The passion of having a friend and riding partner who can and will tear your legs off

My friend Bill is a leg-ripping badass endurance racer. He's won XC races, won 100 milers, got 6th at solo 24 hour worlds last year, etc. Like most such mutants, his sickest accomplishments are the twisted training loops he puts together and then puts himself through in preparation for racing. Last summer I joined in on one such adventure, riding three laps of a loop that did all the best trails in one riding area backwards. Three laps netted me 53 miles, 6 hours and 20 minutes of riding, and over 11,000 feet of climbing. Bill did five laps in about 8 hours.

In summary, I've only ridden with two other guys who are greater or equal in the leg ripping and crushing department, and those two won solo stars and stripes jerseys at Moab last fall.

Bill is also an exceedingly good guy. He's humble, self-effacing, funny, generous, and just a good person to be around, on or off the bike. This past Saturday we both participated in a homegrown endurance event, road riding 55 miles, riding a further 20 on dirt (on the same bikes, including a 2700' climb with sustained 10% grades), before hiking/running 25 miles, all in a big C loop from town to a trailhead south of here. Neither of us run, so we power hiked that last 15 miles together, chatting, *****ing about our feet, and enjoying the hell out of life.

So when Bill had a photo shoot for a local magazine yesterday, I tagged along. I was still beat from the weekend, and more than happy to stand around on a beautiful evening taking pictures of taking pictures. And because the most common way for males in our society to express affection is to give each other ****, I made this:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15349837" width="700" height="394" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Good riding partners are not something to take for granted. Even ones, like Bill, who have to be really damn hungover for you to be able to keep up with.

Really I am that slow
    Your no slouch yourself mr. C

gotta love those leg ripping rides!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Seeing the thread title made me half expect that this was about biking while walking a grizzly bear.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

bringer of doom
    Yea, I'm [picturing] riding with your bike tethered to a mountain lion.
    Just can't ride fast enough....

Still, good story.
    Last edited by p.doering; 09-30-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: type too fast forget word!
    Ride on, Anthony.

Hadn't thought about the mean pet angle of meaning; pretty funny.

We do see bears riding around here, but they tend to just run away and/or climb a tree.

mtbr member
    I love riding with folks who can destroy me physically or push me technically. It's the best way I know of to get better...... and humbled. Just when you think you're some kind of great rider it's nice to know there are people out there that are sooooo much better and are nice enough to let you tag along for the ride (and learn a thing or two in the process).

As an aside: I didn't know the term "tearing someone's legs off" had fallen out of the biking lexicon. It's an old roadie term for beating another rider badly or really making them suffer to hang for those who haven't figured it out..... I think.

KRob--------------->Not an old roadie
    Last edited by KRob; 09-30-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

slow
    I get my backside kicked pretty regularly by my main riding partner. Most of our rides are pretty humbling for me. However, when I ride with mere mortals, it makes me feel pretty good.

mtbr member
    if your partner tears your legs off, you aren't his riding partner anymore. he rides alone. with an extra set of legs.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    if your partner tears your legs off, you aren't his riding partner anymore. he rides alone. with an extra set of legs.
    I love that!
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What is especially punishing is if they're a female......

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ALEV8
    What is especially punishing is if they're a female......
    I know exactly what you mean. I have been riding with a group of women mountain bikers who can ride circles around me. But I find that they are more fun to ride with than a lot of the men. They encourage everybody in the group. The coach everybody on how to improve. I have never heard them belittle anyone who decides they don't want to try something. It is just more fun to ride with them and I feel like I am learning more and faster than riding with the guys I use to ride with.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I hear ya about those wonder women. My new shred partners half my age, rides the BC, yearns for Ruta and demands the biggest climbs.

Les just say, this must be heaven!

canuck
    pussie, he ain't ****!

love bro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    And because the most common way for males in our society to express affection is to give each other ****,
    Wait? What do you guys give eachother to show affection?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Some of them are half my age. Some of them are close to my age. But they are all very good riders and fun to ride with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Good riding partners are not something to take for granted. Even ones, like Bill, who have to be really damn hungover for you to be able to keep up with.
    I couldn't agree more. My buddies are so far away and it hurts my riding. Good riding buddies make bad rides and times good rides and times.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Nice one! I'm just psyched that one of my favorite riding buddies is coming home for a visit this weekend! It's a double bonus if the riding buddy that can rip your legs off is your son.

slow
    My riding partner that pushes me hardest is down with a broken leg, and my riding is suffering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would love to ride with someone who could rip my legs off!!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Blue Mountain???
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Blue Mountain???

Jumbo saddle.

Members who have read this thread: 0