mtbr member

Part 2 - High Country Extravaganza! The livin' is good - July pic dump. Part 2 x-Post

Part 1
    High Country Extravaganza! The livin' is good - July pic dump. Part 1 (X Post)

After taking a day off to eat ice cream and chill in Salida, we went to Boreas Pass. We camped at Selkirk and I embarked on the Kenosha to Breck - CT all the way - ride. After this one, I was up to around 142 miles. The legs were doing fine, but earlier I wore some new shorts that were causing some major problems. I'll spare the details.

Classic Kenosha view looking to Mt. Guyot in the distance. You mean I have to go there?

Ran into these guys from PA. They were doing an extended version of my trip, taking 7 weeks. I'll take there line of employment, please.

No snow, just flowers. And lots of 'em.

All clear up to that pesky pass.

Self portrait cresting the pass.

Again, couldn't resist the cliche'

Tasty - preview of the drop.

West side of Georgia. Normally you see snow drifts here around this time of year, but it was clear. I stopped for a self portrait and to eat my sandwich and some more bears.

Tiger road was a tempting bail out option, so I rested for a bit before the climb back out of the swan river basin.

I found the inspiration to climb, climb, climb. (and to take this self portrait). Notice Mt. Guyot in the distance. That's where I came from.

For those of you who know this ride, you'll understand why there are no more pictures. Once you climb up, it is some of the best descending around all the way to the sweet embrace of the Gold Hill Trailhead.

After doing the Kenosha Breck ride, my butt was so sore, that the next day, I could hardly sit on the bike. I had one more ride in mind though. Copper Mountain to Searle. The snow reports were dicey and so was chafing, but I headed out anyway.

Hmmm, must be melting...

Climbing up the valley....

And more climbing....

Ultimately I was turned around near Janet's cabin. I was about 11,700 feet up. No snow so far, just a few puddles where this trail is always problematic. My legs were fine, but it the pressure on my saddle sores was so immense, that I couldn't climb anymore. I made it 6.2 miles up the climb for a total of 12.4 miles. That brought the week's total to 154 miles of some of the best singletrack in the country. It's exactly what my soul needed. Thank you Colorado. I'll see you next year. Hopefully we will become permanent acquaintances again soon enough.

Time to head back east...

Last edited by Clay; 07-12-2009 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    very nice!. Inspiring views

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    beautiful water pic!

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Awesome!!! My wife came in as I was looking at your pics and said "so when are we going there!!!!"
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    im one of the PA guys, the one in the second pic. glad you had a great ride, we did too, damn thats a tough ride. nice pics btw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    im one of the PA guys, the one in the second pic. glad you had a great ride, we did too, damn thats a tough ride. nice pics btw
    Sweet - I was wondering if you guys would check the site. I've got a couple more of you guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I recognize the OK license plate. I live near Lake Texoma. We've probably ridden some of the same trails.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Safe travels home. Like I said in response to part 1, I hope to do some of these rides for the first time this summer.

bi-winning
    Great pictures!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club