CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Patterson Mountain Work and Play Passion

Cross post from our regional forum, some pics from our last trail work day. Part of the RIMBA (Roanoke IMBA) ongoing effort to reopen an essentially abandoned trail system dubbed the Patterson Creek Trail System.

Yesterday we had a scheduled trail work day. 70ish weather forecast and Christmas season in full swing volunteers were scarce. We almost cancelled to ride. So we decided to have a ride / work day. Turned out to be a hard ride, but good – better than rebenching trail with a 2 person trail crew or brushing out trail, our other two awaiting projects.

Kapusta climbing Tucker Trail

One of the chores of the day was installing blaze markers

The climb to the top of Patterson Mountain is brutal by any route. This trail system is one of the most physically demanding that I have been on, brought to us by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) 70 or so years ago. I think those guys would get a kick out of us riding bicycles on them.

Remnants of trail signs installed long ago

The rest of our work day was riding, brushing out and blazing on Patterson Mountain trail

Finishing up with the ride out Elmore trail, which was much fun

Merry Christmas to all - CCR

Gnarly
    Good riding CCR! You are lucky that it 's still dry and trails are rideable this time of year, thanks for sharing
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Easy to see how you could lose your trail in the leaves. Pat on the back for giving back to your trails.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Good riding CCR! You are lucky that it 's still dry and trails are rideable this time of year, thanks for sharing
    Thanks! Except for usually brief periods of snow and ice we ride year around, at least those of us that are a little 'touched in the head".

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Easy to see how you could lose your trail in the leaves. Pat on the back for giving back to your trails.
    Thanks June Bug, i enjoy doing trail work. If it wasn't for that stupid job I am required to have I would do a lot more.

Leaf down season is my least favorite time to ride, down right treacherous if it is rocky. Trails are finally getting 'burnt' in now and it is not too bad.