Thread: Pocket Llama?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Pocket Llama?

Anyone have any trail experience on a Bike Friday Pocket Llama they want to share?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Huh. Didn't even know what it was before I looked it up. Sorry, no help from me.

-Rob
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

Known Mountainbiker
    I've never riden one but have been on rides with them. Basically they're a 20 inch wheeled mtb with moderate suspension. The frame dims are custom and fit like a big bike. i.e. BB to saddle to bars. Chainstay length and BB height blah blah blah. The riding postion is not that of a bmx bike. They're not rickity or delicate

Check this thread and this dude is tall: DOD Epic In Costa Rica

Think about how a 29er rolls over stuff compared to a 26er. So the 20er will be ruff on ruff stuff but as for traveling with it......that's the niche.

I saw photos of someone riding the sea otter on one somewhere too.

In conclosure.......they're great on doubletrack during a vacation but will have limits on some singletracks.

rockhoundmtb (stephens at bikefriday dot com) works at BikeFriday and is also an avid mountain biker. I'd get a hold of him for the best info.

Caz

Disclosure: I have a BikeFriday road bike and when I travel, I'm glad I have it. I do not advertise, promote, or work for BF.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Disclosure: I have a BikeFriday road bike and when I travel, I'm glad I have it. I do not advertise, promote, or work for BF.
    thanks for all the info. i too travel a lot and was thinking about the Llama version, so i wouldn't be limited if there was a trail i wanted to hit. perhaps i should stick with the road version (pocket rocket). what do you have? and why?

Known Mountainbiker
    I have the PocketRocket set up with 105 and a Capreo rear hub. I got that model because it came with drop bars and rack mounts. They can get pretty pricey but I can't even recall how much I paid, I don't even care anymore; it was worth it.

It's pretty cool to step out of an airport, pull a bike from a suitcase, make the suitcase into trailer, throw you stuff in the trailer slap on a helmet and ride away.

Caz

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have the PocketRocket set up with 105 and a Capreo rear hub.
    Caz
    yeah, that's the one i was thinking about, but with the STI touring bars. just need to make a decision and pull the trigger. i suppose the Llama would just have too much drag on the road. perhaps i should just use my mtb at home for the trails and be happy to ride on the road while travelling.

Devo

bike friday

back in the day, my social/cycling circles/group rides, etc use to mix with Jeff Linder, whom from what i use to know, he had owned or was partners in bike friday. I know Jeff was or still is a 747 pilot. bike fridays around here were pretty cool. there was even a tandem around with Ti seatpost booms, and i think the booms could slide for adjustment and there was a schreader valve somewhere, i think, to pressuize the boom, which in turn would change the flex/suspension character of the ride.
    i had also got to know a Pocket Lama (the dirt version, right?)
    the engineering was way cool
    the concept pretty cool
    but...
    the impression that sticks with me...
    is the mega mud build up around the little wheels.

i think the road version kicks butt.
    for those who travel by air all the time, and want to ride, its THE answer.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Brass Nipples!
    Another more expensive option is a custom frame with S&S couplers. The resulting product packs in a box that doesn't trigger an oversize charge, but you have a full sized bike with only a few ounces of extra weight.

I have a Seven coupled road bike on which I've ridden thousands of miles including several double centuries. There is no detectable difference in stiffness between it and my other bikes. I think a coupled 29er would be ideal. With a fork that locked out and a variety of tires, you could use it for anything from mountain biking to road riding.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo

i think the road version kicks butt.
    for those who travel by air all the time, and want to ride, its THE answer.
    i too realized this after doing some research. these pocket bikes seem like a pretty neat deal for travellers. just wish the mtb version was a little more for single track vs trekking.

Known Mountainbiker

Demand

By the looks of their website, their major demographics are that of the... what's current politically correct way to say older people with money and like to travel and bike tour? I don't think they get a demand for travel mtbs (yet) because they'd be all over it. They're actually heading the other direction with an even smaller folder with 16in wheels giving a whole new meaning to "pocket bike".

I don't know what I'd do if my travels included mtbing. I'd probably pay the $$ to ship the big bike.

Again, I'm glad I have one in my arsenal.

Caz (not old or rich but like to travel and take a bike)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    By the looks of their website, their major demographics are that of the... what's current politically correct way to say older people with money and like to travel and bike tour?)
    just say it-- "old fart"....what's rich? evryone has a diff opinion on that one... i am neither either.

but, i think you are accurate in your assessment. i just travel a lot and want to bike instead of watching cnn re-runs in the hotel fitness center. i think i will get their road version with a little wider tire. thanks for the banter.