Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Up yer kilt!

No good Pearl Izumi = losers

Well, you know the economy is in the toilet when the customer service arm of a place like Pearl Izumi is willing to add insult to injury… and in a cowardly way as well.

Short story? Okay.

I buy a pair of their top 'o the line shorts (Microsensor 3D) back before last season and not 2 months in they come apart at the seam, the chamois starts to come out and they split where the stitches came out. Whoa!

Here I'm thinking: "$120 for a pair of shorts and they fail like a pair of $20 ones never would?" I'll take them back and see what they can do.

Did I buy them in Québec? No...I picked them up in Berkeley at REI. So I drop a line to Pearl asking what to do.
    "Take them to any of our retailers." They say. Cool.

I take them to the Canuck equivalent to REI: MEC.

They look at them and tell me they’ll “…send them back to their distributor and they will handle it.” Okay.

Today: I get a package from the distributor! New shorts!

Yes, a pair of their $60, bottom of the line Attack shorts.

Pearl Izumi has lost a customer for life… or two... or ten or… well, people who know me know that I ride hard but I don’t abuse my stuff (just my body) and my riding club up here is shocked actually. Seems they’re not to happy with the prices they have to pay and now have one more reason to drop Pearl from their list of clothing options.

I guess I’ll stick to Fox and Primal… at least their stuff lasts.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    That really, I mean really, stinks! Have you e-mailed PI and told them that's an unacceptable insult? And I was thinking of trying some PI shorts. I'll stick with my Volers, and you can tell them I said that. Speaking of which, Voler's Team shorts are on sale pretty cheap this month. Dunno what shipping is north of the border, though. It's www.velowear.com if you're interested.

Things thawing out up north yet?

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Upset

That suck, I guess you got a lemon? What is the time frame on this issue? Remember there is a person like you behind that company. So next time handle a issue like this in a mature manner and you might get a better result?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie America
    Well, you know the economy is in the toilet when the customer service arm of a place like Pearl Izumi is willing to add insult to injury… and in a cowardly way as well.

Short story? Okay.

I buy a pair of their top 'o the line shorts (Microsensor 3D) back before last season and not 2 months in they come apart at the seam, the chamois starts to come out and they split where the stitches came out. Whoa!

Here I'm thinking: "$120 for a pair of shorts and they fail like a pair of $20 ones never would?" I'll take them back and see what they can do.

Did I buy them in Québec? No...I picked them up in Berkeley at REI. So I drop a line to Pearl asking what to do.
    "Take them to any of our retailers." They say. Cool.

I take them to the Canuck equivalent to REI: MEC.

They look at them and tell me they’ll “…send them back to their distributor and they will handle it.” Okay.

Yes, a pair of their $60, bottom of the line Attack shorts.

Pearl Izumi has lost a customer for life… or two... or ten or… well, people who know me know that I ride hard but I don’t abuse my stuff (just my body) and my riding club up here is shocked actually. Seems they’re not to happy with the prices they have to pay and now have one more reason to drop Pearl from their list of clothing options.

Up yer kilt!

So I guess...

...I missed the part where I handled this in an immature way?

I asked Pearl first, they sent me to MEC, who sent my shorts (with Pearl's e-mail) to the Canadian distributor who didn't send me a letter... didn't call me (they had both my phone number and my e-mail). They did send me a pair of shorts that are not replacements... but shorts that are half the value (and I do know what manufaturing environments are like, especially textiles and it costs Pearl about $20 to make the shorts they sell for $120).

So from my point of view, I was the one treated poorly and now I'm trying to help my friends here aviod the same issues I went through.

Nes pas?

Kearsarge crawler

I asked Pearl first, they sent me to MEC, who sent my shorts (with Pearl's e-mail) to the Canadian distributor who didn't send me a letter... didn't call me (they had both my phone number and my e-mail). They did send me a pair of shorts that are not replacements... but shorts that are half the value (and I do know what manufaturing environments are like, especially textiles and it costs Pearl about $20 to make the shorts they sell for $120).

So from my point of view, I was the one treated poorly and now I'm trying to help my friends here aviod the same issues I went through.

Nes pas?
    Looks to me like you handled it the right way. Too bad the end result was poor.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Unless I missed something, did you contact the MEC or the distributer to insure it was not a mix up? If you did, OK, but don't slander a company if you aren't sure it was not just some mistake somewhere along the line.

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhoo
    Unless I missed something, did you contact the MEC or the distributer to insure it was not a mix up? If you did, OK, but don't slander a company if you aren't sure it was not just some mistake somewhere along the line.
    Good point.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Really. Just call them up and tell them they sent you the wrong shorts. They'll probably replace them and let you keep the cheap ones too - just tell them you wore them.

T

Part-time rider

Attack shorts

Btw, the so-called "bottom of the line" Attack shorts aren't bad at all. Actually, they're my favorite pair of shorts -- been treating my ass great for last three years.

If Pearl Izumi truely refuses to give you a replacement pair of $120 short, then at least you'll have something that lasts longer than 2 months.

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

Ride what you want!!
    From the sound of it, it looks like you couldn't go through REI, but they would have just swapped them out on the spot.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Sweat is just fat crying.

My thoughts, too.

Grow up. And put on some damn pants, wouldja?

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 04-08-2004 at 07:43 AM. Reason: It's 'n'est pas', n'est pas? And I flunked French. Sheesh.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom)
    Really. Just call them up and tell them they sent you the wrong shorts. They'll probably replace them and let you keep the cheap ones too - just tell them you wore them.

T
    I'd give PI a call and be reasonable, factual, and nice. There were people between you and them and I'd bet that there was not one guy at the distributor who took the old pair out of the box and put a new cheaper pair in. Sure there was a screw up but do you really think they'd just stiff you out of $60 MSRP of merchandise? Be nice and they should take care of you. If the person who answers the phone doesn't handle it then get their manager.

You could end up one pair of shorts in the bonus and happy OR a cheaper pair and $60 in the hole plus upset every time you see someone wearing PI on the trail.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Probably drunk right now

And Of Course...

Nes pas?
    You called them for clarification and to ensure that someone didn't put your shorts in the box right next to yours by mistake before you posted on every MB you could, right?

Ken

Jed Peters
    Yes, you did.

That part is posting this to an internet message board before fully investigating all possible remedies with Pearl Izumi.

jl
    climb

Story not finished

Charlie,

It sounds like your story is not finished. Have you called Pearl Izumi and told them that your Micro's were replaced with Attacks? And what you can do about it?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My experience....

I have been using Microsensors with the blue chamois for awhile and never had a problem. I bought 3 more for the World solo Championships last year, these had the yellow chamois. I wore a hole in all 3 during that race. My bike is the same, my seat is the same, my position is the same, so why?

I sent them back to where I bought them, but so far no answer.

Still riding Microsensors, but the blue ones from a couple years ago.

No relation
    I'm still using PI shorts I bought 12 years ago, and they look like new. Well, except for the pair I used as crash protection. They still look like new except for the hole.
    Likewise a jacket from PI that's about the same age, that I just replaced the zipper in. Guess what - it looks brand new!
    SOrry you received the Attacks, but I have a feeling you'll end up with the $60 shorts and the $120 ones once you talk to PI.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

mtbr member

Talk about a Nasty Job.....

That has got to be one of the worst jobs though - Being the dude that receives peoples used shorts that have flaws.

did you wash the shorts before you sent them back? Perhaps it was a disgruntled employee that did not appreciate sweaty shorts!

Seriously though, sounds like you dealt with it fine. I would stil do a follow up call, and if they do remedy the problem come back here, and post a full report on the situation.

If they tell you to go to h@ll then come back here and we can flame em!

TJ

life is a barrel o'fun

take it from a customer relations rep...

......not that we need to tell you! But being humble, factual and calm goes a LONG way! Don't get all hot and bothered until it's your tenth call and you still haven't gotten results- then, we'd understand totally.

Sure, rude people get results, but they also end up getting stuck on hold a little longer And they only get results if they've got their ducks in a row, not simply due to their squeaky-wheel mentality.

Sounds like you have a good case, they should do right by you based on the facts.

mtbr member

Like some others have stated, I don't think this story is finished.

Seems like you gave up way too early. Sure you called PI, had MEC send it back for you and then received what you and I both believe was not of equal value. But, here is where you and I differ. You post on an internet forum how pissed you are with this company for the crappy product and customer service they provide. I would've simply called PI and told them of what I believe is an error on their part. I'm sure they would have owned up to it and get you the correct replacement shorts ASAP. Heck, maybe they would've told you to keep the other shorts for your troubles.

Now if after 10 calls and no results, and only after that, I would then complain and whine here. And only on one forum, not 2 or 3 on the same website. I had a problem with some items my wife had ordered from Pottery Barn. We ordered a set of monogrammed napkins and a monogrammed table runner for a friend's wedding gift. When it arrived, the stitching for the monogram had gatherd some of the material on some of the napkins. I called to let them know of the problem and they said to keep the ones I have and they would send replacements. The replacements they sent weren't monogrammed so I had to call back. Keep those too they said and they would send the napkins again. Although it took a few trys to get the right product, I'm happy with the results and will continue to deal with PB.

Treating the customer service reps and the company they represent the same way you wish to be treated goes a long way!!

James
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

ride

facts

Yes, a pair of their $60, bottom of the line Attack shorts
    Wow - sounds like something went wrong somewhere. First, since all PI stuff in Canada is handled thru a distributor, warranty must go thru the distributor as well. Since you bought the shorts there, REI could have handled the warranty, too, if you'd have sent it to them. When you called PI USA, did you mention that you bought them in the US?

Regardless, sounds like it was a simple mistake. PI has a lifetime warranty for things like seams and general workmanship - anything that's not wear related. If you've worn or washed the Attacks, you're out of luck. Otherwise, start with MEC. If they've kept good enough records, they'll know you brought in Microsensors. They should be able to swap you out. If they truly did get the Attacks from the distributor, have MEC make it right with the distributor (something they should have done in the first place).

Please post back the results of your efforts. I think we're all curious to see what the final outcome will be. If you're still out a pair of Microsensors in the end, call PI USA. I'm sure they'd be interested to hear how their Canadian distributor is handling warranties.

As an aside, the Quest is the "bottom of the line," but it'll still go head to head with about anything else on the market...
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Flowtronic engineer

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    From the sound of it, it looks like you couldn't go through REI, but they would have just swapped them out on the spot.

george
    Yep. REI = Return Everything Incorporated.
    God bless em.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

Part-time rider

Good job! Update

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Please post back the results of your efforts. I think we're all curious to see what the final outcome will be.
    Was just browsing Road forum, and it appears that this whole thing was just a mix up. So my fellow PI fans -- they still do care about us =)

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

contains quinine
    Charlie America posts a thread "Pearl Izumi = losers" before getting to the bottom of his issue, which sounds like an honest mistake on the part of Pearl's distributer. if i was in the bike industry, i'd go out of my way to NOT do business with this guy...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Sweat is just fat crying.

And, to make matters worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Charlie America posts a thread "Pearl Izumi = losers" before getting to the bottom of his issue, which sounds like an honest mistake on the part of Pearl's distributer. if i was in the bike industry, i'd go out of my way to NOT do business with this guy...
    He posted about it in three or four forums (no, I don't stutter).

He's made a response that I saw on the road bike forum, but no attempt in here to reply to anyone.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast