mtbr member
    Sep 2010

POC.. knee only or knee/shin

I am looking for one of the most comfy pads on the market, but which one would you get,
    I think the one with the shin is going to be too hot and hard to do climb in.
    Doing trail riding/XC, just looking for a bit more precaution,
    can always add something like lizard skin for the shin when extra protection is needed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looking at the photos, I'd say the first one.

mtbr member
    For knee only, super comfy, forget it's there protection, Fox Launch Pro is hard to beat. Also, it has a hardshell over the kneecap, giving superior protection for very little gain in weight or bulk.

Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    For knee only, super comfy, forget it's there protection, Fox Launch Pro is hard to beat. Also, it has a hardshell over the kneecap, giving superior protection for very little gain in weight or bulk.

Yeah, I saw generally good reviews on those,
    how well can you pedal and climb with them?

I would like to get them to compare to the POC, to be honest the fox looks like have a little better protection on the sides.

mtbr member
    661 kyle straits are another option. POC stuff looks very nice. They are priced higher than most but their quality is very high. I ride with their Receptor Flow lid and it is really nice. the shin guard might be overkill if you don't ride alot of tech sections on your rides. I guess if you have more confidence and peace of mind with it then by all means get them so you can ride how you like!
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    Yeah, I saw generally good reviews on those,
    how well can you pedal and climb with them?

I would like to get them to compare to the POC, to be honest the fox looks like have a little better protection on the sides.
    I don't have a problem climbing with them, but I can't say whether you'd prefer them to the POCs, nor can I say that for myself, as I've never worn POCs. Just another option to drive you crazy. The POCs have the harden-on-impact compound, which is supposed to be quite the stuff. Expensive tho. I don't imagine you'll go really wrong either way.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the POC VPD Knee guards and really love them. I bought them just for the kind of riding that you described. AM with some sketchy stuff thrown in amongst the climbing and pedaling. I basically was tired of mangling my knees and these do just the trick.

They are very comfy and become even more comfy after about 3 minutes as the foam warms up and becomes more pliable. I don't even really notice they are on after a couple pedal strokes. Granted, it hasn't been very hot since i've had them, but I don't think that they'd be that bad. I put them in my pack for climbs longer than 25-30 minutes, but they aren't bad to climb in at all. I have yet to take a fall on them yet, but it is true, they do harden up nicely on impact.

Oh and make sure that you get the 2010 version because they have added side protection. See image:

I also tried on the 661 Kyle Strait and Fox Launch. The 661 feels great when standing with a straight leg or slightly bent, but bunches up a little bit when in a deep bend (i.e. top of pedal stroke). The Fox pads feel a bit awkward when standing with a straight leg and form nicely when knee is slightly or deeply bent. However, both these pads are very, very nice and I would have no problem wearing them. I did try on the POCs on a whim after trying the other two on and it was immediately apparent that I would be paying a bit more money for something that was very comfortable. The POCs just felt so much better and I knew that I would be more inclined to wear them if I felt comfortable in them.

That is my .02.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose
    I have the POC VPD Knee guards and really love them. I bought them just for the kind of riding that you described. AM with some sketchy stuff thrown in amongst the climbing and pedaling. I basically was tired of mangling my knees and these do just the trick.

They are very comfy and become even more comfy after about 3 minutes as the foam warms up and becomes more pliable. I don't even really notice they are on after a couple pedal strokes. Granted, it hasn't been very hot since i've had them, but I don't think that they'd be that bad. I put them in my pack for climbs longer than 25-30 minutes, but they aren't bad to climb in at all. I have yet to take a fall on them yet, but it is true, they do harden up nicely on impact.

Oh and make sure that you get the 2010 version because they have added side protection. See image:

I also tried on the 661 Kyle Strait and Fox Launch. The 661 feels great when standing with a straight leg or slightly bent, but bunches up a little bit when in a deep bend (i.e. top of pedal stroke). The Fox pads feel a bit awkward when standing with a straight leg and form nicely when knee is slightly or deeply bent. However, both these pads are very, very nice and I would have no problem wearing them. I did try on the POCs on a whim after trying the other two on and it was immediately apparent that I would be paying a bit more money for something that was very comfortable. The POCs just felt so much better and I knew that I would be more inclined to wear them if I felt comfortable in them.

That is my .02.
    Thanks for your mini review! I was able to find the POC knee for a little more than the fox. I hope it fits according to POC size guide I fit medium (17" thighs 14" calves), but there has been a couple reviews of large size not even being big enough...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    Thanks for your mini review! I was able to find the POC knee for a little more than the fox. I hope it fits according to POC size guide I fit medium (17" thighs 14" calves), but there has been a couple reviews of large size not even being big enough...
    I just got a pair of the POC knee pads. Got them from hucknroll: http://www.hucknroll.com/poc-joint-vpd-knee-protector. IMO, for XC stuff you won't need the full leg version, knee only will be fine.

I took them for the first ride earlier this week. They are very comfy, but I can see how they can be very warm during the summer months. They offer plenty of protection for the stuff I ride (typical NE rocks and roots galore).

I got a large, I have a 19" thigh and 16.5" calf, and it was a little more snug than I expected. However they are very, very comfortable. I definitly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13
    I just got a pair of the POC knee pads. Got them from hucknroll: http://www.hucknroll.com/poc-joint-vpd-knee-protector. IMO, for XC stuff you won't need the full leg version, knee only will be fine.

I took them for the first ride earlier this week. They are very comfy, but I can see how they can be very warm during the summer months. They offer plenty of protection for the stuff I ride (typical NE rocks and roots galore).

I got a large, I have a 19" thigh and 16.5" calf, and it was a little more snug than I expected. However they are very, very comfortable. I definitly recommend them.
    Any idea what kind of shin guard I would be able to get,
    After some thinking I think seperate knee and shin guards are a good idea.
    I will probably get something light duty like the veggie shin or like the lizard skin when things get steep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh, any of you POC users have the VPD joint elbow as well, I am sure it works as great as the knee one

but I'm considering other options since there are no good sale on them
    the bone version is actually cheaper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I don't really know you or what your riding style is, but for typical XC as I know it I wouldn't even consider shin guards, maybe not even knee pads. For trail riding and AM riding, knees but still probably no shins.

However, you may have had a previous injury which is more than enough reason to wear them. That is what prompted me to buy my kneepads. Or you may feel more comfortable riding in pads, which is also plenty of reason to wear them. Or you may be a leg model with perfect skin. Wait, are you a super model? If your name is Adriana Lima, PM me.

Seriously though, it is a good idea if you are going to buy separate shin guards to buy some with just straps like those lizard skins. That way you can just slap them on without having to take off your shoe. Otherwise, you'll either never wear them when you need them or always wear them when you don't.

I think i've contributed 4 cents now.