Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    29ers Forever

Passion of Certain Bike Brands

I know that all of you have passion for certain types of bikes, FS, FS 29, HT, AMT, AMT HT, But who has stuck with a certain brand for all of their bikes?
    I have tried to stick with Cannondale (have had three), but my newest bike happens to be a Trek because it was the best deal I got.
    Do any of you try, or do stick with certain bike brands that you absolutely LOVE?
    If so, tell us about what brand that is.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

dirtbag
    Dunno if I'd call it love for the brand, but lately I've been into Salsa. I bought a Mariachi in 09, an Ala Carte a couple months later for a 650b/SS build and last week I bought a Warbird TI cross bike. Now I'm jonesin' for a Mukluk fat bike. Salsa has a really diverse lineup of bikes that doesn't fall into the mold of the larger bike companies like Trek, Specialized and Cannondale which really appeals to my sensibilities.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    for my part have 3 Canfield bros, it all staterd with the One, the bike blew me away ! then i got a used Jedi for dh from a friend at a good price wich is another exceptionnal bike. when i wanted to try a 29er, the yelli sceramy was on a short list of interresting bikes for me...so i went for it, another excellent bike.

prior to that i was loyal to BALFA, a local brand that dont exist anymore. over the years i've own, a Bobunum, a Bélair, a BB7..i also bought a used 2 step frame for a friend and my DOG'S name is BALFA

Both Balfa and Canfield have similarities for me, small brand, with out of the norm creative ideas with their bikes. Usually ahead of their times in their thinking, Excellent personalized custommer service.

That Said the bike itself has to correspond to my need at the time i'm looking for one...the newer generation ONE from Canfield does not appeal to me like the first generation i have at the moment. When it will be time to replace, i might have to look for other brands.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

jrm
    mtbr member

I gravitate towards one brand of

Car/SUV but when it comes to bikes im all over the place. Im on my 3rd On one, 2nd Turner and Niner but only on my 1st Giant and Swobo.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

beater
    I think blind loyalty to any brand is a bit silly, but there's plenty of that around.

Like tartosuc, I tend to prefer smaller companies, and for the same reasons. Plus, I'm not ashamed to admit I don't want the same bike everyone else had. Specialized and Santa Cruz are so prevalent here I have no interest in them, although they definitely make quality bikes.

Bikes are the products of their designers, and for me it's a matter of figuring out who's designing a bike that I want. There are some boutique bikes that get loads of love on these boards that I really disliked when I rode them. At the moment, Banshee's take on geometry, handling and frame design is exactly what I'm looking for, but I'd never say I won't ride anything else.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I think blind loyalty to any brand is a bit silly, but there's plenty of that around.

e.
    In my case its not blind loyalty, it really comes down to what bikes correspond to m needs at the time i need it...if a comany i like has what i want i will look there first. The balfas i had over the years were not one after the other or silmutaneously, i had some specialized, azonic and others in between...the Canfields, well they just complement each other well in my stable, the jedi could have been an intense i was eyeballing also at the time

mtbr member
    I got a Kona Explosif in 89. Since then I've had at least one in the quiver at any given time.

In the early 90s I had an AMP and then a Manitou as my race bikes but the backup was always a Kona hardtail. Since 96 I've been 100% faithful.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    In my case its not blind loyalty, it really comes down to what bikes correspond to m needs at the time i need it...if a comany i like has what i want i will look there first.
    I agree, and I wasn't referring to you.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    fThat Said the bike itself has to correspond to my need at the time i'm looking for one...the newer generation ONE from Canfield does not appeal to me like the first generation i have at the moment. When it will be time to replace, i might have to look for other brands.
    Don't you worry my friend... We have exciting new things in the works! Hopefully that will line up in timing when you are ready to replace your first gen One.

the half breed devil
    not a brand, but a color. i used to always buy red bikes--or bikes with some shade of red in it.

no trees are safe
    I used to love Gary fisher bikes back in the day... and those monsters killed em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Don't you worry my friend... We have exciting new things in the works! Hopefully that will line up in timing when you are ready to replace your first gen One.
    good to know!

mtbr member
    I have been pretty loyal to Ventana.

I have 3 right now and the wife has 1. Between the wife and I, we have owned 8 Ventanas over the last 11 years, and as noted still 4 of them now.

For the record, my wife also has 2 other brand bikes right now and I have 1 other. Over the last 18 years we have owned Specialized, Mountain Cycle, Fisher, Trek, Bianchi, Kona, Scott, Yeti, Surly and a couple of others I am sure. There were things I liked about all of them, and yes, we are bike whores

I like that Ventana actually makes their bikes almost entirely in house. I really like the geometry of the Ventana bikes. They just feel right to me. I also like the customer service and the connection you feel to the smaller companies. I have called Ventana with what I thought was a simple question and ended up on the phone with Sherwood (the owner). Every time I call back there they make me feel like I am their best customer. I made a stupid move on my singlespeed and took a bad line way to fast once. Bad wreck and a broken frame. I called back to talk to them about ordering a replacement and told them it was out of warranty and I broke it being stupid. They sold me a new frame at a nice discount and all they wanted was for me ship the broken frame back so Sherwood could look at the break. Owner appreciation program they call it. I have ordered a couple frames from them with custom features too, which is an option you don't get with a lot of companies.

There are lots of really great bikes out there, but it is nice to deal with a great company that actually makes great bikes.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    I have a foes and I want another foes after this. The frame build is second to none.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Do any of you try, or do stick with certain bike brands that you absolutely LOVE?
    If so, tell us about what brand that is.
    I had a love affair with Specialized for the longest time. Features, posture, value, style.

Especially style.

But now in closer scrutiny, Trek has crept up in my view. And focusing on component quality at one particular price level, I'm giving in. I ordered a new Trek Mamba. Value trumps loyalty.

Hopefully it's a new love affair.

Knollician
    Yep

"Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

b a n n e d
    ^^^ I'd love to demo a Knolly. Their bikes look great and I hear good things about their suspension setup
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    I was a Specialized guy for 4 bikes in a row. But then I decided to not be dedicated to any one brand. I looked around, did research, and decided on a Pivot this time around. Where I go next, only the future knows...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Im loyal to trek (gasp) not only because the bikes feel great, but because I have two trek shops right by my house and the atmosphere is sublime. Can't go wrong with great customer service.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108 View Post
    Im loyal to trek (gasp) not only because the bikes feel great, but because I have two trek shops right by my house and the atmosphere is sublime. Can't go wrong with great customer service.
    Sounds like your loyalty is to the shops, really.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeti ... I find it difficult to sell off my Yeti, so I keep it. Other bikes I sell no problem.

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Yep

is that grass real
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I love Yeti. Took me a year to build my AS-X up but I rode that bike for a couple of years as my main ride until I bought a Trek Fuel EX5 in 2011 .. only reason I didn't buy a Yeti is i couldn't afford to buy one outright and the Trek was in my range. not that Trek is a bad bike, it has served me and continues to serve me well.

2006 Yeti AS-X

2011 Trek Fuel EX5

I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For me, not so much the brand as the shop. I try to spread some business aorund, but one just treats me better. So, I like what they push.

mtbr member
    More than a few reasons I've been riding Specialized as of late.

Some brand loyalty for sure, I test ride maybe 20-25 bikes a year, and bikes like the Carve really fit me well.

My LBS, a Spec concept store is a huge reason, they are just about perfect, not too pushy, not too laid back, just right.

I love gadgets and gizmos, and Specialized is loaded with crap I want, but don't really need

And lastly, one of my best friends lives in Morgan Hill, and he says they are a very community-friendly company, so that doesn't hurt.

But for sure, there are some other bikes out there calling my name, Honzo, Fuji, etc.

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast