Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Places with Passion: Year Round Riding on Budget

Girlfriend/future fiance wants to live it up for a few years before settling down near parents back home (Pittsburgh). Her only request: someplace warm. My only request: riding out my back door. Together we'll need someplace cheap and with plentiful jobs in any field.

So I'm looking for someplace with passion for riding all year long. Riding does not include snowboards or skis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Socal? Utah?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Asheville NC

Though you will need a jacket and tights or pants for the winter months. But it's generally warm enough for shorts 9-10 months of the year.

I like bikes
    Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Southern Utah. I ride all year.

Photobucket

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Utah is high up on the list.

My biggest problem is cost of living and employment opportunities. My girlfriend and I both have "big city" job experience, but I would work anything to pay live someplace like Southern Utah. I don't think I could afford living in SoCal, and especially couldn't afford plane tickets back home to the east coast.

Asheville and Chatty are high on this list as well, mostly because I can drive home for the holidays.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does your girlfriend ride or is she outdoorsy? I would start looking at university towns if it were me. Realistically, that would probably be your best bet for maxmizing affordable living, employment, cultural things to do, outdoors stuff, etc.

Over the Hill
    Normally the nice places to live with good jobs and riding out of the back door are also the places that are more expensive to live in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ashville, NC (which someone mentioned) is a really nice area. It's a very young town that has some great riding opportunities.

mtbr member
    Phoenix Az

By getting up early I rode all summer long. Now we are into the good season.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Florida - no mountains but plenty of challenging trails. Ride trails in the AM and have beer on the beach in the PM

More than one, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by tflounder View Post
    Florida - no mountains but plenty of challenging trails. Ride trails in the AM and have beer on the beach in the PM
    I've ridden in Florida (Alifia, Santos etc) and it was much better than I expected but if you could live anywhere to ride year round, you would choose FL? Seriously?
    Last edited by far raider; 11-19-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by far raider View Post
    I've ridden in Florida (Alifia, Santos etc) and it was much better than I expected but if you could live anywhere to ride year round, you would choose FL? Seriously?
    lol, I suppose you might if you never left Florida.

Lived all over the country and from your other posts in the North and South Carolina Forum, I think Asheville would be a good fit for you. I am not going to tell you that sometimes it doesn't get down right cold here because it does. However, generally there are enough breaks in the winter that you don't go insane. Last winter, I never even wore a jacket except for a few mornings. Of course a couple winters before we got more snow then my parents did in Wisconsin.

Also, keep in mind that although some of the places listed may never get cold but the trade off is 100-120 degree summers. Extreme heat will kill a ride just as fast.
    I have never seen triple digit temperatures here.

I build my own.
    I'd suggest the PNW. If we can ride all year in BC, they certainly can just south of us. Not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter. And no, it doesn't rain all the time. I know there are some great trails in Washington & Oregon.
    I have no idea what the employment situation is like.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    I know maybe it's not "cheap" to live here but Hawaii's got all kinds of great riding year round and if you live in the right place, riding's right out your doorstep. If this piques your interest, you can PM for information or chime in on the Hawaii board.

mtbr member
    Have you looked at Knoxville? South Knox is a cheap place to live and it has a killer trail system to ride. AMBC Trails | Appalachian Mountain Bike Club Jobs are pretty easy to come by plus there are green ways everywhere now to ride from one side of town to the other.

There is Downhill riding in the area if you into that. Just you tube wind rock downhill and you will get plenty of hits. Check out Profro's videos, they are pretty good. He has also help develop the trails as well.

Here is a link with all the trails around the area, East Tennessee mountain bike rides
    Some of the maps are old, but you get the picture. Chattanooga is a couple hrs away, and so is Asheville.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'll throw Colorado into the mix... either the Front Range (Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs) or the Western Slope (Fruita, Grand Junction). In a "normal" winter, we have a few weeks where there's too much snow on the trails- but if that's the case, just head up into the mountains and ski. This past winter was pretty dismal for snow and I've been riding all year long. Most of the time, in shorts.

I think if you're willing to deal with some cold weather when you ride, you can mountain bike year round in a lot of locations. It's just a matter of what kind of riding do you want? I live in Boulder but if I were looking for a year-round location just for biking, I'd go to St. George, UT.

Happy Trails
    Phoenix. Jobs and affordable housing. ASU. Road and trail rides/races nearly every weekend for half of the year. Lots of riders out at 4:45 am in the Summer, or up the road to Sedona, Flag, Payson, Prescott, etc. , but yep, it's hot. Then the riding is perfectamundo for another 8 months.

And lots of unbelievably good riding out my front door in the McDowell Mountain parks, or any of the other dozen or so ridin areas nearby.

Talk to me, Goose.
    Anywhere on the east coast within reach of the Appalachian chain.. Good riding year round and tolerable through the winter months. Plenty of job opportunities and decent cost of living in the southeast.
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

I hate sugar sand.
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tflounder View Post
    I believe this dude said he would like a job, of which there are ZERO in Florida.

Florida is great for fishing, boating, kayaking, being old, and sweating...being devoid of mountains makes it a pretty poor choice for mountain biking though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you are from the East Coast and plan to go back there to settle down, then go West and have a totally different experience. You'll be able to ride rocky, tight, east coast trails for the rest of your life. Go to UT/CO/AZ/OR/WA or just suck it up and pay the CA premium for a few years. It's a whole different experience riding out West and you'll look back with fond memories for the rest of your life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    And lots of unbelievably good riding out my front door in the McDowell Mountain parks, or any of the other dozen or so riding areas nearby.
    Out the door if my house I have connector trail about a 5 min spin away. From here I hit the dirt an can go east and have single track for a good 20 miles on way with 2500+ feet of elevation gain. I could easily do 35 miles on these trails and not ride them all. If I take the connector west I have 2 miles before I get to the Black Canyon Trail. This is a 69 mile long epic that climbs from 1600 feet to 4000feet. Now mostly I end up driving to the trail heads for these trails as the connector is ok, but mostly flat boring 6 miles each way and I would rather use up those 6 miles on better sections of trail. Hey I can be picky. Then there is another new trail system another 6-7 miles away to the south. This one does not have nice dirt connector trail to it. I could ride the roads again, but with 25-35 miles of trails there... Far better to just drive there and save my energy for the good stuff.

And I have not even mention the McDowells which is a 35 min drive from house or all the good stuff at south mountain like National.

As for the summer temps. It is hot in the middle of the day, but I you hit the trails at the crack of dawn you can still see 60-and 70 as late as July. My hottest ride this year was in the McDowells in August. I started the ride at 85F and finish at 95F at 8:30am. Hot, but it got to 115F that day I spent the rest of the day in the pool.

Oh and if you want cooler riding flagstaff is 2-3 hr drive and is the 70-80's all summer long.

BTW... this photo was taken from a trail system right in the middle of the city.

The trails in this are are good for 5 miles of great riding or 30 miles if you want (little to no re-ridig of any section). Just depends on how many loops and which ones you pick.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I would rule out the PacNW, Seattle area at least. Not the most budget-friendly place to live, and it's certainly not an area I would consider living if warmth was a factor.

Granted, the summers here are beautiful, but they're relatively short. July-September is normally pretty dry and warm, but as soon as October and November hit, it's 50, gray and rainy until mid-May.

Throw in a few weeks-worth of 30 and 40 degree weather, and 60-80% of the trails being mostly, if not completely, unrideable due to snow or mud... Would probably make for a pretty miserable girlfriend, methinks...

On the other hand, it is a beautiful place to live, and the economy around here wasn't hit nearly as bad as other regions, and it's on its way back a lot quicker too, I think. Budget concerns go out the window if you land a decent gig... Lots of tech opportunity, as well as health and environment related work. Construction seems to always be in demand as well.

Any thoughts toward Texas... Austin, maybe?
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoinkMobb View Post
    I believe this dude said he would like a job, of which there are ZERO in Florida.

Florida is great for fishing, boating, kayaking, being old, and sweating...being devoid of mountains makes it a pretty poor choice for mountain biking though.
    Zero jobs? How can you say this when you have no idea which field he and his significant other are in? Last time I checked there are plenty of jobs in various fields.

Poor choice for mountain biking? Seriously? We don't have mountains but there are TONS of trails here with plenty of whatever sort of riding you are into (aside from DH).
    Signature

More than one, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Poor choice for mountain biking? Seriously? We don't have mountains....
    I am not trying to turn this into a pissing match of any kind but it is called mountain biking, not hot, flat, sandy biking. It's mountain biking. Why the hell would anyone MOVE to Florida who stated that they are seeking the best year-round mountain biking in the country?

This obstinance is not really helping me to change the opinion I formed of Florida while I was there.
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast