life is a barrel o'fun

Philadelphia trail recommendations?

Next weekend, attending a bachelorette party there. Would like to bring my bike and sample what the Philly area has to offer.

Anything worth checking out w/in a reasonable distance? I probably have just Sunday afternoon free. Preferably someplace on my way back to NY, northeast PA.

NC Rider

Pennypack Park

Great ride in NE Philly - I try to hit it at least once a month. 20+ miles of singletrack and fire-road type riding - with an additional 12+ miles of paved pathways. No monster hills but enough to keep you interested. Check out the reviews under the Trails section here.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Next weekend, attending a bachelorette party there. Would like to bring my bike and sample what the Philly area has to offer.

Anything worth checking out w/in a reasonable distance? I probably have just Sunday afternoon free. Preferably someplace on my way back to NY, northeast PA.
    If you're going to be in Philadelphia, you might as well go to Wissahickon. The riding is great. You can put together a nice 14 mile loop that's a mix of technical stuff and fast singletrack, and it's within the city limits (though you'd never guess). The place is like a big rollercoaster; almost always either climbing or descending and, if you get tired at any point, you can always drop down to Forbidden Drive and pedal out along the Wissahickon Creek.

If you're interested in having someone show you around, send me an email or private message and we can figure out a time and place to meet.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

life is a barrel o'fun
    Thanks! I was researching the reviews and thought that Jacobsburg Park (?) on the way back up north would be the way to go.

That would be way cool if you wanted to show me around, although your avatar is a bit

Once I get a better idea about my social obligations (would it be rude to pick up and go for a ride while visiting?) and schedule, I'll send you a PM. Can't imagine why not Saturday morning, or at least Sunday.

Pull my finger
    Thanks! I was researching the reviews and thought that Jacobsburg Park (?) on the way back up north would be the way to go.

That would be way cool if you wanted to show me around, although your avatar is a bit

Once I get a better idea about my social obligations (would it be rude to pick up and go for a ride while visiting?) and schedule, I'll send you a PM. Can't imagine why not Saturday morning, or at least Sunday.
    Don't be fooled by Stick's avatar, he's a big *****cat. I mean *****.
    And he's right, Wissahickon is a great ride.

Riding in Philly, I seem to remember that....vaguely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Jacobsburg

I ride Jacobsburg generally once a week out of convenience. It is very easy to get lost if you have never been there before. If you are looking for technical single track, this is probably not your best choice. It is a nice place to spin and if you know your way around, get a pretty good workout. The single track sections are short.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Jacobsburg

I ride Jacobsburg out of convenience maybe once a week. Its a good place to spin. Its not very technical or I should say the technical sections are short. Its also very easy to get lost if you have never been there before. Maybe worth visiting on your way by if only for a short time.

life is a barrel o'fun
    http://www.weather.com/weather/local...ocalUndeclared

Damn Philly weather report

Notice how it only rains on the friggin' weekends?!!

Inbred Homebrewer

Yeah, it's kinda bleak. Still, Wissahickon soil is sandy and drains rediculously fast. It will be muddy, but it's rarely so sloppy as to make riding unpleasant.

Re: would it be rude to pick up and go riding while visiting? Certainly not, I think. But then, I'm more than a little biased. Anyway, if you can find the time (3 hrs is more than enough) I'd love to give you the 'grand tour', as it were. Rain or shine.

Tomorrow morning works for me, or any time on sunday. Tomorrow's forecast looked okay last time I checked (showers ending early, then partly cloudy) so lemme know.

-Joe

P.S. Jive's right. I'm harmless enough. *****? Dunno about that, but I'm no axe murderer and my avatar is just the Cove logo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I grew up

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Y
    Great ride in NE Philly - I try to hit it at least once a month. 20+ miles of singletrack and fire-road type riding - with an additional 12+ miles of paved pathways. No monster hills but enough to keep you interested. Check out the reviews under the Trails section here.
    just down the street from Pennypack park. Me and my friends used to hike there. I wish I had been into mountain bikiing then. I think I'll bring my bike when I visit the folks next year. 20+ miles? Sweet.

Inbred Homebrewer

Well, despite the rather crappy weather this weekend, I managed to get in two completely rain-free rides. Went to Wissahickon on Saturday, from 11:30 a.m to 2:00 p.m. Trail was in great shape. A few muddy patches but, other than that, it was fast and traction was fine.

Yesterday, I went to High Rocks. A bit muddier than Wissahickon, but still not bad at all given the amount of rain lately. Was so windy yesterday morning and early afternoon that, by the time I got there at 5:30, much of the mud had dried up and the rocks were completely dry.

Did you manage to get a ride in somewhere?

life is a barrel o'fun
    Damn, looks like I'll be taking the train to Philly. My car is making strange noises Don't wanna risk it. Sigh.