Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Please help me not feel guilty about this purchase

Around October of last year, I bought a nice new 2013 Trek Mamba. I love everything about the bike and didn't plan to ride anything else for many years to come. Then, just last month, I got orders to Japan for the next two years. Well, I'm here, and not only will I not have a car, but I also refuse to pay $5 every time I get into a cab to get somewhere on base (multiple times a day). In addition to that, I definitely didn't forget to bring my MTB passion with me. With that being said, I was thinking about having the Mamba shipped here, but the hassle of it and especially the wait was a turn off. I made the trip to go possibly buy a $450 Trek Wahoo that I saw last week, but that bike was gone and instead they had two pretty Cannondale Trail 5's for $675. At first I was like and then I was like and now I'm like:

Please make me feel good about this. I feel bad for my beloved and neglected Mamba and I can't believe I just spent the money on another new 29er (that is probably going to get rained on a lot). I heard Okinawa has some good mountain biking trails up north... so that's a plus, right?!
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    LOL trader! jk nice looking bike. I have a trail 1 I really enjoy that bike!

mtbr member
    That's easy for a spendy guy like me to justify.

Just sell it when its time to go home and you'll have only spent about what it cost to ship the Mamba, without the hassle and potential damage. Then you get to experience the new-ness and joy of the Mamba all over again!

Oh, and lets not forget that you're basically getting PAID $5 every time you ride that bike somewhere, so you can keep a mental tab of that...

Also, MTB in Japan sounds really awesome.
    Last edited by rigid9; 04-04-2014 at 06:04 AM. Reason: More justification

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Hittman2780 View Post
    LOL trader!

Name:  facepalm.gif
Views: 1442
Size:  898 Bytes
    No moss...

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler21 View Post
    ...At first I was like and then I was like and now I'm like:...

Yes, at $5 per ride it will be paid off in 3 months.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Marine?

I live stateside, Fort Carson, and put roughly 600 in parts laying about into a commuter build to get me to and from work on nice days. I already saved it in gas, and its more fun than driving. Win-win.

Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Feel guilty about that Big Mac you ate, or the luxury car or house you bought but shouldn't have. Maybe even feel guilty about that expensive night on the town. But never...repeat...never feel guilty about a bike.

Gimme free stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler21 View Post
    At first I was like and then I was like and now I'm like:

lmfao

N+1 NBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Don't ride that bike to town and get all lubed up on Mojo. Those cabbies will make a speed bump out of you.

Nice bike. Hell, we paid $600 for a car that had a toilet brush tied to the clutch cable. Cable was so short, you had to have someone sit in the back seat to work the clutch for you. OOH-RAH!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Never Ever EVER feel bad about a mtn bike purchase.

"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."
    -probably Jesus

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sorry, Tyler we can't help you.

You can, however, extinguish any guilt by doing this: Ride that bike until you break or wear out part. Smoke that chain first; burn up the tires and pads. Move on to warranty parts if you need to.

Seriously, the only way guilt can or should linger is if you are not riding it. Or, if you've broken monogamy with your main ride.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Some good motivation in this thread, thanks guys!
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    That thing pays for itself! After 135 quick cab rides you'd be left with nothing. Besides you only live once, so just enjoy it. Being stuck in a duty station with nothing to do stinks. Semper Fi.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Ride Brother RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks For Your Service!!

Don't forget to RIDE!!!!!!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    $25 a day for a cab x 2 years = $18,000
    $675 for a sweet new 29er = $675
    Ridin trails in FRICKIN JAPAN= PRICELESS!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ltspd1 View Post
    Feel guilty about that Big Mac you ate, or the luxury car or house you bought but shouldn't have. Maybe even feel guilty about that expensive night on the town. But never...repeat...never feel guilty about a bike.
    This just made me feel better. It really is true. Riding a bike consistently is a win-win in so many ways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just think how you would feel if you were there and did not get to go mountain biking!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Total absolution!

As queen of my universe and a legend in my own mind, I hereby grant you total, instant, complete absolution from guilt for any bike or bike related purchases (including, but not limited to: bikes, upgrades, maintenance, bike bling, bike-related gear and clothing) from now going forward throughout all time, and for any wife to be and all of your offspring and their off spring, cause you're going to love your wife, kids and grandkids and want to buy them bikes.
    Done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I don't see anything to feel guilty about here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    As queen of my universe and a legend in my own mind, I hereby grant you total, instant, complete absolution from guilt for any bike or bike related purchases (including, but not limited to: bikes, upgrades, maintenance, bike bling, bike-related gear and clothing) from now going forward throughout all time, and for any wife to be and all of your offspring and their off spring, cause you're going to love your wife, kids and grandkids and want to buy them bikes.
    Done.

So many great responses on this thread and I hope you're feeling totally absolved from any guilt about your purchase from Her Majesty Queen June Bug!

Now go ride that bike. Nothing like the freedom a bike gives you..... even if it's just commuting.

mtbr member
    Tyler, all humans has only one obligation and target of their life - to be happy. So, enjoy your live, youth and passion. You will have awesome memories at senility. How do you think, will you still regret those 600 dollars when you will be old??? Live as you do not regret anything on your deathbed.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    First, thanks for your service.
    Second, remember that joke about how a six-pack of beer is better than a woman because it doesn't care if you get a beer somewhere else? Bikes are the same way. PCS or TDY, being without your bike sucks (car or not) so don't be without your bike. If that means you buy two then you buy two. When you leave, you can find someone to give a good deal to on this bike then your purchase will make two bikers happy.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Rogue Exterminator
    Bikes are like Mormon wives.

It is ok to have many of them.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    In Okinawa I paid $500 for my Toyota Town Ace , and $30 a month for insurance. Something like that will get you to the riding and Scuba spots better than a bike.

mtbr member
    Hey man don't feel bad. You gotta do what you gotta do. I'll take care of your Mamba and always be there for her.

-Jody

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast