mtbr member
    Apr 2004

To part with or not to?

Why is parting with a bike so hard? Been thinning out the stable, just sold my rarely ridden cross bike and now about to sell the seldom ridden surly 1x1. Would leave me the FS 26", roadie, and cruiser (actually a 26" SS with baby seat). Now, I learn that I can fit 29" wheels on the surly 1x1. WTF? Was all ready for it to sell and now thinking about holding on... Goal is to get a new 29er next winter likely or this fall and to clear out the garage and make some $ along the way. Now rationalizing that it makes sense to have 2 "dirt ready" bikes in case I get a serious mechanical. Help!

mtbr member
    There is never an easy answer when thinning the herd. You love them all for different reasons. Would you love the 1x1 with 29er wheels or are you wanting gears? I think you have to ask yourself that before preceding. If riding a SS 29er just doesn't seem like the road you wanted to go down, then sell it and be done with it. Sounds like you have bikes that are in different genres of riding(like me, I have a road tourer, Pugsley, conundrum, and I just picked up a cargo bike yesterday). I would hate to think of cutting out any of them as they all do different things.

mtbr member

Just Ride
    I have 2 dirt ready bikes, though one needs the brakes put on, but beyond that, it's ready! The road bike is always ready to go for those days when the trails are just to wet.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!