mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Performance® Hurricane™ Aftershock Suspension Pump

Hi Man

Any body have the experience using the Performance® Hurricane™ Aftershock Suspension Pump. Who claim 'Designed to be used on front and rear shocks. No leak head allows for the most precise pressure adjustments'. Is it really leak proof especially pump on SPV Manituo air shock? As I always lost 40 to 50 lbs when disconnecting. Thanks guy.
    Ricky

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

No good

I had one and gave it away because I hated it, but I think I'm the odd man out. Most people on the board think it's great and highly recommend it.

The complex head (that is supposedly the advantage in that it doesn't allow air to escape when you connect/disconnect it) really annoyed me because it took too long to connect/disconnect. I thought it was a PITA. Also, the small release button on mine (usually used when you want to drop a pound or two for precise adjustment) didn't work properly. I'd just barely touch it, and it would drop 30 psi, so I could never quite get the right amount of pressure in my shock.

I'm much happier now that I went back to a plain old cheap conventional shock pump.

Then again, just MHO.

Trail Sanitizer
    I'm not a big fan of mine either. Mine starts to leak right about the point where I need to add just a little more air to fine tune.

Rat Fink
    The part that screws onto the valve is very deep and the valve on my TALAS doesn't go in far enough to open it.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Rolling
    I have one and it works well for my Manitou swinger. However, It's one of those things that looks like it has so many seals, in 1 year it might leak and be worthless. But for $15 and as rarely as I use it, I'm happy.

You can also get other pumps with no bleed heads or no bleed adaptors. But sometimes they don't work well either.

Speed bump. You are correct about that bleed button. It's more like a "dump" button. That is one of the faults of that pump. Just means you have pump it up accurately or start over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks all you guys

Thanks a lot man
    What pumps with similar function but lack of the fault that Performance have? I mean no leak. Because I not good in estimate the leakage especially SPV of Manitou shock. You know the volume is too small when compared with main pressure chamber. Sometimes the leak may vary with skills or speed in disconnect. Thanks
    Ricky

Reviewer/Tester
    I've had no problems with both of my Hurricane pumps. They work really well.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This pump won't even pump air into my '05 Skareb. And yes, I am using it right.

Hmm, looks bent.
    Aug 2005
    I was going bananas when I couldn't get the rear shock on my brand new, first ever MB (MKIII) to hold air when using the pump. I took the bike to a LBS who promptly set my sag for me using his own pump. I'm taking this POS hurricane back to Performance first thing. I did a search and found this thread thankfully. I did read some folks had to grind the head of the things down to work!