Can't we all just ride?

Passion snuffed out

The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Humpmaster general
    And that my friends is why we don't go to places where the Islamic State exists.

They have vowed to kill non-believers.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass View Post
    And that my friends is why we don't go to places where the Islamic State exists.

They have vowed to kill non-believers.
    Or to open air concerts in Las Vegas, or high schools in the US?

mtbr member
    There is a difference between a widespread ideology that celebrates the violent murder of innocents and isolated acts by unrelated deranged individuals.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Also, as a westerner in a country with ISIL, outside of a protected area (such as a military base) your odds of being attacked are a lot higher than attending an open air concert or high school in the US.

How many millions of Americans attend high schools and concerts annually in the US? Vs how many murders at those events? The rate is minuscule. (Yes any rate above 0 is horrible, but we are comparing two situations here)

How many westerners go to this countries other than military on bases? And how many are attacked? The rate is pretty damn high.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure on the widespread ideology other than my TV but certainly this could happen anywhere.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Or to open air concerts in Las Vegas, or high schools in the US?
    Yes. These places are exactly like areas of Tajikistan with a high concentration of ISIS sympathisers! I never go to concerts or high schools because of my overwhelming fear of mass murders.

A more appropriate comparison to places like Tajikistan would be areas in Downtown Chicago. I REALLY wouldn't go there.

All fat, all the time.
    That is terrible for the folks that were killed.

There are plenty of sh#$holes around the world that I would choose not to visit. Not worth the risk.

There are too many wonderful beautiful places to ride a bike... Where the odds of this are much much lower.

Barely in control
    If the Western world took some time to study Islam, they would not be so surprised when they encounter the people who read the Koran (and the rest) and take it seriously.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    That is terrible for the folks that were killed.

There are plenty of sh#$holes around the world that I would choose not to visit. Not worth the risk.

There are too many wonderful beautiful places to ride a bike... Where the odds of this are much much lower.
    My thoughts exactly. Why choose such a place to go when there are tranquil beautiful areas of the world to explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    I agree as well. Yes I can fall of my bed and die, but traveling to these places is adding a lot to the risk factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Why choose such a place to go when there are tranquil beautiful areas of the world to explore.
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    just get a bike and ride!

Can't we all just ride?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    If the Western world took some time to study Islam, they would not be so surprised when they encounter the people who read the Koran (and the rest) and take it seriously.
    I think the boundries of passion frequently overwhelm our capacity for common sense. Not just in travelling to dangerous places, but in engaging in dangerous behaviors in general. The guy I used to rock climb with said "only two types of climbers ever fall - the novice who lacks knowledge and the expert who lacks caution." I've been a lot of places that were not "safe" due to my work but I try to avoid them when I'm traveling on my own dime. When my family went to Croatia two years ago you could barely tell they'd had a fairly recent war and we felt really safe. During that vacation Germany had a shooting incident and France had a guy drive into a crowd and Kill 84 people. Sometimes you can't predict where things will be safe, but as a rule, I think there are places to avoid until their culture changes.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Show me evidence that this incident is anything other than isolated in that country?

It happened, and it sucks. But I still think when you look at the total number of incidents in Tajikistan over the last 50 years it's *much* safer to ride there than in pretty much any big city in the US.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Show me evidence that this incident is anything other than isolated in that country?

It happened, and it sucks. But I still think when you look at the total number of incidents in Tajikistan over the last 50 years it's *much* safer to ride there than in pretty much any big city in the US.
    I think your chances of trouble increase, especially if you are from the other side of the pond.

There is a reason for "travel advisories" from the Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I think there are places to avoid until their culture changes.

I have a good friend touring in Tajikistan right now. He has been sending text updates to us unlucky schlubs back here at work. Daily he has been overwhelmed with kindness from outgoing strangers. He has had to alter his route because when he passes through villages everyone is so friendly, so interested in him, that they all want him to come have tea and stay the night. And then have tea the next day. He hasn't been able to make much progress because of these situations -- no one wants him to leave.

I avoid riding in cities and even on most of my local roads because the (car) culture is so fuct. What happened in Tajikistan was a tragic isolated incident. Avoiding that country based on this incident is faulty logic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have a good friend touring in Tajikistan right now. He has been sending text updates to us unlucky schlubs back here at work. Daily he has been overwhelmed with kindness from outgoing strangers. He has had to alter his route because when he passes through villages everyone is so friendly, so interested in him, that they all want him to come have tea and stay the night. And then have tea the next day. He hasn't been able to make much progress because of these situations -- no one wants him to leave.

I avoid riding in cities and even on most of my local roads because the (car) culture is so fuct. What happened in Tajikistan was a tragic isolated incident. Avoiding that country based on this incident is faulty logic.
    Unfortunately there is often a disconnect between the culture of the majority, and the threat level in the area. For example. Most of the Afghans I met on my tour there were just like what you describe. Same in some of the most war torn places in Africa. Same in the Iraq/Turkey/Syria area, same in El Salvador. But I would not go back to those places other than on official duty right now. It is the same in the parts of Mexico that are ravaged by cartels, most of the people are wonderful, but there is still a high threat.

mtbr member

The total number of these incidents that took place in Tajikistan over the last 50 years is low because almost no one is stupid enough to go there and ride, not because it's safe!
    The number of people attacked by sharks - while swimming in the Indian Ocean, wrapped in bloody steaks - is low, too. Maybe it's never happened. It's still a really stupid idea!

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    The total number of these incidents that took place in Tajikistan over the last 50 years is low because almost no one is stupid enough to go there and ride, not because it's safe!
    The number of people attacked by sharks - while swimming in the Indian Ocean, wrapped in bloody steaks - is low, too. Maybe it's never happened. It's still a really stupid idea!
    +1

You choose the fear-mongering route, I'll go the other way.

mtbr member
    You choose the fear-mongering route, I'll go the other way.
    Yeah. I'm afraid of doing really stupid things. You go the other way.
    Being an idiot is not "taking the high road".

Yeah. I'm afraid of doing really stupid things. You go the other way.
    Being an idiot is not "taking the high road".

Easy on the name calling, slugger.

We all have different tolerances for risk. Some people are fine with jumping out of airplanes, or living in bad areas of Chicago. I am not. Doesn't make them idiots, nor would I call them such.

mtbr member
    Looks like msn doesn't think this is something they should keep posted. The link goes nowhere now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    There is a difference between a widespread ideology that celebrates the violent murder of innocents and isolated acts by unrelated deranged individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Do the math.
    OK, just did. You are 8,796,321 time more likely to get killed by an American psycho than a Taliban psycho.