Thread: Pedals

high plains drifter

Time atacs

over ten years
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedals-pic_0539.jpg  

Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    I'm running SPD Shimano 540's.. They have lasted a really long time. I keep thinking I need to upgrade due to how banged up they are, but they still work the same way as when I got them 7-8 years ago. Never any problems in dusty or muddy conditions. I'll replace with the same when the time comes.

As for shoe's, I am using Specialized Comp MTN.. I am having a little trouble with numbness in my toes on extended rides, I haven't narrowed down the problem yet, it could be shoe related or something else. I think I'll try Sidi Dominator 5 next time, but they are so expensive. I'd like to hear some other responses on shoes as well.
    Sounds like you need to adjust you cleat position
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

human dehumidifier
    Wellgo MG-1s or Canfield Ultimates depending on which bike I'm on. Tennis shoes.

I have a persistent ankle injury that seems to be aggravated by riding clipped in.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    I have been using Times for over ten years. Bomb proof, set and forget pedals. I have never had a single issue.

mtbr member
    I currently ride with Crank Brothers Candy 2's and Specialized sport mtb shoes! After asking questions to all the mtb'ers I know they said definitely go with Crank Brothers. My brother had one pair of Shimano's pedals and he said he liked them so well he sold them with the bike they were on. I love my CB's pedals.

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Panic View Post
    I currently ride with Crank Brothers Candy 2's and Specialized sport mtb shoes! After asking questions to all the mtb'ers I know they said definitely go with Crank Brothers. My brother had one pair of Shimano's pedals and he said he liked them so well he sold them with the bike they were on. I love my CB's pedals.
    I'm a huge fan of the eggbeaters in particular. A recent muddy/fording/climbing/switchback filled ride really underscored this, as the riders with eggbeaters had no issues, and the guy with the shimano spd's couldn't get his to clip until he spent 20 mins fussing with them and cleaning them out.
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Eggbeaters and some kind of Sette shoes. A buddy turned me on to the eggbeaters 5 or 6 yrs ago. 2nd set and I like them. Sette shoes cuz of the price. Seem to hold up ok.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sidi Dominators and Shimano 535's. I have had those pedals forever. Bought em back in the late 90's and they have been on numerous bikes over the past 12-13 years. Basically a cheaper version of the 747 pedal which I have also used on numerous bikes. Not sure why but the 535's have been the best balance of retention and ease of clipping in and out so I usually end-up with them back on my bike, not because they are light and cool, but just because they work so well for me. The right pedal finally developed a little play and I ended-up rebuilding them this year. Lots of loose tiny little ball-bearings which were hard to find and harder to install. Pedals are working like a champ again though and just put them on a new niner build.

mtbr member
    Shimano SPD's since the early 90's... Most of my buddies are on Time's, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2 kinds

Either (Pimplite WRX) with normal shoes (tennis shoes light hikers like low top merrells, KEENs or something similar)

or egg beaters and Mavic Rush Shoes for workouts, more technical stuff,

Egg beaters are cheap and easy, the Mavic Rush shoes were about the cheapest shoes that fit and had a tightening ratchet which is great for mid trail adjustments as your shoes stretch/socks get wet, whatever... you can ratchet them down without getting off your bike. I figures out how cool that was on road and transferred it when I bought mountain bike shoes

mtbr member
    Shimano 520s with a 10 yo pair of Sidi Dominator 2s. I like Shimano b/c they are consistent, durable, and have a positive in/out. I have ridden Shimano knock-offs and a pair of Onzas (terrible!!) and farted around with EggBeaters...always end up back with the big S. For the shoes, love my Sidis, stiff, light, like the ratchet. Probably will get another pair when these die...if I can afford them!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Ugly As F*ck
    On my trail bike Forte Converts, don't like them. Selling the bike so I'll worry about pedals on my next bike. On my DJer Crank Bros 50/50s.

I have 3 pairs of shoes for riding so far. Five Ten Freeriders which I've been using for over a year now. Five Ten Impact lows that I haven't worn yet, waiting for my next trip to the bike park. And I wear Vans when riding my DJer because the Five Tens are too sticky.

spooge is gone!
    Time ATAC that are 15 yrs old. Still work great
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Shimano XT trail and have 2 pair of shoes. Shimanos for more tech trails where I think I'll be doing some DH or uphill hiking over very uneven terrain. Sidi Spider in red for other times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Shimano M530s. I can't find a reason to justify more expensive pedals than these.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    CB Candies and Giro Privateer shoes

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My CB eggbeaters died today. I already bought some CB mallets (got them for cheap new), since I am riding more aggressively .

mtbr member
    I've got a couple of pairs of old Atac Aliums which will least me a while yet. One started to come loose on the spindle during a ride the other day, just tightened the dust cap and it was fixed. Easy to service if you have to though.

mtbr member
    Egg beaters, Lake sandals and Shimano M088's because they are the only shoes that i could find wide enough. When I don't clip in, I use Wellgo rat traps and New Balance hiking shoes.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cerrogordo View Post
    My CB eggbeaters died today. I already bought some CB mallets (got them for cheap new), since I am riding more aggressively .
    Eggbeaters don't die. Just throw a rebuild kit at em.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    E13 lg1 when flat with five10s

Time xc6 when clipless with shimano m088

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Eggbeaters don't die. Just throw a rebuild kit at em.

Wish it was true. I got them with an used 2009 Scott Scale 40 I bought in 2011. They already had a rebuild on them. I bought a rebuild kit last year too.

Today I was riding a technical downhill section of a trail and my right pedal hit a rock. This is the result:

I am completely satisfied with them. Simply, it was their time to go.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cerrogordo View Post
    Wish it was true. I got them with an used 2009 Scott Scale 40 I bought in 2011. They already had a rebuild on them. I bought a rebuild kit last year too.

Today I was riding a technical downhill section of a trail and my right pedal hit a rock. This is the result:

I am completely satisfied with them. Simply, it was their time to go.
    I had that same kind of a failure. If you send them that pedal, they'll replace that spring.
    Probably be pretty cheap and you'll have a spare pair.
    I like turtles

Feel Good About Hood
    Had used Shimano 520's with cheap Shimano shoes for the last 6 years. Pedals were alright, shoes not so much. Just switched to Time ATAC Alium and Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro III. Wow, what a difference. Totally understand all the praise for these pedals. The shoes are light and so much stiffer, but wear like a sneaker and breath really well. I was mainly looking for a comfort improvement as my right knee has started bothering me. But I am also riding with more confidence now. Find myself taking more aggressive lines. Completely recommend Time ATACs!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I had that same kind of a failure. If you send them that pedal, they'll replace that spring.
    Probably be pretty cheap and you'll have a spare pair.
    +1. Sent mine in (twice) well out of warranty and got them fixed free both times.

Currently riding 2 pair of the eb 3's, one set of Ti's, and one set of candies with no further issues.

Shimano M225 and more recently Northwave extreme tech shoes.

Or flats with 5-10's for the big bike.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast