High Desert MTBer

Passion Killed! (a temporary thing I hope)

I definitely brought it on myself when I answered the 'How many bikes do you need' thread and said 2 similar, as then you always have one to ride if one broke down. My Lefty on the C'dale blew its seal again a couple of weeks ago, and it just went in for its 4th rebuild in under 2 years, and I was left with the (slightly poorly) Salsa, which badly needed some TLC on the shock and forks. It also had some ominous creaks coming from the pivots, and the rear mech was worn on the inner plate so much that it needed a new one to stop the chain skipping off the pulley wheel. I patched that up with some tape to keep the chain on, and have another used XTR mech from ebay which arrived this morning from England... I thought I was gonna be OK!

Last week I collected the bearings I needed for the pivots, (the old ones were toast), got a new pivot kit online, and replaced all of them, which made it plusher, but still creaked. When I took the rear shock off, the bushings were a bit worn, and the Propedal has quit, along with an oil weep, but it still worked OK otherwise. I figured it would hold up til the Lefty got back at least, and in the meantime I got a great deal on a slightly used RP2 on ebay. That wont be here til after the weekend tho.

This morning tho, the fork blew its top, spat its oily dummy all down the stanchion, but luckily after I had got down the steep rocky downhill and was on the road down to my house. Interesting geometry change on the last mile or so! I just dropped that at my LBS, but now it looks like I am bikeless for the weekend, and next week I go away on a job for a couple of weeks... Goshdarnit!

Talk about a passion killer. The only upside is that I might get around to stripping the old Bontrager frame down, and starting that rebuild...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Passion is what connects the rides, rockerc. This post is rife with it. Nothing is dead. Rock on

High Desert MTBer
    I have to say, I really love working on the bikes as much as I am able myself. It gives me huge satisfaction completing a project I have never done before.
    It's all Here. Now.

Yappy little dog!
    We have lots of local bike shops that rent bikes. Passion is worth the $50. If you don't have that, maybe there is a local demo program.

Edit... I see you are in Tuscon. Dude, rent a bike and go have fun.