mtbr member

Photo TR: Land of Enchantment in Angel Fire, NM

Last week, I went down to Angel Fire for a few days with a couple of my trip leaders to scope the place out as a potential destination for future trips for my adventure travel company, Chasing Epic. I had been invited by the "higher ups" at the resort, since they're focusing on developing their XC trail systems and want to attract a different kind of rider than they do currently. Because of that, we were shown around by their bike park director, a kick-ass rider and super cool guy named Hogan.

Angel Fire has an incredible bike park, which is obviously an attraction already... but their XC trails are fairly underrated and very off-the-radar for being so close to Denver and ABQ. We ended up riding the South Boundary Trail from AF to Taos, a couple local "valley" trails, and then I went out with Hogan on our last day and rode some of the Elliott Barker trails that were used for the Scott Enduro. I'll put the South Boundary Trail right up there with any high-country trail in Colorado... it's absolutely incredible.

On to the pictures- taken both in the bike park and on our trail rides.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Looks great!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great Pics! Thanks

random ride instigator
    Looks amazing!....how much current XCish(no full face helmet required) single track mileage without riding same trails (not counting out and backs etc)? Thanks for post..looks different than I imagined (thought more desert like).

mtbr member
    I'm not sure in total.... but I would say within a short drive of Angel Fire, there's probably close to 100 miles. The two main rides are the South Boundary Trail and Lost Lake Loop, but there's a ton of fun stuff off Elliott Barker and down in the valley too.

My understanding is that the resort is investing some decent money in improving the existing "trails" to make more loop options right from town too.

random ride instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm not sure in total.... but I would say within a short drive of Angel Fire, there's probably close to 100 miles. The two main rides are the South Boundary Trail and Lost Lake Loop, but there's a ton of fun stuff off Elliott Barker and down in the valley too.

My understanding is that the resort is investing some decent money in improving the existing "trails" to make more loop options right from town too.
    Thanks for reply! Always looking for road trip options, sounds like it's worth a long weekend trip!

Perpetually Intermediate
    Welcome to New Mexico! The Taos area has a couple hundred miles of single track gems, and thousands of miles of two track and old jeep road for exploring and bike packing, ranging from the sagebrush and black canyons at 7,000 feet up to tundra. Most rides, even the rides right on the edge of town are usually devoid of people, and the on majority of my rides I see no other bikes and few, if any, hikers. Next time you're in town hit up any of the three bike shops (Taos Cyclery, Taos Velo, or Gearing Up) for the trail lowdown and maps, or PM me here. South Boundary Trail our signature ride, and is 20+ miles of mostly single track, mostly downhill from spruce forest all the way down to the sagebrush valley (and beer and burritos) of Taos.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I've been in Albuquerque for 3 months and still need to make it up there. Can anyone recommend me some dog-friendly accommodations in the Taos/Angel Fire area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I really enjoy XC riding at Angel Fire. Riding the Enlightenment Trail up is awesome (a tough one-way only long climb). I would then pick a different green/blue route down (Sierra, Combi, Lower Boogie, etc.). One year I did the long travel bike one day with the lift and then rode the hard-tail XC bike the next pedaling my way to the top. Fantastic time in a beautiful area!

9 lives
    Nice pics! I would love to ride there!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies