Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.

Didn't see a thread like this and I know we all have them. So if I missed it because I smacked my head too hard, please guide me to the right thread.

If not, and there is not one, well let this be the official post!

Here's my most recent flub; during a nice climb my front derraleur had come out of adjustment and pushed the chain off the big ring under full torque. Slid forward and railed the stem with my gut...

Don't worry, I crash quite a bit so I will have plenty more pics. in the coming months...

mtbr member
    Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-photo-2%5B1%5D.jpg
    OTB in a rock garden last week. 6 stitches on the inside, 10 outside. I hear that chicks dig scars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Similar thing happened to me and taught me a valuable lesson about listening to your bike - weird noises usually mean something is wrong. My chain did exactly what yours did but I ended up OTB and taking the bar end HARD into my inner thigh...

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-ouch.jpg

dwt
    mtbr member

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.

Remember: an injury is something that prevents you from riding. Everything else is merely an inconvenience
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Merendon Junkie
    I got this nasty road rash sprinting to the chinese restaurant after an mtb ride. A riding buddy clipped my handlebars. He didnt notice the group had slowed down and kept on sprinting. We were a block away from the chinese joint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-img_1258c.jpg  

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-img_1267.jpg  

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-img_1260c.jpg  

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-img_1275.jpg  

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    I got this nasty road rash sprinting to the chinese restaurant after an mtb ride. A riding buddy clipped my handlebars. He didnt notice the group had slowed down and kept on sprinting. We were a block away from the chinese joint.
    What did you end up getting? I usually get the #7.

Merendon Junkie
    Number 4, spicy boiled wantan.

I dont know why the other pictures arent showing.

This is the elbow on that sprint to the chinese joint crash. 10 stitches to the elbow that in the end did very little to help make the skin and flesh get back together nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-img_1258c2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice pics. of the carnage peeps! Keep them coming! O and speedy recovery to all of you with "inconveniences".

26 for life.

These were in my ankle for a week before the doctor found them with ultrasound.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post

These were in my ankle for a week before the doctor found them with ultrasound.
    You needed ultrasound to find those

Here's mine (from a little while ago though) - otb and pedal pins got my arm, which was protecting my face, so could have been much worse!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-dsc_0064-large-.jpg  

I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    DAMN! I was hoping for ultrasound and removal pictures.... Sick I know! The damn bruise I posted on my stmach is really ugly but thankfully the roadrash on my arm is pretty much healed. I should post a picture of the scab that came off in one piece, pretty sizable!

mtbr member
    Nothing serious, but desk surgery is always fun!

Got spiked by the pedal during a decent crash.

The spike hole just would not heal up.

After about a month, I decided there had to be something in there, so used my Pocketweez to dig the little chunk of rock out.

Much better! Healed up right away....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Crashed twice on a Backroad downhill- got some rock rash

Back this past April, I crashed once going down a broken sedimentary hillside road, with lots of small sharp--edged rocks. I saw my arm was bleeding, a friend pulled my bike off me, i got up, straightened everything out then got back on the bike and crashed again less than 5 minutes later. Second crash, I landed on my side, shoulder and helmet. Didn't know how I got there, i found I was just laying on the ground again. No broken bones, but my Giro Aeon helmet was totaled. Started another climb then decided to give up, since that would have meant more downhill. Since I'm 59, I thought I'd better quit while I was ahead. Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-image.jpg
    I pedaled back to the resort where we were staying, asking directions at a shop. The shopkeeper saw my arm and asked me if I wanted her to clean it up (pour alcohol on it). I asked her if it was OK to remove my shirt, so got rinsed with more alcohol. When I got back to base, sans shirt, a couple of riders asked me whether I knew what I looked like, and took this picture.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I think I've posted it afore but my favorite was a skun knee a few years back. Didn't stop me from riding the rest of the day though, but it got me a week off of work because it swelled up to twice it's size the next morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I think I've posted it afore but my favorite was a skun knee a few years back. Didn't stop me from riding the rest of the day though, but it got me a week off of work because it swelled up to twice it's size the next morning.

you shave your legs..?

mtbr member
    Rock removal at your desk FTW! I love this gross stuff quite honestly. A lot of people tell me I am doing it wrong or that I am crazy for continuing to ride with all of my wounds but honestly bleeding makes me feel alive and that I am pushing!

nOOb
    May 2008
    Kinda nosy ain't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by onabike View Post
    you shave your legs..?

mtbr member
    Sandstone doesn't chew well.

OTB into sand stone in Utah a few years ago. Two broken teeth and lots of hurting teeth. The final talley:

1 Broken front tooth with a post and repair.

2 Broken teeth that were extracted. Implants were put in and new teeth added.

4 additional teeth injured in the incident that were eventually abscessed, extracted, implanted, and new teeth put into place.

Total cost: About $9,000 and a midnight express worth of pain. That's a real lot for an old retired guy.

So, did I quit the mountain bike? Hell no!

mtbr member
    ^ thats a doozy! Where are the pictures of it all? Glad you are back on the horse! I laugh when people who are younger than me and in far worse shape offer advice on how to keep myself healthy by not taking as many risks... I wonder if they realize that they do it to feel better about their lack of activity?

At any rate here is my latest little digger. Nothing major but some fun blood pictures! We wound up hitting the bar after this ride and so it was not washed until the following morning. Did I mention I like bleeding, must be that primal feeling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, I was on my mt bike, but riding home from work one night. Decided to cut across a parking lot, didn't see the chain strung across it. It caught my headset, slammed me forward so fast my hands were locked to the grips by my legs, so tightly I had blood blisters on some of my fingertips. Somehow got my left elbow out before impact, it was scraped pretty good and separated my shoulder. Front of my helmet and chin took the brunt, if I hadn't had my lid on I'd be dead, I'm sure. Wish I had better pics. Happened on 7-18-13, I'm still off the bike, shoulder, back, neck still sore. Funny thing is, nothing about my shoulder or neck hurt for the first couple weeks...oh well, using the time to build a bigger bike....

mtbr member
    Knee vs Stem. Stem won.

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-img_20120414_125437.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A little bruise and another elbow

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-bad-elbow.jpg
    Bad elbow from rock rash at Syllamo's Revenge. ER Doc called it an avulsion fracture. Lengthy and painful recovery.

Name:  blue moon.gif
Views: 2435
Size:  46.2 KB
    Hip bruise from falling hard on ice. I was relieved to be able to get up after this hit.

Ridin' Furry

Eye damage almost did occur.

This is what happened when i neglected my mountain bike today and rode my road bike instead.

Long story short, my bike washed out on gravel in a turn and my face got in a fight with the pavement. Totaled 7k bike frame and had 13 Stitches above my left eye, A lucky number i might add!

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-1235331_10202037528964888_1966420050_n.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-1235331_10202037528964888_1966420050_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Big drop in a gully with a low water bridge crossing at the bottom. I pretty much 'fell' straight down and landed on the corner 4x4 of the bridge. Hit the helmet first and then bounced on my eye socket.

First aid was me laying on my dining table with another rider (who is a nurse) cleaning out the wound and closing it with strips. Then to the bar for LOTS of beer and bourbon.

I sent a email to my boss the next day saying I wasn't going to make it to work and attached this pic. I didn't know how bad it looked for hours. I remember riding back to the trail head with people just staring at me. This pic was taken at the trail head. I guess I can see why they were a little concerened. Good news is my Club Ride shirt didn't get stained.

Passion or insanity? Post your injury pics. CAUTION eye damage may occur.-screen-shot-2013-09-15-1.24.18-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Badass pics. and stories! I love the one's where we just slap some duct tape on it and head to the bar...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast