Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pedals

backwoods and backwards
    DH I run wellgo132/ Lotek mids
    On the trail I use shimano xt's / specialized tahoe. I always like shoes with laces instead of velcro or ratchet straps.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Eggbeaters and Candy 2's with Specialized Comp shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Time Atac....only way to go. Love them 3 bikes 3 sets of time ATAC.

mtbr member
    Time Atac for the past 8 years, including on the road bike.

Chamois Dropper
    Straitline Defactos, with Freeriders or Impacts. Stick like glue, big platform for my size 12 flippers.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Bontrager solstice shoes, mallet 2 pedals.

Bicycle Radical
    Time ATACs on both my road bike and MTB.

Keen Springwater shoes. I have super wide feet and these fit well.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    3" drywall screws through the top of my foot into a wooden pedal.

or ATACs and Sidi dom5's - same setup for road and mtn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Everyone that runs ATAC's, is there every any issues clipping in with them? I don't have any experience with them, but love how easy my SPD's engage every time without issue. It looks to me that they make take a little more "precise" position than SPD.

mtbr member
    No issues clipping into ATACs. Easy peasy.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ATACs are easier than SPD because of the lateral float.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Shimano somethingorothers
    Giro somethingorothers....

Sometimes 510 impacts and Forte pedals.

how long do SPD pedals last? i have the old school ones were the tension screw is external. the newer ones have an internal screw. i ask this because, i like the "feel" of the older ones better. the tension feels different, hard to describe. I only have two pairs. if they break, i wont be able to find them anymore because they've discontinued that design. i know it seems minor but i swear they release different! i hear SPuDs are pretty bombproof.
    fap

mtbr member
    Wellgo MG1s and my hiking shoes, because I'm a poor grad student...

Dinner for wolves
    Shoes: Adidas Sambas (the only sneakers I buy anymore)
    Pedals: Flats with straps. Currently Wellgo B030 and Burro straps, but HT Nano/Deity Compound with Fyxation straps work well too.

Basically, for my needs, this set up beats clipless and flats. I get the following benefits:
    1. Light weight (340gm/pair with Deity Compounds)
    2. Affordability (when my Sambas are looking tired, they get relegated to MTB use and I buy a new set)
    3. Durability.
    4. Huge platform - power transfer is fine despite the soft sole of the Sambas, because the pedal is ginormous. When I get off the bike and walk, I don't sound like a tap dancer.
    5. Thin platform - low CG
    6. Not too sticky, not too loose. I can disengage from the bike instantly, usually, so I go for broke with trail obstacles. My clipless pedals made me shy away from technical stunts - eff that. On the flip side, My 510s on grippy flats (Deity Compounds) are sometimes too sticky, and require a conscious effort to lift the foot and reposition it.
    7. The ability to pull up on the pedals as needed for short power climbs.
    8. Customizable traction pin layout. Thin the pins under the strap, keep the ones on the flip side for emergency traction.

I think the fixed gear freestyling hipsters are on to something with their pedal straps. I predict a pedal revolution for MTBers - flats and straps, you heard it here first.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    tioga spyder D pedals with clips and straps. Like that they are flat and light,good grip and they work with toe clips which i prefer, agree and think flats with some type of clip and or strap is really the way to go! easy in and out and you can move your foot around a bit
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I switch between flat pedals and clipless pedals, depending on the ride. If it's road riding, I go clipless mostly. If it's trail riding, I go with the flats, but have used the clipless on very easy trails though.

I have some old Cannondale shoes and clipless pedals I purchased about 10-15 or so years ago for the road bike that I never used. For some odd reason, I like the MTB pedals and shoes at that time. I now use the combo on my MTB. I love the shoes as I can wear them anytime and pedals are easy to clip in and out. I will have to take a picture of them, so they can be identified.

These are my flat pedals

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I use MG-1 pedals and 5.10 Impacts for my summer bike.

I use fyxation mesa MP pedals (nylon with metal pins) and some boots I found at Fleet Farm for my fatbike (winter).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've had MG-1's for awhile. I just recently found a pair of sneakers at Wal-Mart that work great. They're supposed to look like some expensive basketball shoes, I think, but they have a real soft, knobby sole, and they're black. They were on sale for $16! They work great. After a ride I can see where the pedal spikes were digging into the soles. I can tell I need to try clipless someday, but not yet.

Have fun.
    Jeff
    '12 Giant Talon 2
    '13 Giant Trance X1 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    Everyone that runs ATAC's, is there every any issues clipping in with them? I don't have any experience with them, but love how easy my SPD's engage every time without issue. It looks to me that they make take a little more "precise" position than SPD.
    I am very new to Time Atacs. I am also new to clipless, so I can't compare them to anything else but IMHO they are very easy to clip in. I use them with Sette shoes. I can begin pedalling without clipping and eventually my foot will find the right place and "snap" it's in. Now if I could only get to clip out as quickly. Not that they are difficult to clip out, just that it is new to me.

slow
    I use 1st generation Ritchey Logic clipless pedals on all my bikes (MTB, Commuter, SS, road bike, cruiser) because they were one of the only options when I went clipless in the early 90's. Because my shoes were already set up with the cleats, I kept putting the same pedals on bikes as I continued to add additional bikes to the stable. Now they are on all of my bikes and to change to another pedal at this point would be pricey.
    For shoes, I wear whatever I find cheap when the current pair breaks. Right now I'm riding a pair of Lake Carbon Race shoes I picked up for $10 on eBay. I got about 5 years and almost 10k miles out of the last pair of $15 Shimano SPD shoes I got on eBay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedals-pedals.jpg  

Dinner for wolves
    That coaster brake bike looks like a rolling grin factory. Sweet.
    Responds to gravity

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    That coaster brake bike looks like a rolling grin factory. Sweet.
    Yep. Here's a grin from a short track race last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedals-shorttrackrace.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    almost embarrassed to say this, but I'm still using a pair of Onza H.O. pedals that I bought about 18 years ago. Might have to retire them this year if I can't find my spare elastomers, cause the old ones are disintegrating. I got a new pair of Exustar shoes last year after my original, first generation Sidi Dominators bit the dust.

Master Shredder
    $35 Blacklabel gas pedals, Merrell Moab shoes. problem?
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Shimano something-or-other SPD I bought years and years ago
    Shimano shoes

Same for MTB and Road

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast