Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ska
    Steel is real.

The Passion forum is dying.......there is no doubt.

Not saying anything is wrong with that; don't get me wrong. At quick glance, it would just seem to be the case.

The Passion forum was once the place where great adventures, epic races, catastrophic events etc. were documented and shared with the masses. It was easy.

Even I used to pretty well strictly post here within this form but even I have moved on: to mainly lurk elsewhere as of late.

It's kind of sad but.........it is what it is.

I believe the current "hotspots" are the 29er and Fat Bike forums. I wonder what will happen next?

The site, along with its people, change. It's good. I hope folks continue to share their rides though. Passion for the sport is alive and well, just broken down into more and more distinct niches.

Just an observation.
    Nothing more.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Ska; 12-19-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

AZ
    banned
    This thread needs pics.

Re-post from "Dogs with Passion".
    The Passion forum is dying.......there is no doubt.-bert_002.jpg

mtbr member
    It's possibly due to the fact mtbr has 200 sub forums now. I'm sure mtbr still contains plenty of passion!

AZ
    banned
    A large percentage of threads posted in Passion belong in other sub forums.

Picture Unrelated
    Could it be that a vast many people on this forum live in climates which are seeing winter right now? Personally, the closest thing to bike passion I have right now is seeing my bike in the garage on the work stand knowing I have to pick about 50 goat heads out of the tires from the last ride before I can even think about trying a snow ride. Also, it's snow sliding weather.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Chillax (if you aren't already freezing). It is DECEMBER, much of North America is a de facto deep freeze and everybody is struggling through the snow & ice to do Christmas shopping, so naturally there are fewer people posting about epic adventures. Summer postings kept me entertained. Fat bike snow adventures are being posted here and there.

Those in the southern hemisphere can step up to the plate (an American baseball idiom) by posting your summer down there* adventures to keep the Yanks entertained.

*Down there is a euphemism for various things; no details at this time.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    But if you add the word "passion" to whatever you post shouldn't that cover your posting in the passion thread? LOL.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    One thing that hasn't changed is how people misread stuff (or how difficult it is to feel the mood of a statement). haha

I wasn't saying anything negative and wasn't complaining. I wasn't even implying that quality posts weren't being written. I believe xl_cheese and myself are on the same page but he may have missed it. To quote myself from earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post
    ......Passion for the sport is alive and well, just broken down into more and more distinct niches.......
    ie. specific forums

I've been on this site long enough to know that there is ALWAYS a lull in the winter months. I understand it. To some it's not as enjoyable as warm weather riding but it is fun in an entirely different way. Believe me.

The "frozen and locked in" excuse doesn't have to be but for many it is. That's totally cool. I get that.

Personally I'm in the frozen north as well but getting out as often as I can. Pic from the other day.
    The Passion forum is dying.......there is no doubt.-dec17th.jpg

All I'm saying is that it seems this particular forum is dying. It's sad because I've been posting in it since the late 90's. It's just a feeling I get: just an observation.

AZ
    banned
    The Passion forum is dying.......there is no doubt.-first_snow_004.jpg

All I'm saying is that it seems this particular forum is dying. Just an observation.

Does not have to be so.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Like "Dogs with passion".

AZ
    banned
    Like "Dogs with passion".

I'd bet you're a killjoy at parties too.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I'd bet you're a killjoy at parties too.
    LOL

Come oooooooonnn. Don't judge me based on some post; especially not that one. Haha

It's all good, man.

Sadly my dogs have passed but once the kids are a bit older and can help out a bit, we'll be getting another.

In saying that I won't post in the Dogs with passion thread.

AZ
    banned
    Sadly my dogs have passed but once the kids are a bit older and can help out a bit, we'll be getting another.

In saying that I won't post in the Dogs with passion thread.

The Passion forum is dying.......there is no doubt.-gedc0085.jpg
    Sorry to hear about the dogs but you gotta post the new ones, what trail dog did you ever see that didn't truly have the passion?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Nah, I think it's just diluted with content that could go other places. Or deluded. Whatever.

Plus less overall riding content since a large user base that otherwise might be posting stoke is winterized at the moment.

Maybe a bit to do with more people hanging out on various other spots - my local Facepage riding group (there are several groups) pages are all pretty active.

We have a good bit of snow around me ATM, and it's all going to melt and make things a sloppy mess in the next few days, before it freezes/snows again - it's couch sitting and book reading time with the dog season.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I am a pretty big fan of MTBR but I think there are many factors that are making people not want to come back.

First the obvious ones are probably changes of passions. A lot of people get into cycling but get out of is as fast as they get in(Not all but some). Some people do have the passion but just don't have the time to ride anymore and feel less a part of the community, but they however may still troll. Families happen, people move and don't have places to ride. Things in general just change.

I took a long hiatus from coming back to MTBR due to experiences in the past under a different user name. My experiences weren't necessarily bad but I found that a lot of the users go over board with the sarcasm, really alienating some old and new users. I mean I get a lot of people decide they can be witty, but I don't think they realize that it makes people not want to come back. So only die hard users and a handful of those people who like to flex their brains(and make other user experiences not so pleasant) tend to be the regular users. Again, nothing wrong with witty remarks but sometimes there's a time and place for them. Often times I wonder, did that person really have to go that far and say that? I mean what was the point? Most of the time there is no point, just a sense of entitlement of freedom of speech. Again which is fine, but it does more damage than good. I think I'm probably going to get a bunch of messages that say "man the phuk up" or "sack up" which is fine, my skin has thickened but that kind of behavior just ruins it for a lot of newbs to the site. That's just my .02 cents.

mtbr member
    I agree with ska. The Passion forum is definitely not the lively place it used to be but like others have said that is (partially) attributable to:

1) The season. Seems like there's always a post or two about this time of year about how things have died down. Duh.
    2) Sub forums taking alot of the stuff that used to get posted here in passion. For instance we used have huge threads about mtbr gatherings like AZ Spring Fling and RMH and May by the Bay that now get posted in the AZ, CO Front Range, and Norcal forums respectively. We just completed a really cool Knolly gathering with 20 or so mtbr/knolly faithful in Phoenix that was tons of fun but the only posting about it are in the Knolly Forum.

Not bad, just an observation. Although I do miss the old Passion days when it was the main place to hang out. I like the sub-forums too. Things change.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    ......Not bad, just an observation. Although I do miss the old Passion days when it was the main place to hang out. I like the sub-forums too. Things change.
    Exactly.

100%

mighty sailin' man
    structure is ignored or just plain weird. This used to be the place for pic heavy threads. Then they moved the Wildlife, Mushrooms and Graffiti threads to Off camber yet the All About Bikes thread is on topic in the off topic forum. The Abandoned Vehicle thread gets bumped every now and then in the general discussion forum but seems out of place there

Even before all that, threads in here by the greats like tscheezy got lost down the page by topics that didn't fit and weren't moved

for starters, maybe they could collect and move some threads back here
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Candlestick Maker
    12 hour work days and less than 10 hours of sunlight are killing my passion. Instead of riding outside on a beautiful 60 degree, I spent an evening spinning in front of the tube. Better than nothing.

baker

mtbr member
    I have a theory that forums in general are are becoming less active due to Facebook. Its easier for people to post up on FB groups since they are already there.

I don't like to see that trend because good information gets lost. It's not searchable. Forums like mtbr are a gold mine of information and data and can be searched for years to come.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

29ers Forever
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first_snow_004.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	856060

Does not have to be so.
    Wait, is that Gandalf?
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member

Digital photography killed passion

This isn't the first time I've said it but people are often blind to the truth. Before we were buried under digital pictures people actually had to use their brain to write a lucid description of a ride. Now they post a picture that looks like a thousand other pictures and think they have passion. Bullsh!t I say to all of you who have forgotten how to use the written word.

One picture can kill a thousand words.

I'm going back to reading War and Peace which has no pictures.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    This isn't the first time I've said it but people are often blind to the truth. Before we were buried under digital pictures people actually had to use their brain to write a lucid description of a ride. Now they post a picture that looks like a thousand other pictures and think they have passion. Bullsh!t I say to all of you who have forgotten how to use the written word.

One picture can kill a thousand words.

I'm going back to reading War and Peace which has no pictures.
    haha

I kinda dig that, Rev. Never really thought of it that way. That might be part of it too! I used to write some long-a$$ posts (I know you used to read on occasion) but, for the most part, gave them up because relatively few would take the time to look at it. It's easier to click and look at pics I suppose.

I still occasionally key stuff up, it's just really rare nowadays.

Hm.......never thought of that.

mtbr member
    I looked forward to reading stuff and used to print out the longer posts to read on the train. Print out a picture of a bike or, God forbid, someone's dog? That isn't passion, it's narcissism. "Oh please, please, look at me!"

I loved reading your stuff. There were so many talented people posting a few short years ago but I suppose you are correct, people got too lazy to actually read something more than a few sentences in length.

Bye, I really am reading War and Peace.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    structure is ignored or just plain weird. This used to be the place for pic heavy threads. Then they moved the Wildlife, Mushrooms and Graffiti threads to Off camber yet the All About Bikes thread is on topic in the off topic forum. The Abandoned Vehicle thread gets bumped every now and then in the general discussion forum but seems out of place there

Even before all that, threads in here by the greats like tscheezy got lost down the page by topics that didn't fit and weren't moved

for starters, maybe they could collect and move some threads back here
    Man..........some heavy hitting threads you listed there. Forgot about the abandoned vehicle one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast