hooked on quack

Pisgah a week later after 70* temps(sorta OT pics)

Some pics for you guys with freshly snapped collarbones. You know who you are.

See why its so hard to say how its gonna be up there until the week of....

My yard Friday in N Ga...nice'n warm.

The Blue Ridge Parkway(closed, but we knew it after calling the hotline from home) a few hours later, at the hwy 215 crossing from Waynesville and Rosman. Heading in at dusk Friday evening...hiking some down the parkway to get to backcountry.

About 4 miles later at around 9:30 Friday night along the Mtn to Sea Trail/Art Loeb overlap about 900' vertical above the BRParkway. My bud Barn.

Camp on Silver Mine Bald(5995') in Shining Rock wilderness the next morning. Heaven.

Closed Parkway. Does that bigass rock in the center look familiar? For bonus points...the 2 high bumps to the far middle left?

Duck

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Man, look at the snow coming down! Looks like it was a wee bit windy, too.

How cold was it Saturday morning?

hooked on quack
    Hey dude. Yup, 20-50 mph weeks all weekend. 20*ish and 26*-ish was the temps, with it getting to the low 40s during the day.

I hear "Someone" did 30+ miles at Blankets Sat? Hmmmmm?

Man I'm abit sore after doing 18ish miles in the snow and ice. Must be that hiker muscle group protesting, eh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, "someone" did do 30 plus miles on Saturday, but it was at Dauset, not Blankets. The weather was perfect.

hooked on quack
    A few more pics...

Ivester Gap Trail. Old railroad bed thats bike legal. Obviously, abit rocky for sure. This is in the Shining Rock Wilderness area. Mtngoatepics runs rides thru here.

Everything thats wet looking is ice. More of Ivester.

Pilot Mtn, CedarRock to the left, and Looking Glass is outa site to the left. Lunch Sun as we hiked out on the MST trail way above the Parkway. Brevard is just beyond all this.

A copper salt mine from the early 1900s thats a mofo to get too. About .3 mile off trail. We climbed into it and pumped water. This thing scares me to death tho. Its got several small cave-ins in there. Goes 35yrs or so, with rails and crossties still intact. Yes indeedy.

A temp sign nearby stated a dropzone 6 for a SARs exercise was going on, but per these SARs dudes we came across...it was canceled cause of the heavy winds going on, and plus the snow. They asked us if we needed any "help" and such, as they were looking for 2 over due fisherman(?) Up here? Oh well. As we climbed Black Balsam(note above treeline at 6214'), they await us. Note SARs dog.

Look..a dreaded hiker. Duck.

Road Kill Grill...aka Bobs Place. Anyone heading up hwy 11 then left(north)on hwy 178 toward Rosman goes by this place. Bet it..um..rocks. LOL!!

This is there also. Bet if ya stop there in spandex you'll not get out alive.

Ok, thats it.

Duckout

Last edited by Duckman; 04-05-2004 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Road Kill Grill...aka Bobs Place. Anyone heading up hwy 11 then left(north)on hwy 178 toward Rosman goes by this place. Bet it..um..rocks. LOL!!
    It is also known as Scatterbrains. Evidently someone got their head blown off there a number of years ago.

Did you notice a pull off on left (if going south on 178 before you reach Bob's)? That is the start of the Palmetto Trail. Really nice, you need to do it some time.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Saturday was the day to ride. I did yardwork then and rode Sunday. Bear Creek - Mountaintown Creek combined which was a little nippy at the top (no snow though)! Anyone know how long that is, my new cyclecomputer will probably show in the mail today.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The wind was definetely harsh this weekend.

I was on the roadie all weekend. 4 Gap on Saturday (R-Ranch to Woody, back down and then Neals, Wolfpen, and Woody). About 50 miles and 6000 ft of climbing. It is real demorilizing to be climbing a 7%+ grade already in your 'smallest' gear (39x25) and then get bombarded with a 10-15mph Headwind UGH.

Then the Comet on Sunday, real windy and real sore to so only did 30 miles. Guy I started with did Smyrna to Rockmart and back TWICE

Ryan
    Last edited by TTU-XC; 04-05-2004 at 10:13 AM.

hooked on quack
    Figures regarding that name. Redneck as heck for sure.

No, I had no ideal about that trail. Hiker or biker trail?

Thanks, duck

mtbr member
    Good Question. It was originally announced as opened for hikers and bikers when they first finished it maybe 2 years ago. Then, about 1 year ago, they put up "trail temporarily closed" signs. The trail builders my husband ran into said that was some enviro-crap because they had not built bridges yet over a couple of stream crossings. Months later, the ranger my husband ran into said there were not supposed to bikes at all. Within the last few weeks, huge NO BIKES signs have gone up. The last time I looked at the Palmetto Trails website, it still said bikes were welcome. Who the hell knows, we're riding it anyway.

Goat of Legend
    [QUOTE=Duckman]A few more pics...

Ivester Gap Trail. Old railroad bed thats bike legal. Obviously, abit rocky for sure. This is in the Shining Rock Wilderness area. Mtngoatepics runs rides thru here.

The goat says
    Ivester Gap and Flat Laurel Creek are both really fun rocky trails. I usually get water from a spring on Ivester Gap during my long one that goes in this area. I don't even filter the water and have never gotten sick as this trail sits close to 6,000 ft and doesn't have any mountain above it. I don't reccomend this in any other area of Pisgah though.

I can't wait to ride these trails on my new 5" duelie I'm gettin next week. The Hardtail is dead, mine anyway!

hooked on quack
    Yes, theres 2 nice springs on that trail, both piped(the one closest to the Gap itself is sorta cascading now). I always carry and use a filter when packing(and some epics)but I also have pulled water from them straight from the pipe(this trip included), going on 7-8 years now with no probs. Flat Laurel comes in from hwy 215 over that paved and very old railroad bridge. Neat area to ice climb in the winter. Way too many dayhiker idiots there in the summer for my taste. Winter we can own the place.