mtbr member

Hope Part 5 - Pics from a MTB road trip to SW USA

Day 9 - Hartmans Rocks

As there was still quite a bit of snow up at Crested Butte I decided to drive down to Hartmans Rocks to ride today

On the way down i stopped off at some bike shops in Crested Butte to see if there any bikes on sale i could replace my broken Ellsworth with.

At the Alpineer I spotted a Large SantaCruz Bronson Frame hanging up in the back of the shop . It was one of the bikes I had been thinking about getting as a replacement for my broken bike,so I asked if it was for sale and if I could get an end of season discount on it... It turned out the shop had bought it as a complete bike but had been using bits from it to repair other bikes during their bike season, the owner of the shop said he would have to work out how much he could sell the frame, forks, headset, and wheels for but couldn't do it straight away so I headed down to Hartmans with a deadline of 5pm to get back to the shop.

It was quite cold but the trails were dry , I rode up to the top from the car park and then the behind the rocks trail

From there I headed down Alonzos

Then i Headed down and up water treatment, and along Gateway trail to Joises trail, The hartmans rocks trails are great, and it was nice not to have to slog through mud and snow like the day before...

From there I headed up sea of sage and then along RattleSnake which has a few technical spots on it

From Rattle snake i connected onto Becks and then down jacks trail and collar bone, I would have stayed and ridden more of the trails as they are so much fun but had to get back to the Bikeshop.

Back at the Alpineer in Crested Butte I agreed a good discount on the price of a Carbon SantaCruz Bronson frame, Cane Creek Headset, Fox 34 Factory Float 150 forks, 27.5 Wheels + Tyres & rotors, gear cables and hose housings. The bike shop also gave me a cardboard bike bike for me back up all the old bits from my broken frame that i wouldn't be using on the new bike so i could get them home. I really recommend the Alpineer as a great place to buy bike gear from - they are really helpful and friendly

Skie Resorts are great places to visit at then end of the season for bargains like this, you cant even buy a SantaCruz Bronson in England at the moment

I then took all my new goodies back to my Hotel and swapped parts off my broken bike onto the new frame , I was up till 3.30 am working on the bike.

Day 10 - Aborted 401 trail & Deer Creek out and back

Today I though i'd see if trail 401 would be rideable, I started quite late, but when i go to the car park i saw 2 mountain bikers who had just done the ride and their bikes were plastered in Mud , as this was the first ride on my new bike I decided not to subject it to conditions like that, but though i'd try just doing the lower part of 401 , so I set off up the road

But I came to a section of road where there was water completely covering the road for about 40 feet, I tried to ride through but hit a deep patch and was in over me knees. As it was cold I decided to turn back to car and change my shoes and go and ride the Deer Creek Trail instead, so i drove down just past gothic and parked just off the dirt road.

I discovered two things about my new bike on this trail
    1) Its a lot harder riding up hills with 27.5" wheels compared to 26" wheels, as I'm still running 9 speed dual control my lowest gear is 22 to 34
    2) I had bought a new xt double derailleur but ths was dropping the chain, and when the chain dropped it got stuck around the BB area, requiring me too take off the chain. So I had to be very careful changing gear.

The trail it self was Great !!, it was almost totally dry and the Aspen colors were great.

Id ridden this trail before on a previous trip after doing trail 401 , but this time I went further along the trail

I rode at as far as where the trail started to drop down into a deep creek and turned around, Riding back was a lot easier as it was mainly down hill

The light was great as the sun started to go down behind the mountain peaks

I got back to my car just as the sun disappeared behind the peaks an all of sudden it got quite cold.. Asides from the chain dropping and getting stuck, the new bike rode really well.
    My MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Nice post...
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Gnarly
    Enjoying your trip and ride report. Lovely landscape
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That is one epic trip you are on.

mtbr member
    Zinger is master of the road trip and maximizing time spent on singletrack.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Fishing/ Biking
    Great stuff. Looks like a beautiful ride.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    Thanks for the passion post. Always love your trip reports. When are you stopping in Ely?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Thanks for the passion post. Always love your trip reports. When are you stopping in Ely?
    Hi

Ely is a bit out of the way - but I might be doing a trip next September from San Fransisco and then leaving from Las Vegas

So could probably work in doing Ely after Mammoth on the way to St George

If I was only to do 2 rides in Ely area what would be best ones to do ?
    My MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zinger-uk View Post
    Hi

Ely is a bit out of the way - but I might be doing a trip next September from San Fransisco and then leaving from Las Vegas

So could probably work in doing Ely after Mammoth on the way to St George

If I was only to do 2 rides in Ely area what would be best ones to do ?
    You always hit such cool riding meccas on your trips that I wouldn't go too far out of your way to ride here..... but if you ever find yourself heading across Nevada on US 50 from Tahoe to Moab or St. George, it's worth a stop. Give me a holler and I'll be happy to show you around.