mtbr member

Passion on hold while collar bone heals w/ video of the wreck

3 of us went out for some riding on Memorial day and ended the ride at the ER.

He's a member here (Nickbm3) and anxiuos to get back on his bike.

We barely caught the accident on video and wanted to share.

*Also this is my first ever attempt at video editing.

YouTube link........

http://youtu.be/ZXYXpkUJtNI
    Last edited by eleminohpee; 06-19-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    JEEZ!

That's some serious hardware!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mtbr member
    Thats what she said!

+ rep for elehminohpee for getting me to the ER and taking me home after, and busting A$$ to get to the car after i crashed! Thanks buddy! Chris too for takin care of me and getting me out of the woods!
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Seriously . . . That's one serious fracture. Pay heed to what the orthopedist is telling you about healing and not re-messing up this splint job. Collar bones seem to be what get broken in bike crashes.

And you have yourself one hell of a fracture/repair here.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mtbr member
    Thanks man, I am definitely following the doctors/P.T.'s instructions. My orthopedist warned me of how fragile the repair was even with the plate, even though I felt great, like I could use my arm normally after the surgery. I received my PT instructions on wednsday, and I've been doing the stretches religiously. Beginning of July I should be cleared to go sling-less! 

Yes, that's fonetic
    Ouch, that was some serious displacement/overlap on the break. From the first guys crash, it looks like he grabbed a handful of front brake when he landed.
    Sorry for the break, thanks for the stoke, and get a tripod.

Currently in Exile
    Broke mine back in 2006 in a road bike crash. My X-ray looks almost exactly the same. Still have the hardware to this day. Take it easy while it heals. Don't rush too fast into riding again. You can probably write off most of this summer. I know that it was around September before I was given the all clear by my Ortho.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

XXIX
    Me too, 3 years ago. Motorcycle crash.

14' Vassago VerHauen
    [URL="https://m.facebook.com/pages/Spruce-Creek-Mtb-Trail/572082766223954"]

mtbr member
    That looks crazy! What's the loop around the hardware?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    what exactly send both of your buddies over the handlebars?? bad landing?? rut? braking hard??

i havent jumped a bike since i was a kid... and i cant wait to get some air under my tires again now that im getting back into biking... but i know i cant afford no hospital bills.. gashes wounds and cuts are alright by me but no broken bones

mtbr member
    The first one was a nice combo of 180mm soft travel front fork and landing on mostly flat with the front wheel in a small "pot hole"

The second, were not sure, but it was at the top of a sort of table top, that is about 6-8 inches wide and the left side is almost a straight drop about 2ft down. This is where the bike was.
    Once the bike was picked up and brought home the front tire had some of the no flat liquied marks where it had buped, but were not sure if it was after or before and the cause of the accident.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingrz View Post
    what exactly send both of your buddies over the handlebars?? bad landing?? rut? braking hard??

i havent jumped a bike since i was a kid... and i cant wait to get some air under my tires again now that im getting back into biking... but i know i cant afford no hospital bills.. gashes wounds and cuts are alright by me but no broken bones

None of us were really into jumping although it is very fun. We dont usually go out looking to jump. But we came across these jumps and decided to have some fun.

truthfully, those 3 jumps are probably the most air any of us have gotten since we were kids.
    Last edited by eleminohpee; 06-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.

XXIX
    I have know idea what the wire was. Did your doctor tell you if he is going to take the plate out or not. All my hardware got taken out a year later. Made a cool key chain.
    14' Vassago VerHauen

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    that is an awesome keychain...

and a little offtopic... nickbm3 AWESOME signature line... hahahaha one of my favorite quotes from the movie

mtbr member

Im 99% sure its because my front tire burped. At the top of the table top my rear tire slipped off the edge and I think I jerked the bars a bit turning my wheel perpendicular to my line of travel somewhat, rolling the tire off the bead a bit... grabbing the ground... and flipping me. In the raw video you hear a loud pop right when the bike flips. The tires are not tubeless ready and neither are the rims, just a tubeless strip conversion kit, so I assumed some risk but i never figured on this! I can wrap the cloth rim tape around the rim a couple times before putting the rim strip back on, supposed to reduce chances of burping (shouldve done it from the get-go).

Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    I have know idea what the wire was. Did your doctor tell you if he is going to take the plate out or not. All my hardware got taken out a year later. Made a cool key chain.
    That is bad a$$... if mine comes out i was thinking of putting it on my bars or frame as some mojo!

that is an awesome keychain...

and a little offtopic... nickbm3 AWESOME signature line... hahahaha one of my favorite quotes from the movie
    Haha thanks, love that movie, so many great quotes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eleminohpee View Post
    None of us were really into jumping although it is very fun. We dont usually go out looking to jump. But we came across these jumps and decided to have some fun.

truthfully, those 3 jumps are probably the most air any of have gotten since where were kids.
    now we are just bigger, less bounce-able kids!

mtbr member
    frozenspokes and gatorb - how long did it take for you guys to be able to even get back on a bike? I mean just to ride on paved bike paths or just putz around the neighborhood?

XXIX
    It really depends on you, how fast you heal and your tolerance for pain. It took me about 3 months after the surgery to get back to full mobility and strength but I really pushed it. I hate being hurt or sick so I tend to play threw the pain. It took about a month and a half when the plate was taken out.
    14' Vassago VerHauen

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    frozenspokes and gatorb - how long did it take for you guys to be able to even get back on a bike? I mean just to ride on paved bike paths or just putz around the neighborhood?
    I cheated and started doing some VERY casual rides around the neighborhood after about four weeks. I swapped out the bars and stem my old hardtail for a short, high rise stem and riser bars so that I was in a pretty upright (think cruiser/comfort bike) type position. The rides were short and normally below the sweat level. That was the extent of my riding for the next few months. I let the Dr. in on it after about six weeks and he gave me the thumbs up as long as I didn't put too much stress on it.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Dirt Abuser
    As a person with first hand experience with a broken collar bone, a bit of advice for your friend. Take it easy and hope the doctor set it good (depending upon the type of break/fracture). Do not move your arm much and aggravate it...

As far as the crash, your friend may want to slow down the rebound on his rear shock... it shot him off like a compressed spring...
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    It really depends on you, how fast you heal and your tolerance for pain. It took me about 3 months after the surgery to get back to full mobility and strength but I really pushed it. I hate being hurt or sick so I tend to play threw the pain. It took about a month and a half when the plate was taken out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    I cheated and started doing some VERY casual rides around the neighborhood after about four weeks. I swapped out the bars and stem my old hardtail for a short, high rise stem and riser bars so that I was in a pretty upright (think cruiser/comfort bike) type position. The rides were short and normally below the sweat level. That was the extent of my riding for the next few months. I let the Dr. in on it after about six weeks and he gave me the thumbs up as long as I didn't put too much stress on it.
    I feel pretty damn good actually. I can do the stretches they gave me to the full extent with no pain aside from slight tightness, but not enough to limit me. The Dr. wants me on full time sling duty other than the stretches and sleeping until the 1st of July. Aside from working out the muscles to regain my strength as soon as they clear me for it, it feels just fine, but i am not going to push myself until they feel comfortable the fracture is healed. I dont want to cause damage just because I think I feel fine (i already did windmills with that arm after i got up from the crash because it felt like i just jammed my shoulder probably the cause of the bone fragments). So when the Dr. says its healed, Im going to try some easy riding around the neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Bail_Monkey View Post
    As a person with first hand experience with a broken collar bone, a bit of advice for your friend. Take it easy and hope the doctor set it good (depending upon the type of break/fracture). Do not move your arm much and aggravate it...

As far as the crash, your friend may want to slow down the rebound on his rear shock... it shot him off like a compressed spring...

Thats me with the broken collar bone, and I appreciate your advice (I have been following it already pretty much, see above) The doc said it was a type that cannot be set (fragments and such), so I had surgery the next day and a plate installed, which i think is helping the healing process alot!

If your talking about the guy on the white bike who went over his bars, he did the same jumps 3 times before we did the video just fine! There is sort of a pothole after the landing, and on that last jump he overshot the landing ramp and just happened to land his front wheel in that pothole

WNC Native
    Nickbm3- Let me welcome you to check out my thread on mine. You can see the progress of my recovery and a couple other guys. Seriously Busted up Shoulder

You'll be back on a bike before long.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Life is Short...Ride Hard
    Quote Originally Posted by eleminohpee View Post
    3 of us went out for some riding on Memorial day and ended the ride at the ER.

He's a member here (Nickbm3) and anxiuos to get back on his bike.

We barely caught the accident on video and wanted to share.

*Also this is my first ever attempt at video editing.

YouTube link........

http://youtu.be/ZXYXpkUJtNI

For future refrence dont make us look at an empty trail for so long. Try to edit out long waits. The first guy jumped and then we looked at the dirt trail for a good 30 seconds then you dropped down to only catch a head-bob of the money crash.

Just some pointers. Glad your friend is ok now and I did add to your rep because you played hero that day.