mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Part 3 - Pics from a MTB road trip to SW USA - Whole Enchilda & Fruita

Day 6 - Moab - The Whole Enchilda

I parked up at the Chile Pepper bike shop and caught the coyote shuttle

(Note : Take an old sock with you if you dont want your crank arm to get rubbed by their bike carriers)

None of the Shuttles were taking bikers up to burro pass - due to snow higher up, so the shuttle dumped us at the Hazard county trail head

I decided that I wanted to do the Whole Enchilada so i cycled up to Warner lake

It wasnt that cold and there was no snow so far , so I carried on riding up the trail

I went wrong at one point and ended up riding along by a stream

I wont lie I did a LOT of pushing my bike to get to Burro Pass, on the way up there were just a couple of sticky spots and just one patch of snow across the trail. But the descent back down from Burro was well worth the effort of pushing to the top...

The descent back down to Warner Lake was Brilliant

The Aspen were looking great as I headed downwards

I stopped at Warner lake and chilled out for a bit for continuing down to the Hazard County trail head and the stiff climb up to the start of the Hazard county trail

The Hazard county trail was fast and dry and soon I arrived at the kokopelli double track which i headed down until I got onto the UPS trail

After the great singletrack of the UPS trail the horrible rocky dirt road which takes you down to lps is always unpleasent. But once you get back onto LPS its great again

I must remember next time i do the Whole enchilada to get a shuttle from Poison Spider bike shop, as the ride back to the Chilli Pepper bike shop on the road seemed like a long one..

Once back at the car I drove to my Hotel in Grand Junction.

Day 7 - Fruita - 18 Road & Kokpelli trails

Rain was forecast for the Grand junction area, but in the morning the weather was still ok. I drove on over to Fruita and rode a few of the trails over there

The first trail I rode was Front Side to Zipperty do dah

At the end of Zipperty I headed back up to Front side and Rode down Joes Ridge

I could see rain coming down up and down the valley but so far it had missed th 18rd trails

From the end of Joes I rode up through the camp grounds and then headed down Kessels Run which was great fun.

The singletrack at 18rd was a lot narrower than the last time i had visted as they have now made some of the trails 1 way only - which is great..

As I reached the end of Kessel Run it started to rain so I headed back to the SUV and then drove into fruita.

I had a look in over the edge and CBB Bike Shop to see if there were any bikes on sale i might be interested in, and got my rear wheel trued up by Tony in CBB bike shop for a very reasonable $10 while i waited.

I then Headed over to Kokopelli trails to meet up with Beanman for a night ride

It wasnt raining when we met - but as we rode up Marys it started to rain but as we had started we carried on with the ride, we rode up to Horsethief Bench and then then rode the loop. Asides from it being Wet and Cold the ride was acutally a lot of fun

NOTE : My Pics are bigger than what appear in MTBR site , if you use Chrome right mouse click on pictures and select Open Image in New Tab to see Full sized pics..
    My MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member
    Nice pics Zinger!
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wow, you really wanted to do The Whole Enchilada! I can't believe you rode/pushed all the way to Burro backwards. Cool!

Gnarly
    Gorgeous riding pics and landscapes!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    The two rides with Zinger have been the highlights of Fall so far. I really don't know how someone can ride so much for so many days in a row.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome adventure. That 2nd to last pic is incredible!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Nice - Thanks for posting!