Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Happy Trails
    <
    Florida has a lot going for it, but not trail biking. Florida may not be the worst mountain biking in the USA but it's the worst of anywhere I've lived.

It's probably better than ....

......hmmmmmm

.... Well at least it is year round riding so it must be better than somewhere. Maybe Kansas. (Not trying to offend the Kansas crew. Kansas might be better).

I hate sugar sand.
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Zero jobs? How can you say this when you have no idea which field he and his significant other are in? Last time I checked there are plenty of jobs in various fields.

Poor choice for mountain biking? Seriously? We don't have mountains but there are TONS of trails here with plenty of whatever sort of riding you are into (aside from DH).
    The economy, as a whole, is pretty bad in Florida. I wouldn't recommend that anybody comes here looking for work. People from up north are in for a shock when they realize they'll take a 30-50% paycut for the doing the same job. I know the cost of living is lower here, but still, that pay decrease can make it seem like you're taking a step back in your career.

There's several trails around the Tampa area, the closest one to me is a 30 min drive away and it seems like all of them are inside state parks. I wish I could ride 10 minutes from my house and hit the local trails whenever I wanted, and not have to worry about paying parking fees or making sure I finish my ride before closing time. I imagine people out west are able to do this kind of thing.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by seancs14 View Post
    If you are from the East Coast and plan to go back there to settle down, then go West and have a totally different experience. You'll be able to ride rocky, tight, east coast trails for the rest of your life. Go to UT/CO/AZ/OR/WA or just suck it up and pay the CA premium for a few years. It's a whole different experience riding out West and you'll look back with fond memories for the rest of your life.
    This.

I grew up in Pittsburgh. I had a lot of fun riding the trails in South Park and basically developed my passion for riding there. My family is all on the east coast, and there's a good chance that's where I'd want to be if I were starting a family. With that in mind, my girlfriend and I just moved to Reno.

If you and the lady are up for some adventure, a new pace of life, a massive change of scenery, and an opportunity to grow as people - move out west. You'll be more inclined to explore totally different landscapes and cultures, and will likely get some stories for the kids out of it.

If you do move to an area with access to big, western mountains, you're riding will improve quickly. You'll become much, much better at extended climbing. You'll learn how to really rip a downhill. You'll learn how to handle loose conditions. And you'll still be able to head back to Pittsburgh.

P.S. Go Steelers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by far raider View Post
    I've ridden in Florida (Alifia, Santos etc) and it was much better than I expected but if you could live anywhere to ride year round, you would choose FL? Seriously?
    I rode Santos trail while on vacation down there this past summer. Nice network of trails. I even managed to get seriously lost for a couple of hours.
    Nobody told me about how the banana spiders build webs between the trees to catch unsuspecting MTB'ers though!
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Austin, TX. Not only year around riding, but year around everything. Plus awesome nightlife and social scene. Real Estate is relatively cheap and job market is strong. If you dont mind 100+ degree summers

mtbr member
    Front Range, CO......way more mild here than people realize. Still riding everything at the lower elevations here with temps in the 60's....even some of the stuff up high east of the divide is still good to go.

I ride year round here.....typically only one or two months a year are actually cold and snowy. 200 days on the bike this year and counting......

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'll second the vote for Tucson, AZ. All the good things people have said about Phoenix, and cooler enough to make a difference. It may only be 5 degrees cooler for daytime highs, but it's typically about 10 degrees cooler when you're starting your summer morning rides. I usually see about 75 degrees when starting my rides in the summer. Sometimes it gets downright chilly and I have to zip up my jersey because it's only 71 degrees or so... Plus, we have Mt. Lemmon - about 6000ft of elevation gain over about 21 miles. It's hard to overstate how sweet this is for training if you're racing. There's a reason so many pro teams train in Tucson in the winter. Housing is reasonable also. I would think jobs are picking up, depends on your field... We definitely have the "warm" part covered for your GF though.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Sled of Lead.
    My list of cheap(er?), year round riding, warm places, with city type jobs nearby.
    - Phoenix
    - Las Vegas
    - suburbs east of Sacramento, CA

toscano
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody View Post
    Girlfriend/future fiance wants to live it up for a few years before settling down near parents back home (Pittsburgh). Her only request: someplace warm. My only request: riding out my back door. Together we'll need someplace cheap and with plentiful jobs in any field.

So I'm looking for someplace with passion for riding all year long. Riding does not include snowboards or skis.
    And what about mediterranean europe?
    If you are interested in a long stay in Europe as native speakers of English it will be not impossible for you to get a job. Some places are cheap, some are not, but it could be a great experience.
    Warm places where you ride out your back door are so many: from Spain to France, Italy, Croazia and Greece.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by far raider View Post
    This obstinance is not really helping me to change the opinion I formed of Florida while I was there.
    Signature

Cow Clicker
    Nashville. Economy is nuts and climate is good.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Live Dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by luthermc315 View Post
    Austin, TX. Not only year around riding, but year around everything. Plus awesome nightlife and social scene. Real Estate is relatively cheap and job market is strong. If you dont mind 100+ degree summers
    Yes, Austin would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'll throw Colorado into the mix... either the Front Range (Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs) or the Western Slope (Fruita, Grand Junction). In a "normal" winter, we have a few weeks where there's too much snow on the trails- but if that's the case, just head up into the mountains and ski. This past winter was pretty dismal for snow and I've been riding all year long. Most of the time, in shorts.

I think if you're willing to deal with some cold weather when you ride, you can mountain bike year round in a lot of locations. It's just a matter of what kind of riding do you want? I live in Boulder but if I were looking for a year-round location just for biking, I'd go to St. George, UT.
    I'll second this. If your emphasis is on low cost, the Colorado Springs fits that bill very well. If you check cost of living comparisons, you'll find COS is below the national average. There are jobs here, but I don't know what field or experience level you're looking for, so.... Plenty of riding all over town with some epic rides in the high country not far away (from about June through September, maybe October, depending on the snow; I rode Monarch Crest in late September this year).

Plus you're about 5 hours from Fruita and just under 7 to Moab; easy weekend adventures.

Yes, you get a bit of cold in December and January. In my 5 years here, the snow has been negligible, with storms dropping a few inches, maybe up to 6 or 7, but then it warms to the 50s and it all melts. It's dry enough that the trails dry out in short order and are ready to ride again quickly.

I'd throw in the PNW, too, but the cost of living there is much higher, though jobs may be more plentiful, too.

Good luck!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I vote Phoenix (never stopped in Tuscon, but imagine it's equally viable). I lived in the Denver area for a long time and I thought that although it has a long season, it's hit or miss in the fall and spring, and the foothills can get some snow in three months of winter. Phoenix has plenty of trails in the metro area and practically any direction outside. I live in New Mexico now, and I think the Las Cruces/Alamogordo area would be reasonable weather and trails nearby - not quite up there with Phoenix, in my limited experience. Southeastern New Mexico, where I am, is fine for weather, but sucks for trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tex540 View Post
    Yes, Austin would be a good choice.
    No, not Austin. No mountain biking here. You're on the right track with Phx or Tucson.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    All of Arizona and Southern Utah are awesome. But Phx. gets you the local awesome trails plus really easy weekend trips up into higher elevation mountains with trees. Sedona, Flagstaff, Mogollon Rim territory, Tucson, Payson, Prescott and on and on. If you need a cheap place to live, a job and the best mountain biking in the bargain I think it's no contest. (Unless you really, really don't like desert riding, because that will be your everyday reality)
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2