Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Witty McWitterson

Passionate Photogs! Need advice!

I've got a nice chunk of spending $$$(sold a bike) and I want to buy a Dslr---finally---. I've been watching ebay and I think that's where I'll do the deed.I'm an amature, that's for sure, but I want to pick up some good skills at this photography thing. I think I've got a pretty good eye for the subject sooo, I'm gonna give it a go w/some nice equipment. Keep that right there in mind. My question is, I've got roughly $700 to play with.

I've narrowed the purchase down to two cameras. A Nikon D50 or a D70. The D50 I'd get new w/kit lense and maybe a 70-300 if the right sale pops up. the D70 would most likely be used, but those are still fetching over 7 bills. At my experience level(rookie, remember?), would the D50 be able to grow with me? Or do I hold out for a decently priced D70?
    Just a regular guy.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    have you posted this question over in PhotographyREVIEW.com??
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Witty McWitterson
    Prior to the D50 coming out, i have. I'm looking for MTBr experience though as it will be used for biking hsots as well as landscapes and such.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I don't know much about the D50, but the D70 is a really good camera. I'm not super familiar with Nikon at all, but I did use one a few times, and it takes great pics.

Not entirely related to the question, but... when I was about to get a new camera I was worried about going with a DSLR and a different brand over a P&S and a brand that I knew really well. Both cameras were about evenly priced. I regret not getting the better camera, because now I have a P&S, which works great, but isn't a DSLR. So, unless you find a great deal, or really just want a camera now, I'd say maybe wait a bit and see if a good sale comes up. But, you may also have a hard time finding the D70 for that cheap as well.

mtbr member
    $700= helmet cam with HD storage! Takes stills too.

Cyclist

d50

I'm currently saving up for a d70s but I'm considering getting the d50.
    Why do I want a d70s and not the 50? The biggest reason is my CF card is not compatible with the 50 (it uses SD). It also has a couple other features that the 50 doesn't have, the biggest being 1/4000 versus the 1/8000th shutter speeds. The 70 feels a little better in the hand and has the solid feel, while the 50 seems ever so slightly different. Another reason I'm leaning towards the 70 is the controls are similar to my film N80. The 50 has one dial where the 70 has two (like my n80) and I wouldn't have to relearn the dials so much.

The differences are petty for me, so I suggest getting the 50. It's darn near a 70 already.

The d50 is a great camera and I suggest getting it for your first good SLR. It will do many tasks well. Remember, they don't ship with memory, you have to buy it extra.

Word of caution on buying a camera from ebay. It is rife with con men, especially the cameras. Many cameras sold as new on ebay don't have a warranty valid in the US. It's called a grey market camera. They also sometimes just sell the camera, and not the charger etc... Just be careful.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._d70s&show=all
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    I'm currently saving up for a d70s but I'm considering getting the d50.
    Why do I want a d70s and not the 50? The biggest reason is my CF card is not compatible with the 50 (it uses SD).
    Don't know that the compatability of media is what I'd be worried about, more that I prefer CF media - more options available IMHO.

It also has a couple other features that the 50 doesn't have, the biggest being 1/4000 versus the 1/8000th shutter speeds.
    Oh yeh that's something huge, I always use 1/8000th shutter speed Seriously, have you ever used a shutter speed over 2,000th ? I know I never have, especially not when shooting action sports or else you just stuff that looks like it was posed - you need action/movement in the wheels/arms or legs to imply the motion/speed of whatever you're photographing.

As for the camera the D50 seems to be a decent camera on paper, but if it were me (I chose the D70s over the D2* 'cause the price diff wasn't a mere $200 it was almost 2k + diff) I'd wait for a D70s - AND not off Ebay since as mentioned you can get easily ripped off.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Hey, wait up!

Me 2

I'm also thinking about a nice DSLR. I already have a Nikon F-100 SLR and lenses, so I'm thinking between the D50 and D70 since the lenses should match up.

What I've read in the mags indicates the D50 has some tech applications that are more refined than the D70 and that the D70 has some features that are not on the D50. For general bike shots, it looks like the D50 would be more than adequate.

My question however is: My Sony Cybershot has this maddening habit of pausing significantly between pushing the button and taking the shot. I've not seen a clear answer as to whether a DSLR such as the D50 or D70 has an instantaneous release of the "shutter" when you push the button. I would appreciate any real world report on this question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I've got a nice chunk of spending $$$(sold a bike) and I want to buy a Dslr---finally---. I've been watching ebay and I think that's where I'll do the deed.
    JMHO, but anyone who buys expensive electronics off of EBAY is criminally insane. You have absolutely no idea of how the camera was treated. Also because of the time decay value inherent in electronics, many supposed great buys are anything but that, with prices falling all of the time. Add in the fact that it may not have a warrantly......see where I am going with this?

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    My question however is: My Sony Cybershot has this maddening habit of pausing significantly between pushing the button and taking the shot. I've not seen a clear answer as to whether a DSLR such as the D50 or D70 has an instantaneous release of the "shutter" when you push the button. I would appreciate any real world report on this question.
    I can only answer for the D70s and say that there is a very miniscule delay, definitely not as fast as the F100 (which I also own). Also another thing the 3 FPS advertised is more like 2.5 FPS, and when actually trying to use it it seems like 1-2 FPS. I'm personally thinking already (got the D70s in Sept) of getting a D200 w/ 5 FPS and some other features, as using the D70s for sequential shooting when you're accustomed to real 5 FPS of the F100 is a bit maddening.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a D50, it is my first DSLR and one feature the the D70s has that I do miss is the backlit info LCD on top of the camera. I have had autofocus issues, first camera I got would not autofocus at all, they replaced it and occasionally the new one gets really finicky about focusing and can be frustrating. I do suggest getting one of the Speedlight flashes for it, I got the SB 600 and it makes a world of differences in your shots.

Witty McWitterson
    Thanks all for the advice! I hear ya about the crooks out there too. I generally wouldn't buy electronics from private parties, but in the cases where I have(GPS and PDA), the items in question were delivered fine and worked as advertised. Yes, gambling, but I'm not one to look so pessimistically on society. I'm not naive though either.

Something like this camera, I'll only buy from shops. And that's what I did. Cord Camera and the D50. Looked over thier website and they've gotten pretty good reviews. Mainly what I was after was the extended warranty. And that I got. I'm not so concerned w/memory. I know it doesn't come w/the camera. Besides. Its sooper cheap these days. I wanted CF, but to get that, I'd have to wait for a D70 to show up used, and buy from a private seller. Something this expensive, I don't think I'd go that way.

I did go into the local Best Buy today and played w/a D50 they had on the floor. Felt good in the hand, seemed pretty intuitive to get aroundmanus and such. Since they're roughtly in the same league I picked up a a 350D too. Felt cheap and plasticy in comparison. And too small for my hands. Didn't like it all. I also looked at the 20D. THAT was a nice shooter. The FPS was much higher than any other camera I looked at. Impressive. It too felt good to hold.

I'll post shots and such once I get it!
    Just a regular guy.

Young, Shawn Young
    I have a D50 that I use for mountain biking. Using the straps on my Hawg Camelbak and the camera bag I secure it pretty well to the top of the bag. Its my first dslr and Im learning as I go. Im using the 18-70 nikor lens but If the 80-200 VR lens would have been out at the time I would have purchased that instead. That said I love this camera and Im just scratching the surface of what it can do for now. Samples here: http://bigfoot.smugmug.com/gallery/715008/1/31264451

Theres a couple other galleries in there as well of Fruita, Flagstaff, local Cowbot trails. Take a look.

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

AlexIsFubar
    Dec 2005
    i've been in photography for over 5 years. D50 with an 70-300mm? bad idea. at least 4 your purposes (bike shots). unless u want to use in general. anyway, the 70-300 is a powerful zoom lens (i got it on my film F80) with big range of action. BUT - while on a trail, even working at 70mm, is too much! better begin with a lens covering the 24 - 70 or 80mm range,it's ideal for your purposes and skills. anything above 100mm would be useful for shooting subjects as far as 500 ft !!! the D50 is a very good DSLR, which will serve you well for at least 5 years under all conditions. hope i helped...

Complete Bastard
    I shot nikon equipment professionally for several years as an advertising and public relations photographer and loved their pro stuff (D1x and F100). If you already own nikon lenses, that's how I would go. If you don't, then I'd buy canon. Their consumer offerings are a bit better than nikon and it seems that nikon is constantly playing catchup with canon. Just my professional opinion. I still shoot older nikon pro bodies myself. F3 and F4.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by alexisfubar
    i've been in photography for over 5 years. D50 with an 70-300mm? bad idea. at least 4 your purposes (bike shots). unless u want to use in general. anyway, the 70-300 is a powerful zoom lens (i got it on my film F80) with big range of action. BUT - while on a trail, even working at 70mm, is too much! better begin with a lens covering the 24 - 70 or 80mm range,it's ideal for your purposes and skills. anything above 100mm would be useful for shooting subjects as far as 500 ft !!! the D50 is a very good DSLR, which will serve you well for at least 5 years under all conditions. hope i helped...
    My bad on that, its 18-200VR. Its just coming out and is as hot a lens as there is right now

Witty McWitterson
    I've held a few canon's, and they're just uncomfortable in my hands. The body/handle is just too small for my big hands. I can't find biking gloves that fit to save my life either(use construction gloves for riding)!
    Just a regular guy.

AlexIsFubar
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    My bad on that, its 18-200VR. Its just coming out and is as hot a lens as there is right now
    well,the thing is...the VR 18-200 is not supported by the D50 or the D70. i think it's only for the D200

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by alexisfubar
    well,the thing is...the VR 18-200 is not supported by the D50 or the D70. i think it's only for the D200
    Thats simply not true. But it is a bit heavier from what Ive read. I love the 18-70 lens for most applications(for what my shooting style is). To each their own.

ps- you can find numerous peeps shooting the 18-200 on D70s' on Dpreview.
    Last edited by Redmon; 12-30-2005 at 04:22 PM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Camera bodies will come and go, but lenses will generally remain with you far longer. The D50 is fine for a starter DSLR.

If you are going to invest is camera gear, lenses are where it's at. A great lens on a mediocre camera will yield better results in most conditions than a mediocre lens on a great camera. If you are happy with the results from your point and shoot and really only want enhanced performance, then mediocre lenses may be all you want. If you are expecting significantly improved output, then be prepared to shell out for excellent lenses. That said, there are some excellent lenses that don't cost an arm and a leg, but you have to do your homework to know what they are.

Even though I have been a Canon shooter for many years and have no inclination to switch, I agree with you regarding the ergonomics of the Canon 350 XT. It's just too small without a grip. My pinkie was left hanging in space and I just didn't care for it.

You will find the shutter lag much more to your liking with a DSLR.

The D50 should be great for you IF you take the time to learn to use it properly. If you don't get great results right away, don't blame the gear. Look into the mirror to see the problem.

Congrats and looking forward to seeing some pics from your new rig.

Regards,
    Jeff

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have to agree with the above post: I've always been a proponent of buying the best glass you can afford then buy the best camera body to go with it.

I own a D70 and my cousin owns a 20D. When he got it I kept telling him that he should buy Nikon because he has had Nikon equipment in the past but he no longer owns anything Nikon (except for a digital P.S.) so his decision to go Canon was based on the magazine write-ups and the megapixel count. The thing is he called me the other night asking if I liked the image quality from my D70 and the 18-70 lens. Absolutely! When I asked him why he was asking me this he answered that he thought he was doing something wrong with his camera until he spent a boatload of money on a high-end zoom lens and realised that his problems stemmed from both the kit lens (18-55) and the other zoom he bought for his camera (not sure what it was but it was the cheapest lens made by Canon).

My other lenses are old fixed focal Nikkors from back in the early 70s that will only work in fully manual non-metered mode on the D70 (they work great on my old FE-2). This is not a problem because digital allows me to hunt for the correct exposure and I use this equipment for macro purposes on the digital domain anyway.
    Last edited by PCC; 12-30-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Mouse's Mom
    Canon!!!!! 10D is a great starter camera if you're shooting sports in good light. There is a lot of noise in low light situations shooting at 1600, though. If you want to spend more money, get the 20D. The quality is unbelievable. If you want to see for yourself, go to my site www.JodyGomez.com and check out my shots. All shot with 20D except the jr bullriding, which was shot with the 10D.

I won't shoot anything but Canon.

Just my two cents.

PhotoMom

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I've got a nice chunk of spending $$$(sold a bike) and I want to buy a Dslr---finally---. I've been watching ebay and I think that's where I'll do the deed.I'm an amature, that's for sure, but I want to pick up some good skills at this photography thing. I think I've got a pretty good eye for the subject sooo, I'm gonna give it a go w/some nice equipment. Keep that right there in mind. My question is, I've got roughly $700 to play with.

I've narrowed the purchase down to two cameras. A Nikon D50 or a D70. The D50 I'd get new w/kit lense and maybe a 70-300 if the right sale pops up. the D70 would most likely be used, but those are still fetching over 7 bills. At my experience level(rookie, remember?), would the D50 be able to grow with me? Or do I hold out for a decently priced D70?
    http://www.JodyGomez.com Someone please teach me to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    If you start a race confident you'll podium, you're a sandbagger.

mtbr member

Olympus EVolt E-300 ??

Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about digital slr cameras. However, I have been interested in them and have been doing a bit of research. Anyhoo, you might take a look at the Olympus EVolt E-300. Retails for $799 and was rated tops by PC World, FWIW.

Anyone have any experience with this camera?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about digital slr cameras. However, I have been interested in them and have been doing a bit of research. Anyhoo, you might take a look at the Olympus EVolt E-300. Retails for $799 and was rated tops by PC World, FWIW.

Anyone have any experience with this camera?
    The E-300 has been out since 9-04 which is kind of long in the tooth for digital cameras and has been replaced by the E-500.

Here is a review of the E-300 from dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/

or you can go straight to the summary:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page29.asp

Especially if you are a "contrarian" type and want to have something other than Canon or Nikon, the newer E-500 may be worth a look (as low as $619 from buydig), but I would pass on the E-300 at this time. The biggest issues I would have about not going with either Canon or Nikon would be the smaller choice of available lenses (and other accessories too) and the resale value of that entire system down the road. But it does appear to be a decent system.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

Regards,

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    $700= helmet cam with HD storage! Takes stills too.
    The crappiest stills possible. A digital video camera can't replace a good still camera. And the best digital camera with video can't replace a real video camera.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast