mtbr dismember

Palm Springs, CA

The Palm Canyon Epic is a point to point ride that starts in the mountains south of Palm Springs, California, and descends to the city via some of the most rugged terrain I've ever ridden. It's not really my kind of riding, but it is exactly half way between home and Phoenix, where I was heading for two rides. Steamer19 and his buddy, both from Calgary, Alberta, met me at 6:30 am and we shuttled to the top. It was a bit cool at the start, but we weren't complaining since it had been quite warm recently. As always, both guys were much faster and more skilled than me, but they didn't seem to mind waiting once in a while. The weather was unusually pleasant for this time of year, the massive sandy wash about two miles long, which is often unrideable, was quite rideable, and we had a great ride.

official eMpTyBRain
    Nice!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Love you're rides.

I'm really diggin it!

Palm Springs, CA

Wow amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gnarly
    The landscape is so different from what I ride. Looks amazing
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    The landscape is so different from what I ride. Looks amazing
    Yes, for me too. It is nice for awhile, but I quickly miss some green and trees. Perhaps only two months left until Tahoe opens up for me.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That is my back yard. To see exactly what the endangered Bighorn Sheep sees is truly amazing(I just WISHED I could climb like them). This epic puts ALL your survival preparedness skills to the ultimate TEST...

Nice photo stoke!!!!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting up the ride summary and pictures. It really was a great ride and we appreciate having you along to help show us "foreigners" the way.

We are now back home in well below freezing temperatures and counting the days/weeks to when we might be able to get out on the local trails. Oh well, it probably gives me some time to put together some of the GoPro footage from that day. I'll post a link in this thread when I'm done...

mtbr member
    Nice pics Wherewolf

mtbr member
    Finished putting together a quick video of the ride. Sorry for not having my hydration tube stored away during the last segment...

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Thanks for sharing your video!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Awesome ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Palm Springs, CA

What trails did you ride after the sandy wash?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks like a mix between BCT and South MT... both of which I have ridden extensively being a AZ native. My Uncle just moved to Palm Springs. Will check this out in the fall as I am recovering from a ankle break.. this summer will be Prescott and Flag as rehab.

Jabert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    What trails did you ride after the sandy wash?
    After the sand wash, we made our way up to the old Caterpillar where Art Smith and Hahn link together. From there, we took Hahn back towards Palm Springs and finished on Wildhorse (I think?? and the Goat Trails back to the Vons parking lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks sick!

I'm going to be in palm springs in September, and I should have a bike, but limited time to ride. Is there a way to shuttle the first 12-13 miles of the trail?

The elevation profile on that makes it look, you know, awesome.

thanks!

H.

Professional Dirt Sampler
    I don't think there is anyway to get shuttled up but you could ride up Dunn Road and ride 10-12 miles of the stuff they rode. I'll try to get you a route soon.
    Last edited by z400jt; 04-15-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Professional Dirt Sampler
    For anyone looking to experience some of this ride without a shuttle you can do this ride. It gives you the last 10 miles or so of the PC Epic.

I went a rode it today. I left from my apartment and rode about 2 miles to the start of Dunn Road. Obviously you probably don't want to leave from my apartment but I'm sure you can figure out the route from the link below. Ride up Dunn Road until you reach the picnic tables/Art Smith Trail/old construction equipment thing (technical term), its actually the second piece of equipment you'll see. Then you'll head out to the west from there on the Hahn Buena Vista trail. Then follow signs to Wild Horse Trail and don't go down the trail to the trading post. Study the satellite map of the route and you should have no problem finding your way. It was awesome by the way.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by z400jt View Post
    For anyone looking to experience some of this ride without a shuttle you can do this ride. It gives you the last 10 miles or so of the PC Epic.

I went a rode it today. I left from my apartment and rode about 2 miles to the start of Dunn Road. Obviously you probably don't want to leave from my apartment but I'm sure you can figure out the route from the link below. Ride up Dunn Road until you reach the picnic tables/Art Smith Trail/old construction equipment thing (technical term), its actually the second piece of equipment you'll see. Then you'll head out to the west from there on the Hahn Buena Vista trail. Then follow signs to Wild Horse Trail and don't go down the trail to the trading post. Study the satellite map of the route and you should have no problem finding your way. It was awesome by the way.

We regularly used this route for local group rides on Sundays in the 1990's.