mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Pick-up Truck Topper/Cap Solutions

I can't find this specific question addressed in any of the similar threads.

Shamelessly looking for free advice. Goal - new cap/topper for F-350 Super Duty long bed that will accommodate four bikes (two road, two mountain) upright, preferably w/o removing front wheel(s) and with minimal wranglin', bulldoggin', wrasslin' and foul language. Really hoping ARE MX with walk-in door will work; also thinking about Leer 122 if the ARE w/ walk-in won't. Any experience-based advice and tips appreciated.

I have had a cab-height ARE for 10 years and I am happy with it. I know not to buy cheap, go for quality, all that motherhood. I'm looking for specifics about the overhead clearance, door clearances, etc. and putting bikes in & out, transporting them upright, etc.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Not trying to be a picky sob but try posting here for a larger, specific crowd Car & Biker

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks - the search function didn't provide that category nor any of those threads so I posted where the responses were. I'll look through there and if I can't find the answer then I'll post it there too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a lear with the normal lift up door/tailgate ,if aI had it to do over again I'd get the ARC with the full walkin door.A friend has one seems to work well for bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thank you rangeriderdav. With 20/20 hindsight I'd have gotten the walk-in door instead of the Z series I have - I even called the dealer a few years ago to see if I could retro one - no such luck. I may trade off the desire to leave the front wheel on for the walk-in convenience. I suspect that the vast majority, 70% or so, of the time we'll only be transporting two mountain bikes, the 15 road only, the remainder all four on longer trips.

mtbr member
    Why not a hitch mounted tray rack. They'll hold 4 bikes easily on a 2" receiver (and if you have an F350, you better have one!!). Bikes go on one handed, upright with wheels in place. Will fit bikes with wheel sizes from 20" to 29" and, with a bit of fuss, fatties, too.

Plus, that way, you get your full bed available for gear, too!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thank you, skiahh, that's a good option (until recently I owned a shop and was a Thule dealer). I prefer to have our bikes enclosed, especially now that we've bought a small travel trailer and will be doing some long road trips. We have a hitch mount for local trips.

mtbr member
    I have a Silverado with a Leer cap with a traditional glass door/tailgate. I use a couple of sections of plywood with fork mounts on them. It's easy to move the mounts around when you need to accomodate different styles of bikes. For two or three bikes, you can place the mounts near the back of the bed and roll the bikes in backwards. I never have to get into the bed unless packing gear bags in the forward part of the bed. But I do remove the front wheels, which takes all of 10 seconds.

You can easily mount two road bike mounts across the forward end of the bed and have room for the others parallel to the bed.

I've carried 7 road bikes (including a tandem with the tailgate down) by moving the fork mounts wherever needed with a cordless screw gun.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks dirtyjack. That's kind of what I have arrived at after a phone call with the ARE dealer. He said the walk-through door lift gates don't do well under off-road conditions. The twisting and flexing of the frame, bed and cap can cause them to break. Short answer - ain't gonna happen and that was sort of the whole point. Given that, we'll stick with the cab-height Z Series cap we have and do a set-up similar to yours. That will save a lot of bucks that I can use on a chip, leveling and lift kit, fender flairs, new iPod-ready satellite stereo with GPS, yadda yadda yadda. Thank you again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My father has a contractor grad topper and mine (29r) won't roll in there w/front wheel. mind and our he has two in sheets mounted to the bed. I thing my road bike did but I agree on the truck goodies. Though I'd buy a tuner not a chip.