Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedals

Cow Clicker

Pedals

What pedals and shoes do you ride with and why?
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

No Stranger to danger....
    Straitline defactos, because they are the best pedal ive used n ive used alot of top of the line flats, i prefer the bushings than the bearings, i like the large size of the flats, the pins n placement of then are perfect, they are as tough as nails n overall quality is top notch as is all straitline products.
    As for shoes 5.10 impacts cause they are built well with a top sole on them, but they are bloody hot on the feet, so often just wear runners, i can get away with them on the wide straitlines with heaps of pins..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm running SPD Shimano 540's.. They have lasted a really long time. I keep thinking I need to upgrade due to how banged up they are, but they still work the same way as when I got them 7-8 years ago. Never any problems in dusty or muddy conditions. I'll replace with the same when the time comes.

As for shoe's, I am using Specialized Comp MTN.. I am having a little trouble with numbness in my toes on extended rides, I haven't narrowed down the problem yet, it could be shoe related or something else. I think I'll try Sidi Dominator 5 next time, but they are so expensive. I'd like to hear some other responses on shoes as well.

mtbr member
    Saint platforms and 510 Freeriders....no washers on the pins. Great feel and really sticky
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

sh*t disturber
    Time ATAC when clipless because they shed mud better than any Shimano pedals I've used. Lots of shoes (Sidi are my faves, but also like my Lake, Specialized and Carnac through the years).

Lately, I've gone back to flats and have been running Deity Decoy pedals with Teva Links. Really digging that combo.
    Last edited by celly; 09-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    I ride Time ATAC's because they're bomber and they have good float for my knees....I wear Pearl Izumi X-Alp Elite's because they're comfy and HAB awesome which is kinda important for bikepacking since bikepacking is sometimes just hiking with a useless 37lb piece of junk for extended periods of time.

mtbr member
    Pedals: Speedplay Frogs. They have no spring tension, nothing forcing your feet to a particular position and when it's time to unclip, there's no spring force to overcome; you just twist to the release point and you're out. They also offer more float than any other pedal out there if your knees need the extra freedom. And as a bonus, they're some of the lightest pedals out there.

They clear mud, snow and most everything else. Hard adobe clay won't clear, but that's true of pretty much any pedal. The only issue I've found with them is fine, dry sand. It makes engaging them difficult as they get really dry and the cleat and pedal don't like to move freely with that grit between them.

Shoes: Specialized Rime. Just got them this summer for the Vibram soles and they are the best overall shoes I've had. They took a while to break in and get really fit to my feet and they still seem to need adjusting mid-ride, but the sole makes these minor annoyances worth it. When you need to walk - especially over rocks and tough terrain - the soles actually offer traction! Even when the terrain is wet. I just wonder what took someone so long to get a Vibram sole on a MTB shoe!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sidi dominators. and shimano PD-M530 MTB SPD Pedals because they were on a good sale at hucknroll and I wanted to try some SPD's with the platform.

mtbr member
    Shimano 540's. Use them because I have always used them.

Giro Codes. Light and super stiff. HAB is a no-go with these though.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Love the straitline de facto pedals I've got. I keep the pins out over the axle bore. I have five ten freeriders and they match great. After over a year, my freeriders are beginning to feel the abuse. Rebuilt both pairs of de facto pedals I've got. Once it was because the pedal took a large amount of impact from when the bike went falling off a car.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Toro
    Shimano 520/540 are awesome. But, I just got a set of Time ATAC pedals and, hmmm, they are great! I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Shoes: Pearl Izumi and Specialized.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

n00b
    Aug 2011
    thanks dudes.
    I think the one thing I need to replace on my 2012 Trek Cobia are the pedals.
    I've been sliding a good amount on the stock.
    Would love to actually stick on them. with any shoe!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Time ATACs. Easy in and out. Work great.

Giro Privateers. Comfortable, feel great.

mtbr member
    Seems like there is alot of ATAC praise on these boards. Probably warranted. I learned clipless in a defacto manner. My first real MTB came stock with 540's in 1996. Bought some Pearl Izumi Cleated shoes the day I picked up the bike and have never looked back.
    I will probably stick with what I know, but the amount of accolades the Time pedals get here makes me think I might be missing something?

mtbr member
    Right now I'm running Shimano XT M780 with multidirectional cleat. Supportive pedal, really like how they feel under the feet. I like the float they provide, good for my knees. I like how easy they are to get out of. Not as easy to get in as Crank Bros pedals in my opinion.

Shoes, some comfy old Specialized Tahoe and a pair of Specialized Comp Pro. I really like how comfy the Tahoes are, I just don't like how they look, they're kind of gooberish.

I also own some flat pedals Wellgo W71. They're pretty thin, some pins on the corners only. They're cheap, $26 bucks. I ride those with some Nike ACG sneaks. I only run flats on days I do more all mountain stuff or go to a wicked hard place to ride that's filled with slippery roots, sharp rocks, really tech riding. Sometimes I just feel safer with flats ( but not more efficient) when I ride flats, and it's a different feel on the bike.

I've ridden with Time's ATAC for years, pretty good pedals. Bombproof, clears mud, pretty easy to get in. Not as easy as Shimano to unclip.
    I've ridden with Crank Bro Candys for years. Super easy to clip in, not as easy to unclip as Shimano.

ENDO!!!
    I've been riding Crank borthers for about 6 years. I ride eggbeaters and acids, love em both!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    straitline defactos are very nice. just recently put on a pair of Specialized Bennies on my 4X and am quite happy with them. just a bit smaller than my straitlines. i just switch out those grub screws with straitline pins and it's like defactos @ 40% off msrp!
    i really should type less and tread more

MTB, Road, Commuting
    +(another) 1 Time ATAC. They clear better and release consistently with no maintenance. SPDs seem to trap your foot if they aren't lubed. You can just ignore the times and they keep working.

NorthWave shoes seem good for wide feet. I have a hard time getting excited about cycling shoes. If it fits and has a stiff sole it's good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    VP Mountain flat cage pedals and Teva Pinner shoes

but i'm a total f-ing rookie...

Cumbria, England.
    Atacs and Shimano shoes...they both seem to last a long a time, although the shoes aren't as good as they used to be.
    Why is this question in the passion thread though?
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

No Stranger to danger....
    ^^^ cause the mans passionate about his pedals n shoes, thats gotta be a good thing, he might even have a fetish for them n theres nothin wrong with that.......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Speedplay Frogs (Ti) with Loui Garneau shoes. Love 'em because of their simplicity. Have had the pedals for about ten years too. The shoes and cleats I recently replaced and had a little trouble because I initially installed with a cleat spacer, that was effecting click-in, but removed the spacer and they are as good as ever. The LG shoes replaced a pair of SIDI dominators from the mid 90's that were starting to decay. So far happy with the shoe at this price.

mtbr member
    Platforms: Easton Flatboys, VP-001's, DMR V8's, and Holzfellers.

Shoes: Teva Pinners, DC's, and FiveTen Barons & Freeriders. Also have a pair of Nike Jordans that have worked out perfectly, all black, flat sole, don't know the model #....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by D45yth View Post
    Atacs and Shimano shoes...they both seem to last a long a time, although the shoes aren't as good as they used to be.
    Why is this question in the passion thread though?
    Look at the way people write about them!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I switch it up to keep it interesting. I either use shimano spd 520s with bontrager mtb race shoes or wellgo mg1s with some adio skate shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast