More Chasmism

Phoenix Suggestions

Howdy,

I'll be down in Phoenix from Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning next weekend (the 15th through the 18th). My wife is attending a writers' conference. We are planning to stay at McDowell Mt. Park since her conference is in Scottsdale. I know there is supposed to be some good riding there as well as at South Mountain. What is the best two days of riding I could spend on my hardtail? McDowell & South? I'm willing to travel out of town if need be for something really good. No Sedona suggestions please. Note also that I am only interested in hardtail rides. I won't have my Bullit with me.

Thanks.

hfly

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Howdy,

I'll be down in Phoenix from Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning next weekend (the 15th through the 18th). My wife is attending a writers' conference. We are planning to stay at McDowell Mt. Park since her conference is in Scottsdale. I know there is supposed to be some good riding there as well as at South Mountain. What is the best two days of riding I could spend on my hardtail? McDowell & South? I'm willing to travel out of town if need be for something really good. No Sedona suggestions please. Note also that I am only interested in hardtail rides. I won't have my Bullit with me.

Thanks.

hfly
    it is all HARDTAIL'able! Hit South, Up National to the parking lot then turn around and come back down the same trail. Going up National instead of Mormon is a bit more technically challenging. If you clear everything without stopping you are TOTALLY SWEET! If you stop only at the WATERFALL you are still TOTALLY SWEET.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

clarkgriswald

Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Howdy,

Thanks.

hfly
    Pima and Dynamite, but go early or do a nigh t ride (it's getting hot in Phoenix) and try to hook up with a local. No signage on those trails what-so-ever. But lots of rolling singletrack and some large rock formations to play on.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    At south mountain, if you want the best it can offer, do the "coast to cost" national route, meaning when you get up to the parking lot (doesn't take too long) keep going on National. If you want to make it a little shorter you could go down Geronimo and ride up 24th street. I don't have great instructions for south mountain, but there is a good deal of good riding there...especially if you ride sometime other than the weekends.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Hhhmm, if I only had two days to ride Phx, I don't think P and D would be one of them. S. Mt most definite (Mormon and National are what you need to do). McDowell does have some fun stuff, and semi-tecnical (if you have the entire day, you could actually do McDowell and P and D).

But I'm still a big fan of Trail 100, as there are miles and miles of fun trails (stuff you're likely to find in Moab). From Fountain Hills (which is where you will be), get yourself over to Shea to Tatum south (there is a small 4 car lot) of 40th Street South of Shea for trail access. From there, just start riding, and any almost any trail will offer something fun (hint: always take the high road, as you'll eventually come down).

If you do hit P and D, everybody says you'll easily get lost. Not entirely true. The one thing to keep in mind is that there are two powelines out there, one running E-W, the other N-S. As long as you can get back to the powerlines, you'll be fine. Hint: it's a popular motocross area, so get off the fire road, and onto the singletrack.

As far as weather, it's been in the 70s/80s this week, and supposed to be the same, so no, it's not likely it will be Phx hot next weekend. But you're in Moab, so heat ain't no big deal. Of course, the weather in Phx is about as predicitable as the stock market.

BTW, I'm curious, what kind of writers' conference?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkgriswald
    Pima and Dynamite, but go early or do a nigh t ride (it's getting hot in Phoenix) and try to hook up with a local. No signage on those trails what-so-ever. But lots of rolling singletrack and some large rock formations to play on.
    Another perspective:

Avoid Pima/Dynamite like the plague.

There is MUCH better riding on South Mountain.

(never going back there, never ever ever ever)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

clarkgriswald

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Another perspective:

Avoid Pima/Dynamite like the plague.

There is MUCH better riding on South Mountain.

(never going back there, never ever ever ever)
    No doubt SoMo is worlds better than Pima/Dynamite. SoMo is doable on a hardtail, but it may not be much fun on a hardtail, depends on the rider. Kinda thought the no Bullit meant he didn't want to do National/Holbert type trails. No doubt he's seen pictures and vids of SoMo. Desert Classic on weekends should be avoided at all costs. T100 is ok.

Skinny legged XC geek

hfly, you are in luck!

That weekend happens to be the Globe Blowout! Various Passionites and other locals from both Phoenix and Tucson will be rendezvousing at the top of Pinal Peak beginning Friday night and through Sunday. It is about 2 hrs from Phoenix. Some will cmap one or both nights, but others will make just the day trip on Saturday. So that you can keep up with your social obligations, how about driving up with one of the day trippers on Saturday? The meet time is 9am at the shuttle launch site just south of Globe. You will be able to get two good runs in and get home in time for dinner with your family.

Pinal Peak offers 6 routes down, losing about 3,500 ft of vertical over 13-15 miles per run. Each lap gives you some fun ponderosa pine forest singletrack with tight switchbacks, loose, leaf covered trails, rock gardens, creek crossings, bench cut trails with exposure, some sections of fast but scary loose jeep trail, and the infamous check dram trail with rocky, low head dams to drop off as you zoom along. The temps are about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix at the bottom, and much cooler up top - we might even see some patches of snow.

I can make sure you get a ride if you want to go. Besides, South Mountain is too crowded on Saturday anyway, and chances are pretty low of hooking up for a fun group ride at Pinal Peak on other trips down here.

As for choice of bike, I've seen everything on Pinal Peak from the DH'rs on down to racer bikes and hardtails. Not to worry.

If you don't still have my addy, its scott ~at~ pvhacienda ~dot~ nospam com.

Saucy Size Moderator

Gloooooooobe!

You've stumbled into the state on the same weekend as one of my two weekend events at Globe. Bring the hardtail and tear stuff up. We have full-time drivers for shuttles, the weather should be perfect, and there's a zillion ways down the mountain (with or without the big bike).

E me if you want more details. Paul at mountainbikearizona dot com.

Bring a camera! :-D

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    yeah, but he doesn't know the secret handshake!
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member

Globe for sure!

Take advantage of such serendipity! Globe is such a cool part of the state -- it's a very good taste of an Arizona "sky island" (yea, I know y'all got them too).

I take out-of-staters up there, just for the drive itself. You start by skirting the Superstitions -- wonderful desert mountain range. Then you climb up and follow Devils Canyon (Queen Creek). Fantastic ryolite cliffs in a narrow canyon -- it's where a friend of mine coined the phrase: "We live in a postcard". (The Phoenix Bouldering Contest (or Boulder Blast or whatever) will be held there 1 week after the Globe Blowout - it is the world's largest on-the-rock climbing competition.) Then the not-so-nice-but-it's-a-part-of-the-state's-economy open pit mines and tailings. And then the nice cool freshness of the pines on Pinal mountain -- complete with some amazing views from the top. Wow, and then you get some of the most isolated and fun riding in the state! Can't be beat.

Bring your wife along. I won't be riding the big rides on this trip (recovering from surgery), and would love to find folks to hike with and all. Tonto National Monument is nearby, and I had thought about getting on the ranger-led tour to the upper ruins (that's they only way they let you up there). Might be too touristy for her, but...Lemme know (you can get contact info thru PaulB), and I'll look into it.

mtbikeaz
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ... Local Rides-Tour Guide

If you still want to hang close by, Pima and Dynamite can be fun with the right group/guide as has been suggested for the Globe event. Just heading out to SoMo, and not knowing your capabilties could be a mistake. I ride P&D often and would gladly meet ya with some buddies for a ride Sat or Sun am, T100 and the MCDowells also offer some great variety. T100 has more technical and can provide a 1/2 day easy.
    E me if you want to stay up north Scottsdale for P&D, I always can put some differnet routes together based on what you want to do. Nothing killer, but still fun and some of the best scenery and views in the Valley

More Chasmism

Thank You All...

...for the good information. I'm not sure how much time I'll have free each of those days. The DH runs on Pinal Mt. sound fun, so perhaps I should bring the Bullit. Other than that I'm just looking for smooth singletrack, which I find quite exotic.

If it turns out that I have a bulk of time open on Saturday to do Pinal I'll contact the appropriate people (PedalAZ or PaulB) to see if I can tag along.

Thanks again to you all!

hfly <-- quickly growing weary of Jeep Safari

Skinny legged XC geek

Oh, and another option

[QUOTE=hflyIf it turns out that I have a bulk of time open on Saturday to do Pinal I'll contact the appropriate people (PedalAZ or PaulB) to see if I can tag along.[/QUOTE]

We'd love to see you on the Globe rides, but ther is another group outing in Prescott, camping at Granite Basin Lake. Cool pines, buff singletrack, non-technical and great for hardtails. Prescott is also about 2 hrs from where you're staying.

You don't need the Bullit for Pinal Peak, a hardtail would still be fun. The Bullit would be best for South Mountain, but SoMo's primary trails (Mormon/National) are ridden by hardtails all the time.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    what kind of "outing" is in prescott? not the whiskey pre-ride thing? cause that's not really worth riding considering all the other good singletrack here.

Skinny legged XC geek

Well, frankly Jm, they're "outing" you. (JK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    what kind of "outing" is in prescott? not the whiskey pre-ride thing? cause that's not really worth riding considering all the other good singletrack here.
    Much of the RideAZ group is headed up there for 2 days camping at Granite Basin. If you're not headed to Globe, you could show them a little local knowledge.

So, speaking of Presoctt outings, will you be attending the Cycle Speedway opening this weekend? It seems like a bizarre deal, but a must see for the bike-obsessed.

mtbr member

Hardtail riding

Being from Moab I'm confident you would enjoy South Mt. on the ht. National, Geronimo and Mormon are all fun technical rides. While they usually aren't the preferred ht rides in the area they would still be very fun.
    For ht singletrack my suggestion would be the Hawes area. It is much smoother than South Mt. has quite a few options and is out of the main hussle and bussle of town. Conntecting Hawes and Pass Mt. would stack up 30 miles of which a vast majority would be rolling, sweeping singletrack.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    Much of the RideAZ group is headed up there for 2 days camping at Granite Basin. If you're not headed to Globe, you could show them a little local knowledge.

So, speaking of Presoctt outings, will you be attending the Cycle Speedway opening this weekend? It seems like a bizarre deal, but a must see for the bike-obsessed.
    Scott, you gotcher weekends confused... next weekend on April 16-17 is Paul's Globe festivities and the following weekend April 23-24 is our Granite Basin fun. And tomorrow is the Squealer!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ

Yeah, I found a cool new way to loop trails at granite basin. I found a way to ride down trail 40, but start from granite basin lake, ride up 349, then skirt the north side of the OHV park, then meet trail 37 near the top, to trail 40, and back (we included this in a 29 mile ride out there). Basically it is a loop starting at the lake, and comming back down trial 40. It's a great route, although one of the "turns" is extremely hard to find and you wont find it unless you know where to look. I may be up for this, it's getting down to finals-time as well, so no promises.

Skinny legged XC geek

Yeah, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Scott, you gotcher weekends confused... next weekend on April 16-17 is Paul's Globe festivities and the following weekend April 23-24 is our Granite Basin fun. And tomorrow is the Squealer!
    Springtime in AZ. Hard to keep track of all the good riding!!!

Saucy Size Moderator
    FYI I've posted my final Globe update over on the AZ board, under the main Globe thread.

Hope you can make it!

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.