mtbr member

Hope Part 1 - Pics from a MTB road trip to SW USA

A few weeks back I did another great MTB road trip to USA, here a few pics from the trip

NOTE : My Pics are bigger than what appear in MTBR picture , if using Chrome right mouse click on pictures and select Open Image in New Tab to see Full sized pics..

I may have to fly 5250 miles from England but the riding so great stateside its worth the effort, added onto those air miles miles i drove over 2250 miles to ride the good stuff in as many places as possible..

Day 1 - London to Las Vegas - Bears Best Trails

After arriving in Las Vegas in picked up my hire car and headed to my hotel to unpack my bike - I then put my lights on my bike and went for a night ride over at the Bears Best trails

Although fairly short the trail system over there is fun, and it as it was a good way to stretch my legs after the long flight.

Day 2 - Cottonwood Trails - Blue Diamond

Woke to a perfect blue sky day and headed north to the Cottonwood trails

Trails were in great shape and I rode most of the trails on the north side of the highway. Only spot i had to hike a bike was heading up the hurl. Then I drove north to St George where i was staying with my mate Rick.

Day 3 - Brian Head & 3 Peaks

We drove upto Brian Head and got a shuttle upto to the Bunker Creek trail

It was quite chilly up at the top but the wind was with us so it never got too cold

We took the left fork of bunker creek trail, which had a few trees down across the trail, but apart from that was great with the aspen leaves carpeting the trail in places

After the fun riding through the aspen we headed down the dirt road towards the lake and got the shuttle back up to the top again. And we then rode along to the Dark Hollow trail

The Top part of Dark Hollow is great

Riding at altitude through aspen is awesome - the smell of the Aspen is something I always look forward to when riding high in the mountains

The main downside to Dark Hollow is the ride down the forest road to the highway - you can ride up through scout camp, but we had to get a move on as we were going to go and met some of Ricks friends and ride at the 3 peaks area near Cedar City.

The 3 peaks area reminded me a bit of Hartmans rocks in Gunnison, the rocks are granite, and the trails are composed of bits of granite. There were quite a few sections of board walk over creeks and rocks, and a fair bit of climbing to get around the peaks

I'd go back and ride at the 3 Peaks trails system again as the trails were fun to ride

Day 4 - Little Creek Mesa

Today I went for a ride at one my favorites places in St George area Little Creek Mesa

I could tell its been wetter than normal this year as usually theres no water in this pond

The weather was just about perfect for riding

While doing the ride i could hear a creaking noise , after fiddling around with my bike I thought it was my cable housings making the noise , but later i was to find it was a bit more serious than that

When I got back to my vehicle while wiping down my bike I discovered the cause of the creaking

The Seat tube on my Ellsworth Epiphany had cracked almost all the round - there was just 1 cm of tube without a crack. Luckily for me I had been taking it fairly easy on Little Creek Mesa , I Might not have been typing this if the seat tube had gone completely while riding at speed.....

Unfortunately for me Ellsworth have a pretty naff 2 year warranty now and my frame was out of its warranty. On the new Epiphany frames they have changed this part of the frame so there is no weak spot , so its a known weak spot on the older frames.

When I got home i got in touch with the dealer i bought the frame from and they offered me a replacement frame for $1600 , but I decided not to take up offer as a 2 year warranty is not long enough...

Back In St George I visited some bike shops to see if there were any end of season offers on bikes. But my Mate rick convinced me to not make an impulse buy , and he also very kindly lent me his old specialized Stunt Jumper Bike for the rest of my trip.

Thats it for this post next one will be Moab part of trip
    Last edited by zinger-uk; 10-24-2013 at 03:45 AM.
    My MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member

That looks amazing, especially that third pic...hate to use this word but... that is EPICALLY EPIC!

That sucks about your frame, but that trip was worth it. Now you get to get yourself a new toy!

pin it
    Looks like an exciting trip. Your pics on the ledges are my favs. Bummer about the frame
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Good stuff, really looking forward to the 'epic' 2nd part of the trip...

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    I was pleased to see another zinger-uk report. Those are some very nice pictures. Sorry about your frame mate.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Very nice pictures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good stuff. I always look forward to your trip reports.