Thread: Phoenix

More Chasmism

Phoenix

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggstions regarding rides in Phoenix, and thanks especially to Paul B for his guidebook. I ended up doing:

-- Mormon-->upper National-->back down National on Friday afternoon
    -- Granite Basin by Prescott all day Saturday (lots of loops)
    -- Mine Loop at Hawes Sunday morning

I was impressed with all of the rides. National was a blast on the hardtail. I was going to skip it because of all the warnings about its technicality, but it ended up being far less difficult than I expected. Prescott's riding surprised me. Very good stuff and rather Elden-esque. Hawes was probably my favorite, if only because it was early morning and the desert was so beautiful.

In retrospect, I do wish I had brought my Bullit along and gone out to Globe for the "Blowout" on Saturday. I ended up having far more time that day than I thought I would. Hindsight.

Thanks again to everyone for the good advice.

hfly

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Thanks to everyone who gave me suggstions regarding rides in Phoenix, and thanks especially to Paul B for his guidebook. I ended up doing:

-- Mormon-->upper National-->back down National on Friday afternoon
    -- Granite Basin by Prescott all day Saturday (lots of loops)
    -- Mine Loop at Hawes Sunday morning

I was impressed with all of the rides. National was a blast on the hardtail. I was going to skip it because of all the warnings about its technicality, but it ended up being far less difficult than I expected. Prescott's riding surprised me. Very good stuff and rather Elden-esque. Hawes was probably my favorite, if only because it was early morning and the desert was so beautiful.

In retrospect, I do wish I had brought my Bullit along and gone out to Globe for the "Blowout" on Saturday. I ended up having far more time that day than I thought I would. Hindsight.

Thanks again to everyone for the good advice.

hfly
    Darn, I wish I coulda showed you the "trail 40" loop at granite, it's a blast with a good amount of vertical and speed (cause most of it is rather flat out there)....Glad you had fun though. Our runs down the mountain in Globe typically took about 2 hours from the top to the bottom
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Glutton for punishment
    Jm,

We left after dinner on Saturday, so we didn't see you guys. Wanted to know what you thought of the Foes? Does it perform up to your expectation? How's the brake jack and all that?

ScottN

Saucy Size
    So sad for you -- the shuttles ran relatively smoothly and we had a constant stream of people coming down the mountain. Great weather, trails were in generally great shape (with one exception), lots of good riders to hang with.

Glad you had a good time while you were here -- you made some good choices (but not as good a choice as Globe would have been. ).

Catch you next time,

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Hawes was probably my favorite, if only because it was early morning and the desert was so beautiful.

hfly
    Sounds like you had some good rides while in AZ. What time were you out at Hawes? I was out there about 9-11:30 and was on a Kona SS. We must have crossed pathes at some point.

Mike

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottN
    Jm,

We left after dinner on Saturday, so we didn't see you guys. Wanted to know what you thought of the Foes? Does it perform up to your expectation? How's the brake jack and all that?

ScottN
    No noticable brack jack, it only has 5 or 5.75" of travel though. I'd imagine that the more travel you have, the bigger the effects are going to be. The effects are still there with 5" of travel I am sure, but it's hard to notice. I really really like how it tracks through stuff...it's just super-stiff. It was fun going around all the switchbacks on 6-shooter that the guys on DH bikes couldn't make. It's not as long as my azonic was, but it doesn't seem to be less stable. The lockout is a little hard to deal with. It is spring loaded to the "on" position, so when I get on or off my bike, I can "switch" it on sometimes with my legs. It has a high speed blowoff so it doesn't damage the shock, but it is a little annoying when I don't look down to check when I'm getting back on the bike. I ripped out a brake cable at the top of squaw springs, but I still had a lot of fun comming down that trail and toll road. I do like the bike, my drivetrain is poop right now cause my derailer is all bent out of shape, but overall I am pretty happy with it. It does what I thought it'd do. It pedals kind of crappy without the lockout on when you are going up something smooth, but that's what a low-single-pivot will do. The curnutt shock will be a good upgrade, and I'll be saving up for it.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth