mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... The Passion is back

I've been away quite a while. First, a shout out to all my riding bros on Passion. Too many names to mention, and if I tried, I'd miss one, and that wouldn't be good.
    For the last few years, the bikes have been gathering dust. Got a M/C, started touring on it, wrecked it (and me!), recovered, yadda, yadda.
    So, since my recovery from the accident is pretty much complete, the bikes have been calling me to ride. At first, I could only pedal flat gravel trails (while casts & clamshell were the norm for me), but I'm good to go now.
    My Rotec got stolen- bastidges, anyhow- but I picked up a Brodie 8-Ball last week. Had to go try it out right away. What was once a half hour pedal up is an hour push with a 50 pounder. But the carnival ride back down was a big rush! I'd forgotten how much fun it was to carve and leap, twist and hop thru the long descent.
    This week, the weather has been bright & beautiful. I took the trail dog up to Galbraith yesterday afternoon. The trail to the top isn't as steep as last week's climb, so on more of the ascent, I could pedal instead of push. There's still too much bouncing per pedal stroke anytime it comes to mashing pedals.
    I found out how much has changed sine I was there last. Lots of old trails clear-cut. Lots of new trails cut in, and many stunts created. Near the top I found a 60-70 foot log ride on a fairly steep slope. Too much for me. I walked it, and was glad to see that a ride-around had been put there beside the log. It's 3-4 feet down off the log in most places. I wasn't ready for that.
    The steeps were fun, tho, and it was fairly dry for Galbraith. It's muddy a lot of the time. Re-ran an old friend's trail. He made it 4 years ago, and has improved it since. There were a couple small ladder bridges on it. My confidence was climbing.
    Went looking for the old 911 trail. There's a clear cut there now. Beside it is a piece of the old trail, along with some new cut in. Found some more ladders. Some had skinnys close to the ground. My confidence was increasing all the time.
    Down at the bottom of the mountain is an old trail called Chutes and Ladders. Same friend originally made that trail, but others came and added a lot of stuff to it. Much of it has always been stunts. As my confidence grew, I was riding the elevated logs and ladders. Halfway in, there's one with a 45 degree turn at the top of the ramp. I lost mo' and toppled off onto my back. The dog looked at me like "Whatssa matta' you?" I laughed out loud! My neck didn't break! I guess it's all healed now! The doc said if I ever did it again, it wouldn't break at the old site! It won't!
    I tumbled off a couple more stunts. Even if all the old balance and timing wasn't there, the fun sure was! I'll have to go back to the top and have another look at the big log on the steep ground now!

i worship Mr T

welcome back!

glead to hear you have fully healed!

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Keep The Rubber Side Down

The man is back!!

You were missed, old friend! Looking forward to seeing you on the trails again.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hi *rt* !

Been a long time!
    'Member when we rode together last?
    Moab, March '99
    I wanna ride Portal again
    I know you're in Carolina now- it's the N or S part I can't recall, but Tsali is in N Carolina, right? And you're close to there?
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey Gregg!

Long time!
    PatT says he keeps up with ya!
    So you're a bike industry magnate now, eh? Congrats!
    C'mon up, ride some steeps!
    No Catamounts allowed!
    Cheers, bro!
    See ya on the trail!

meh....

You sure like those heavy bikes....

Glad to hear you're healed, it's been a long time. Didn't know if we'd see you on the trails, but it seems that we will.

Monte

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Let's ride!

I rode Chuckanut ridge Friday. I s'pose you're not much into shuttling. I'm not much into pushing the 50 pounder uphill. I got the hardtail for winter & lightweight days
    See ya on the trail!

mtbr member

Well, lookee who it is...

I've hardly been in here at all in months and the one day I pop in for a peek... look who shows up!! Howdy! Missed ya... good to hear from you again. I haven't so much lost the passion as I've gained other pursuits and have not gained extra time to accomodate them all. I'll pm ya my email addy... I'd like to catch up some more.

I'm attaching a pic from MMM... enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Sounds like my kind of riding. Be careful out there, wear your gear. Nice choice on the bike too.

mtbr lurker

Gary!!!!

Good to hear from you! I am especially happy to hear you have healed up. Drop me a line if you are ever going to be in/near Victoria.

greg - previously know as MTB muFin mAN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey Gregg!

I'd love to get a tour of the Dump in Vikky. Been over there to ride the back paved roads on my M/C. I don't know when, but I'd love to go ride with ya again...
    Remember ridin' Fernie? That was a fun gathering!

mtbr member

Amazing how you first interpret things

"Got a M/C, started touring on it, wrecked it (and me!), recovered, yadda, yadda."

Until I read further, I though you got a Master Card, went on a long trip, killed your credit but have now gained financial stability.

Anyway, welcome back.

mad scientist

you mean I might actually keep up with you???

damn doode! glad to hear you are back! I'm going to need to make a trip up there then to ride Galbraith with you and that mongrel of a trail dog... ahhh... the good ol' days of riding Galbraith.

I'm getting invaded by the cannucks down here this weekend. should be a crazy time!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Hey man, welcome back to the bikes with pedals on them!

Glad to hear that you have healed from your injuries.

Let us know when you make it up to Vancouver, or Whister. Now that you have a big bike again, you'll have to try it in the bike park.
    http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/

A bunch of us were up there this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Say when!

Quote Originally Posted by KonaMan
    I'm getting invaded by the cannucks down here this weekend. should be a crazy time!
    Let's ride! Maybe we should turn it on the Canucks and go ride the 'Shore! It's downhill at least 1/2 the time!

MTBR member since 1998

Good to see you back my friend...

I learned a lot riding with you, and I would love to get on the trails with you once again.
    It looks like next weekend (May 29) will be a Whistler day, or maybe the following one. Mellow et al may be staying at my place, and heading to Whistler from there. You are welcome to stay (I won't say crash) at my place, as I always make room for those who ask, and feed those who stay (ask Gregg about my breakfeasts).
    We rode Gailbraith New Years Day, and I just bonked so bad. I think it's time to tell that ol rock whose boss again.
    I'll let you know when I am heading down.
    Take care,
    Tim
    Yes I'm a smooth rider. Bowling ball falling down the stairs smooth.

Quote: Godzilla "...owning a Knolly would be the cycling equivalent of having Nichole Kidman and Angelina Jolie show up together on my doorstep."

www.knollybikes.com

mad scientist

... and if we just ... any votes for a Welcome Back Hammer mini-camp?

I'd be game if I can find the time with the new house and wedding duties...

mad scientist

the only problem is...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    Let's ride! Maybe we should turn it on the Canucks and go ride the 'Shore! It's downhill at least 1/2 the time!
    keeping the rubber side down! I'll check my schedule and see if I can make it happen... only got the "skinny tires" for the ManoMano these days, the BIG bike is gone...