bride Spike there for the first time and I met the nicest person I've ever known - the late, great Dalerider (sorrr-eee everyone else is equal 2nd best!).

Those were the days and Dalerider even penned a poem in its honor -

[SIZE=4]The Last Ride[/SIZE]

A ribbon of riders before me I see
    sinewy threads between deep green trees
    translucent rays of morning sun
    stand out the jerseys the riders have on

Oh I long to catch the moment
    for in my mind Iíll always foment
    the sight of silent riders weaving
    solemn in their thoughts of leaving

Before unknown and now connected
    each others moves are still reflected
    in the images that remain within each one.
    I pray the ride is never done

Chris Cannon, Dalerider1, July '98
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Are you talking to me?

Great article...

Are they making one in the 1.5 standard, so I can run one on my Gemini? Does it have a travel adjust, from say, 5-12 inches?

It took me a moment to check the calandar.
    gfy

jrm
    mtbr member

There was the time when Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot
    Let's hear those trailside pranks you've all pulled, or had pulled on you. Below is one of my all-time favorites.

This one started as a joke on me. It was about 15 years ago. It was a few days before leaving for a 10 day vacation to attend the Big Bear and Mammoth NORBA Nationals (they were back to back that year). My girlfriend called me to tell me that she had crashed the night before and bent her fork. Now realize that she's a tiny lady and her bike was a custom Ibis with a short low-clearance rigid fork. Serious problem finding a replacement on short notice.

So, I went to our local bike shop (where she said she had left it) only to discover that she and the shop owner had conspired to pull one on me...she hadn't crashed and the bike was actually fine. Damn them both!

But, I decided to turn the tables. I waited a couple of hours and then called her to tell her that everything was gonna be okay. The conversation went something like this,

ME: "Well it took some doing hon' but we'll be able to pick up a new fork on our way to Big Bear, and I can install it once we're there."

HER: "What do you mean? Didn't you go to the shop?"

ME: "What for? The fork is bent. I called Ibis and had them fax the drawings and specs on the fork to Richard and Mantis Cycles. It's gonna cost us but Richard has already cut and mitered the tubes and is probably brazing it up right now. We'll swing by Mantis on the way out.

HER: "You're gonna hate me...."

ME: "Aww don't worry hon. You didn't mean to bend it. You know you're gonna have to race it unpainted....

HER: "No, you're really gonna hate me!"

And that's when I let her off the hook. Not bad eh? She never tried to put one over on me again.
    Backed out my Avid brake pads while i was fixing a flat on first divide and i almost died...

Ride what you want!!
    Oh, we were at a local race above Fresno when my buddy made a stop and jumped into the local crapper to get rid of some extra weight. What can you do when your buddy leaves his bike leaning against he porta john and no one else is around.... I took it and hid it and then watched.

It's funny as hell to watch your buddy take two or three laps around the crapper as he tries to remember if he leaned the bike against the john or if he did something else with it. Then the look of panic starts to set in and he starts to ask folks if they'd seen his bike. Of course, I'm a row of parked cars over peeking through windshields and laughing my ass off at the whole situation.

Kind of cruel, but fun.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Back in high school, I gave another friend of mine a lesson in the proper way to lock up a bike. I forget what it was but it was a nice road bike, expensive compared to the after-school salary my buddy earned at that time. Anyhoo, I noticed he had locked his bike to a sign post that didn't have a sign on it. Well, with the help of a taller friend, closer to the end of the school day, we lifted the bike complete with unlocked lock over the top of the post and hid his bike around the corner as we waited for the bell. Out he came, stunned that his bike had been "stolen". He frantically looked around at all the students, in the parking lot, back to the sign post and then he spotted us laughing! Who knew I could run so fast! I did get a minor beating but it was well worth it!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member

Today

[SIZE=2]Called GF "from jail" this morning...it was pretty funny at first...asked her to come bail me out.....She wanted to know what I was in jail for and I could not think of anything (bad planning)...she thought I was being "evasive" ...figured I really f upped and got pissed....she hung up on me! Then she called the placer county jail trying to track me down....of course I was at work.......we'll probably talk again next month.

s
    [/SIZE]
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

avg. joe

... and if we just ... A few years ago

my college roommate and I picked up a guy from down the hall and hit the local sites. On the way back to the dorm, our buddy was starting to fall asleep in the backseat. I was able to watch his eyes close for one second, then two, and then three...you how it goes when you are trying to stay awake but you are losing the battle. Well, I elbowed my roommate and got him to turn around to watch what was about to happen. On signal, I steered hard from one side of the interstate to the other while we both screamed. Our buddy almost ruined his pants and my back seat.

Thinking about our friend's eyes popping open and hearing him scream for the impending crash still brings back a good laugh.

Tom
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

ballbuster

I have a bud...

...who worked at a bike shop. He told me that the employees would do stuff to each other, like change the brake cables with the shifter cables, so the brake levers shift the gears.

Also, and this is one I borrowed, he used to cut a hole in an innertube, insert a jingle bell, and patch it back up and install on a buddy's wheel without his knowlege. It would jingle around as the wheel spins. TFF!

Flyin Canine
    A co-worker I wanted to get revenge on always parked his communter bike in the storeroom at work. I went in and removed the inner tubes from his wheels and then remounted the tires. Man you should have seen him running around the store for like an hour asking everyone "who would do such a thing?" When I finally told him it was me and that it was a joke he was soooo pissed, it was great.