Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pedals

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    +1. Sent mine in (twice) well out of warranty and got them fixed free both times.

Currently riding 2 pair of the eb 3's, one set of Ti's, and one set of candies with no further issues.

Shimano M225 and more recently Northwave extreme tech shoes.

Or flats with 5-10's for the big bike.

I don't have any receipt or proof of purchase since they were already installed in an used bike I bought. Seems like I will have to find more info regarding their warranty.

Today I rode with the Mallets, they work well but the plastic casing of the flat pedal gets beat up pretty easy. I don't mind aesthetics, so this doesn't concern me. Bottom line, if you want your bike parts to look brand new and shiny, don't get them; if you don't mind dents and scratches, get them. They clip/unclip relatively easy and it is a plus to have a bit of support while riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Shimano PD-M520: paid $35 with cleats just to try out the whole clipless thing....between my abuse, pedal strikes, sand mud, a random piece of barb wire they seem indestructible

Lake shoes nothing special, cheap ebay buy to get me clipped in

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Riding my second pair of egg beaters now. They have a ton of slop in the axle and a lot of visible wear where they meet the cleat. great consistent pedal clipping in and out.
    However they do occasionally release when the bottom of the pedal strikes a rock (usually during a technical step up) It's more a distraction than anything but annoying regardless.
    I have used shimano's and other spd style in the past with better reliability than the egg's
    Do the time's release on pedal strikes as well? If not I may try those next.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Shimano MD520 and Botranger Solstice shoes. The pedals were cheap from Amazon and the shoes were available in my size at the LBS for $80. So far so good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Time atac alium because Time are the best duh and the atack aliums were the cheapest version.

I can't remember the exact shoes but some shimano something or other that were on sale.

The Mountain Bike Life
    I ride Straitline Lenoskys with Shimano AM-41 shoes...because both are awesome!

God I hope straps don't come back...we got rid of them for a good reason.

mtbr member
    Crank Brothers Candy 1 pedals because i am a semi poor college student and wanted a platform so i could ride to school with regular shoes. I received some money for Christmas so i purchased those pedals for 40 dollars new with cleats and bought Giro Carbide mtn bike shoes for $50, at REI with free shipping!!!

They have been working well together, i highly recommend them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedals-105_0525.jpg  

Last edited by darton23; 01-20-2013 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Time X-Roc pedals and 510 Hellcats.... I love the feel and security of Time pedals and 510's are just comfortable and look cool!

mtbr member
    Shimano XT (2012's maybe?). They just work. Have always been a SPD person for MTBs, since the late 90s. Shoes I am currently using the Exustar carbon soled ones they had for sale on Nashbar last summer for ~$90. Very nice shoes for that price, maybe not worth the claimed $250 retail, but very nice for $90. We'll see how they hold up over time but in 6 months they've been great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Time

Quote Originally Posted by celly View Post
    Time ATAC when clipless because they shed mud better than any Shimano pedals I've used. Lots of shoes (Sidi are my faves, but also like my Lake, Specialized and Carnac through the years).

Lately, I've gone back to flats and have been running Deity Decoy pedals with Teva Links. Really digging that combo.
    Hey there, this is my first time on the forum. I would have to agree that Time pedals are the go! I gave up on candy brothers and shimano spds and finally settled on Time ATAC because they're great in the mud, have easily adjusted stiffness settings and are maintenance free. I have them on all three bikes. Only downside would be that cleats are expensive to replace and they wear pretty fast.

banned
    Jan 2013
    XTR or go home. I only rde XTR components. That how I roll.

mtbr member
    5-10 Freeriders / Wellgo MG-1, B132

-or-

Various eggbeaters (2?) and Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Spank Spike on my TBLTc. HUGE improvement over previous (thick, heavy, Al platforms). With all pins installed, I'm glued to the pedals

Rogue Exterminator
    Been using the cheap plastic ones that came on the bike but recently I have been feeling the need to turn my shins in to hamburger meat so I ordered some Wellgo MG-1's
    I hope to hell my feat don't slip much because they look brutal. lol

Shoes I have been wearing are some old Puma Track spikes.
    They stick like hell on the plastic pedals. Will probably switch to skate shoes though.

the half breed devil
    shimano/shimano.

never had any problems.

still running 737 spuds on the 'cross...

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    Riding my second pair of egg beaters now. They have a ton of slop in the axle and a lot of visible wear where they meet the cleat. great consistent pedal clipping in and out.
    However they do occasionally release when the bottom of the pedal strikes a rock (usually during a technical step up) It's more a distraction than anything but annoying regardless.
    I have used shimano's and other spd style in the past with better reliability than the egg's
    Do the time's release on pedal strikes as well? If not I may try those next.
    Time Aliums and the ROC series do not release on rock strikes, and are crazy reliable. The lighter XS pedals do release on rock strike.

pin it
    For DH Pedals are Gusset. Thin and grippy and most importantly they are bright pink! I wear 5,10 Karvers My feet never slip off the pedals

For Trails and FR. Pedals are NRG Thin and light. and grippy for climbing. I wear Teva Links, More flexy than the 5.10s. I tried the Tevas for DH but they did not grip as well as the 5.10s

For Road. Pedals are Look KEO 2 max. Easy clip in and release. Shoes Specialized (very light and comfy)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Always used SPDs as they work well for me.

I currently use XTR trail with Specialized MTB pro shoes. It's a stupid combo as the carbon soled shoes are so stiff that the extra cage on the trail pedals do nothing. When I first got the trails I had older more flexible shoes and it did help a little

I also have a set of XT race on my other bike. I don't notice much/any diff between the XT and XTR with the same shoes.

Digital Toast
    This last year I rode the whole season on Keen sandals and Specialized LoPro pedals. On my Turner, Redline, Balfa and Slingshot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I ride DMR Vaults because I have size 14 feet. They are plenty wide enough and have great grip. I also use 5-10 impacts.

mtbr member
    Snagged a set of tubro flat pedals from akacoke on here, cant wait to try em out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Same

Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    Saint platforms and 510 Freeriders....no washers on the pins. Great feel and really sticky
    Yeah same here. And I'm and old TNUC.

Fat & Single
    Time Atac Carbons, been riding 2 paris for about 3 years now, the cleats wear faster than SPD's but its a small price to pay.
    No play, loads of float, positive engagement and very easy to unclip in an emergency. I put these pedals down 100% to fewer crashes as i can unclip 1 foot and dab or bail to feet rather than hitting the ground.

I ride Lake shoes usually but recenty got a pair of Dragon 3's, not impressed at all.... hanging out for Pearl Izumi X-projects which will hopefully be released soon.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Louis Garneau Montana and Shimano XT pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was riding with the standard Crank Brothers eggbeaters. I just bought a set of the Candys and love them!! I find my cleat can locate the spindle better and engaging and disengaging have become more fluid. I dont feel any float or loosness like some complain about the spd's.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast