Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pedals

mtbr member
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 3 on the Hardtail and CB Mallet 2s on the Rigid Singlespeed. I've never used anything different but they work great for me, no issues in 2 years. I find them easy as pie to get in and out. YMMV.

Shoes: Pair of Scott Trail Shoes. Not a common shoe among riders on this board but they're high quality, firm, and held up great and the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    ^^^ cause the mans passionate about his pedals n shoes, thats gotta be a good thing.....
    Sure why not!

see me rollin, they hatin
    Scott has a lot of cool stuff actually (clothes and bike gear)
    fap

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Whatever came on my bike, becasue they're there
    New balance minimus, because they're comfy.

I'm probably so wrong, but I'm also a cheap a$$

I eat cats
    Free Agent sealed bearing BMX flats... With Emerica skate shoes that have an extra sticky sole. Hey, works for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Kid disguised as an adult
    Sidi Dominator Megas (I've got duck feet) and Shimano SPD's. Pretty standard stuff, but they're comfortable and they work.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm using Teva Links shoes and MG-1 magnesium platform pedals. The Links work great & I got them for $63 on Amazon. I couldn't pass that up. The MG-1 for the price I couldn't go wrong. All together I spent $110. I am happy

mtbr member
    XT M785 trail pedals, and Shimano 87G shoes.

This combo seems to work well for me, feet don't get too sweaty either. Riding is mostly intermediate/advanced trail. The larger platform on the trail version of the XT pedals makes a nice difference in finding the pedal again after clipping out.

mtbr member
    Crankbros 50/50 flats and either Columbia trail shoe or an old pair of Vans

mtbr member
    Shimano SPDs with shimano M089 shoes. The pedals because they are relatively cheap and universally available. I bend pedals too often hitting rocks.

I wear the shimano shoes because there are only two models of shoe that come in wide widths - a $300 sidi that is really a D width and the $120 shimano M089s that are an EE width. Too narrow and you will develop a neuroma between toes that starts out with a numbness and gets really bad. I got my neuromas from Scarpa T2 tele boots before the thermoformable liners came in.

I also use the shimano multiple release cleats instead of the single release cleats that come with the SPD pedals because I'm an old guy and don't want to break anything else.

mtbr member
    On my Gary Fisher Ferrous 29 (hardtail):
    Time ATAC w/ Northwave Rebel SBS
    They were both on sale - spent about $120 for the shoes and pedals together, both off of Chainlove. I tried easing myself into clipless via some soft soled Pearl Izumi's and a half platform half clipless Wellgo pedal, but that was NOT the way to go and will tell it from the mountain to anyone who is just getting into clipless. I wanted to go cheap, did some research, and was fortunate enough to find some great deals on the ATAC and Rebels. I use clipless on the hardtail because the terrain I ride on it makes it easier to take advantage of their benefits.

On my RIP9:
    Diety Decoy w/ 510 Freerider
    The Diety's aren't the lightest or thinnest on the market, but I found 'em for $50 and the pins are way sticky. The Freerider because of the simple lace up and 510's sticky as hell sole. Flats in general because I take more risks downhill with the RIP and appreciate the freedom. I can *almost* pedal as efficiently with this combo as with the clipless.

Michigan Wolverine
    I ride Time ATAC's with Sette Element shoes. My dad brought me up on Times when I raced BMX as a kid so they are what I was naturally pulled towards when I went pedal shopping. Pricepoint had a good package deal with the ATAC's and Sette shoes for $100 so that's what I went with.
    On the road I use Shimano 105's with Shimano R087 shoes.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Shimano M636's I have a set on my 29'er, my AM rig and my DH bike. Dang near bulletproof.

-E

Shimano M636 parts wanted......
    Last edited by EricD4; 12-25-2012 at 08:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Deity Compound Pedals with Fox Ando or Five Ten Freerider shoes. I use the Ando's for racing since it's a lighter shoe, but the Freeriders are a little more stickier.

I do have a set of Crank Brothers Eggbeater 3's and Bontrager shoes that are collecting dust. I figure I'll use this combo IF I ever get a road bike...
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    What pedals and shoes do you ride with and why?
    the pedals that came on my bike, and the shoes i had before i bought the bike.

the pedals are pinned platforms, but the pins aren't the cool replaceable kind.

the shoes would ideally be new balance 808ATs, but new balance quit making them years ago, so i am using 810s that are falling apart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Black label flats. Gas pedal I think. And 5.10 impacts.

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    Eggbeaters both road and mtb - they're light, clear mud well, *always* release when I want them to (not like my old look and shimano pedals), easy to service, and I've only dabbed them on rocks a few times.
    No real profile to them. Oh, and no "up" side for entry.

Shoes - Shimano MT22 for mtb because they were on sale for like $20, and Carnac shoes for road use because they fit like they were made for me.
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Crank Brothers Candy. I like that there is a bit of a platform, you can get in from either side, they're small and light, and they came with my bike. They're also pretty easy to get out of, but sometimes I fumble a bit getting in.

Shoes - Shimano MTB something or other - whatever was on sale at Jensen when I went in there looking for shoes. I don't spend a ton on shoes as I'm pretty hard on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Shimano XT PD-M785 Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro III. Have some eggbeaters also but with the softer Pearl Izumi's the XT's give better support.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Shimano m324 and shimano mt33. Just bought them today so have yet to try them. Bought the pedals so I have the option of clipless or flats

mtbr member
    3 sets of Time ATAC pedals and another set of the ATAC XS Titan in the mail from Chain love. Also run Time I-Clic pedals on my Road bike.
    Currently using Bontrager RXL shoes.

Review: Bontrager RXL Mountain Bike Shoes - Bike Rumor
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Time ATACs with Specialized Comps. Love the float and need the foot correction of the Specializeds.

mtbr member
    Pedals: Currently a pair of Funn Viper II's, although they are feeling pretty worn and crunchy so have a pair of DMR Vaults on the way.

Shoes: A couple of pairs of Fox Default's (One pair in black, one pair in bright blue depending on how stealth I want to be or if I feel like mixing and matching haha). Animal friendly, super grippy and pretty long lasting. When they eventually die I will look into either the Teva Links or a pair of Five Ten Impacts.

mtbr member

Times!

I've used times for about 15 years...hard to go wrong with them. Easy to rebuild and good mud clearance. Very tough against pedal strikes. I can't complain.
    Too wet to ride!

Raymond Donald Franklin
    DMR Vaults on my better bikes and cheapie plastics on my beater bike.

Been looking for a good deal on a pair of Teva Link Mids, but in the mean time, I've ridden with my steel toe work boots, $5 flip flops, and anything in between.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Flats: Wellgo MG1 and Teva Pinner shoes. I found the local trails in Colorado to be much more technical and rocky than the trails I rode in the Pac NW. I decided to give platforms a try to help with the extremely sudden dismounts I was experiencing in learning to negotiate the front range trails. Not wanting to spend an exorbitant amount of money in the move to new pedals and shoes, the Wellgos and Tevas fit the bill. They work well.

Clipless: Crank Bros Eggbeaters and Candies. For some reason, I never warmed up to the Shimano and VP SPD type pedals. I could never get them adjusted to my satisfaction to allow easy entry/exit. I noticed many of the local riders using the eggbeaters and decided to give them a try. They have worked well enough for me. For shoes, I have used a set of Shimano SH-M036 sport type of shoes. Again, they work for me. I have found that I do not necessarily need a cleat type shoe for the trails that I have been riding and prefer the comfort/practicality of a sport type shoe.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast