RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009

Perfect bike passion:

Last year was my wife's first off-road triathlon. She used the only bike she had. It was an 8-year old Trek 4500 hardtail.

The 13" frame fit her about as well as could be expected (she's not quite 4'11"), but it weighed about 30 pounds, had rim brakes, no rear suspension, and had a cheap Judy TT fork that might as well have been rigid.

I promised her that if she finished the event (at all), that I would build her a bike appropriate for the task at hand.

She won three medals.

Fast forward several months and almost $5,000, and she is now riding a 20 pound Yeti AS-R race bike (size XXS) with hydraulic disc brakes and air suspension (with lockouts) on both ends. And it's pink. She worked with me to select every single component that went into the build.

We've been sneaking up on getting it dialed in, and it's getting pretty close to perfect. Watching her climb and descend makes me break out in a big smile, and when she hits the lockouts and spins on the flat sections, she's much faster than she used to be, too.

I think I'm enjoying her having a new bike more than I would have enjoyed a new bike for myself.

mtbr member
    thats awesome, my gf and i got new santa cruz frames, ive never seen her more excited to about biking in my life-
    its awesome watching somones passion so close blow up in such a good way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS

I think I'm enjoying her having a new bike more than I would have enjoyed a new bike for myself.
    RIS- I know exactly what you mean. I had more fun building my wife's 1x1 than any of my bikes. And watching her enjoy riding it... can't be beat.

Nice work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh yeah, and pics or it doesn't exist.

DynoDon
    How do we know if this perfect bike even exists if there are no pic's?? sound good though, congrats on what sounds like a great build...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I wish I could get my gf to even look on a website that sells MTB stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    pointerDixie's wife here: Congrats! It is awesome that you included your wife in a sport that means so much to you! I love mountain biking and am so glad that my husband introduced me to the sport. Does your wife have any advice for a girl thinking about pursuing offroad tris?

But seriously, please post pictures of the bike or I will forever deem you a liar.

The White Jeff W
    I built a hardtail for my GF a few weeks ago. She's been riding around the neighborhood but due to scheduling conflicts we weren't able to get out on a proper singletrack ride until last Saturday (her first). She complained a bit about the hills and bugs but said she had fun, I figured just to humor me.

Today she asked if we could go out again this weekend

No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Why would she want to look at an mtb site if she doesnt ride? If anyone had asked me to go moutain biking I would have told them they were crazy. I bought a rigid mtb years ago with the intention of occasionaly riding those flat gravel paths at the state park, then I accidently stumbled onto a real mtb trail. Had to walk most of it but I kept going back, cause it was so much fun.

Just get your gf to go for a ride with you, in exchange you can go do something with or for her that you don't wanna do. Once you get her out there, go at her speed, not yours. She might decide she likes it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbles
    Why would she want to look at an mtb site if she doesnt ride? If anyone had asked me to go moutain biking I would have told them they were crazy. I bought a rigid mtb years ago with the intention of occasionaly riding those flat gravel paths at the state park, then I accidently stumbled onto a real mtb trail. Had to walk most of it but I kept going back, cause it was so much fun.

Just get your gf to go for a ride with you, in exchange you can go do something with or for her that you don't wanna do. Once you get her out there, go at her speed, not yours. She might decide she likes it.
    Yeah because getting her to actually go riding would be much easier than getting her to look at a website. (end sarcasm). If you get a chance this weekend, try climb down from your tower.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    Oh yeah, and pics or it doesn't exist.
    It exists. I haven't taken any pictures of it since we finished it, but here is a shot of it under construction:

thecentralscrutinizer
    RIS, Looks pretty nice. How much stuff have you gone back and changed for her?

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Thanks. She's diggin' pretty much everything about it. She does her first race on it in just a few hours.

We haven't changed much. Prior to this photo, we originally had it set up with a pair of Mavic Crossmax SL wheels, but that's a whole 'nother story.

We were very pleased that the first saddle that we tried (Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow) worked great, and some parts that might be a little too WW for you or I (KCNC Scandium handlebar, KCNC Scandium seat post, and Maxxis Maxxlite 285 race tires run tubeless) work just fine for a 100 pound rider.

It's now sporting a pair Eggbeater pedals, a pair of of 46 gram KCNC bar ends, and a pair of 49 gram Token titanium skewers (with pink-anodized ends).

It's probably going to get a set of e-bay titanium pedal spindles, a lighter seat post clamp, and maybe a 140mm G3 rear brake rotor (we've already got the caliper adapter mount).
    Last edited by RIS; 10-31-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Vermonter to the Core
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbles

This method is working with my wife!! she had a blast on the slow gravel path.. she even feel over and dint complain, just laughed and got back on!!
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Her first race on her new bike went well.

She took about a half-hour off of her previous finishing time (off-road sprint-distance triathlon). She was quicker everywhere, but made most of her passes on the descent. She's been practicing the descent, and went faster on race day than she's ever gone before.

Her only comment regarding potential improvement to her set-up was that she didn't use as much front-end travel as she was expecting. In spite of really lighting the afterburner on the down hill, she only used about two-thirds of her available travel in front. We had set up the bike for the way that the course has looked previously, but right before race day, someone went through and made significant revisions to the two gnarliest/steepest sections, removing the majority of the boulders / large rocks that were previously causing her to use so much front end travel.

She put quite a bit of color into her rear brake rotor. Maybe we'll keep the 160 mm rear rotor.

I was pleased that she had no tire issues, in spite of running Maxxis Maxxlite 285 tires tubeless. I guess a light rider really helps in this area.

DynoDon
    Congradulations on both the bike, and the race, good job to both of you.. the bike looks good too..

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Per the request PM'd to me, here is the build list:

Yeti AS-R size XXS frame w/ Fox RP23 shock
    Rock Shox SID Race 100mm w/ Poploc lockout
    Crank Brothers Cobalt head set
    Crank Brothers Cobalt wheel set
    Crank Brothers Egg Beater C pedals
    Avid Elixir R 160/160 hydraulic disc brakes
    Easton EA70 stem
    KCNC SC Bone Scandium handlebar
    KCNC Ti Pro Lite Scandium seatpost
    KCNC bar ends
    Shimano XT M770 170mm crankset
    Shimano XT M770 shifter pods (with multi-release mod)
    Shimano XT cassette
    Shimano XT front and rear derailleurs
    Shimano XT HG93 chain
    Titec Pluto Pork Rind grips
    Maxxis Maxxlite 285 tires (tubeless, w/ Stan's sealant)
    Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow saddle
    Token titanium quick-release skewers

Lets ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    It exists. I haven't taken any pictures of it since we finished it, but here is a shot of it under construction:

Nice bike
    Last edited by 1993gsxr907; 11-02-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    11 Ellsworth Evolve still in box
    10 Salsa El Mariachi Ti
    96 Kona Hei Hei Ti

Members who have read this thread: 0