Jabberwocky Jockey

The Passion of giving back

Yesterday, the Johnson City (TN) Police Department sponsored a Bike Safety Rodeo in the downtown area and our club (Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association) helped out by setting up a booth and did free bike checks/tune-ups e.t.c.
    It was really cool to see all the kids come out and enjoy riding together in the streets of JC (it was kinda odd to not have any cars running up and down the street. They had a "obstacle course" set up of cones to ride around and traffic signs where the kids had to stop,yield e.t.c.

It was a blast.

Our "set-up". We had tools, stands and stuff to tune up bikes, a few of our own bikes displayed, a "skills course" that included a ladder bridge and a small teeter-totter. We also had some trail building tools displayed.

Pre-ride pep talk. (My son, Nathan, is in the lower left corner with the gray helmet and red shirt)

They're off

Nathan thought he was supposed to race the policeman.

The "family shot" (He thought the train going by was way more interesting).

By days end, we had tuned-up and installed lights and bells on about 20 bikes and everyone went home happy and tired.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Currently in Exile

Looks like the kids had fun

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    Yesterday, the Johnson City (TN) Police Department sponsored a Bike Safety Rodeo in the downtown area and our club (Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association) helped out by setting up a booth and did free bike checks/tune-ups e.t.c.
    It was really cool to see all the kids come out and enjoy riding together in the streets of JC (it was kinda odd to not have any cars running up and down the street. They had a "obstacle course" set up of cones to ride around and traffic signs where the kids had to stop,yield e.t.c.

It was a blast.

Our "set-up". We had tools, stands and stuff to tune up bikes, a few of our own bikes displayed, a "skills course" that included a ladder bridge and a small teeter-totter. We also had some trail building tools displayed.

Pre-ride pep talk. (My son, Nathan, is in the lower left corner with the gray helmet and red shirt)

They're off

Nathan thought he was supposed to race the policeman.

The "family shot" (He thought the train going by was way more interesting).

By days end, we had tuned-up and installed lights and bells on about 20 bikes and everyone went home happy and tired.
    Always nice to get the word out. It's weird, when I lived just down the road from you in Morristown, I never took the time to ride any of the trails in the Johnson City area. I am sure that you guys have some great riding, you certainly have the terrain. I know that I miss having Panther Creek in my "back yard". Nothing like being able to hit the trail less than 20 minutes from the trailhead!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

The Mountain Bike Life
    That is awesome.....can you provide any details on how the rodeo was set up, I would love to see something like that here.

mtbr member
    Thats nice...

usually the police around here just run over kids on bikes.
    [SIZE=5]
    Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...
    [/SIZE]