Sweat is just fat crying.

Ow. I feel as though I've been thrashed with a switch.

Speaking of Death Marches, we did one yesterday. Many scratches on the legs, many endos on baby-head-strewn downhills, but no serious injuries. 4 very tired mountain bikers.

Being on JFR time, we left his house late, then went to pick up Steve in Auburn on the way to Grouse Ridge, after swapping his Fox fork (leaking?) for my spare 'zoke.

The plan was to ride Grouse Ridge for 4- 4.5 hours. We were out there for 7 hours, doing a lot of this.

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why are you walking that section?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Speaking of Death Marches, we did one yesterday. Many scratches on the legs, many endos on baby-head-strewn downhills, but no serious injuries. 4 very tired mountain bikers.

Being on JFR time, we left his house late, then went to pick up Steve in Auburn on the way to Grouse Ridge, after swapping his Fox fork (leaking?) for my spare 'zoke.

The plan was to ride Grouse Ridge for 4- 4.5 hours. We were out there for 7 hours, doing a lot of this.

fp
    Doesn't look bad.

Lots of gorgeous scenery.

23 miles of it.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Stil.

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    Doesn't look bad.
    Steeper Than It Looks. Lots of babyheads on the uphills made for tough climbs. Especially near the end of the ride.

Same with this pic.

fp

Yes, we did actually ride the bikes.

In between scenic gaping, push sessions and stream crossings, we actually pedaled a bit.

fp

Card Carrying Member

Nice foot plant!

JFR
    mtbr member
    Nice foot plant![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I sorta failed that challenge. I was supposed to hop up onto that little slab then drop off it. The slab wasn't much longer than a bike length; once onto it I lost my balance and momentum and ended up doing that foot-plant-drop thinging... and rode it out. :-)

There were several slick rock area's to fool around in. Unfortunantly we were on a mission and most the fooling around was done en route (no pics). But it was sure fun looking for intresting lines and riding em.

Jed Peters
    That looks like a sweet ride!

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFR
    Nice foot plant!
    and rode it out. :-)
    .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought your chances looked good on the outcome, just didn't know if it was intentional. hehe

That does look like fun, I sure dig playing on stuff like that.

banned
    Looks like good stuff, but I have to ask about all of the hike-a-bike.

Was that due to a routing issue (due to snowpack?) or what? I don't recall hours of hike-a-bike when we rode Grouse a few years ago.

JFR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Was that due to a routing issue (due to snowpack?) or what? I don't recall hours of hike-a-bike when we rode Grouse a few years ago.

I think we lost the trail here and there due to the lack of it's use and none of us having been there before. We also had a re-route when we encountered some sort of a controlled spill-way area that was spilling big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re spilll-way

Quote Originally Posted by JFR
    I think we lost the trail here and there due to the lack of it's use and none of us having been there before. We also had a re-route when we encountered some sort of a controlled spill-way area that was spilling big time.
    That's the infamous PG&E hydro generation channel. I have crossed it twice, it is very cold and not fun in any way.
    Romani ite domum

Tracking up the place

Jealous

thats the only word
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    That looked like a lot of fun. Good weather too.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

I didn't remember it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Some of the stuff we rode I recalled from when you, Paul & I rode it many moons ago. Was that with the poodle on the trail?

Our ride yesterday was a little nastier. Especially at the end, we went under the huge pipeline, turned right to cross the "stream" and found it to be a massive, out-of-control spillway. We had to find another way around it, and this led to several road miles at the end of the ride.

Not much snow to be seen. Just a few small areas to ride thru/around/near. Funny- JFR was real leery about getting his feet wet at the beginning of the ride, and did his best to find his way around stream crossings. Finally, there were so many of them, he just gave up and slogged thru with the rest of us.

fp

Vegan Athlete
    There is another way around the spillway.
    If you are leaving the Spaulsing Lake trail heading towards Fuller:
    Don't go under the pipe, follow it downhill, cross the wooden bridge. Now cross under the pipe (tricky) and keep the little (3' wide +/-) creek on your right. You'll connect with the Pioneer Extension, follow that till you have an option of following the trial to the right (if you go down ANY switchbacks, you've gone too far). Follow this trail till it hits a fireroad, left on the fireroad and if you know the area you will be back on familiar terrain. If you don't know the area, good luck and follow the most used roads/ditches.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

You know...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    There is another way around the spillway. If you are leaving the Spaulsing Lake trail heading towards Fuller: Don't go under the pipe, follow it downhill, cross the wooden bridge. Now cross under the pipe (tricky) and keep the little (3' wide +/-) creek on your right.
    ...I thought about that later (20/20 hindsight) but the trail leading off that wooden bridge to the left was so defined, we all went for it. Should have looked around a little more, dammit.

Thanks for the tip- and where were you when we needed you??

fp

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Grouse

Sorry you lost your way a bit. We'll hook up for another ride up there soon, I'll play trail guide and show you some other cool Grouse trails. Not every ride up there has to be a monster epic.

I am planning an IMBA/MTBR Grouse Ridge Gathering for later this summer. Stay tuned...

mtbr member

Very Cool

That would be a great place for a gathering of some sort.....so after going left at the pipe we ended up at spaulding dam....the fact is we were so out of gas....that we did not want to risk any more "exploration"....so we took our lumps on the road.

What a great ride though.....More rock than dirt! Blue lake trail was awesome! I kind of wish more folks would ride it to break down some of the trail debris....at blue lake we had a great time riding the rock slabs....and at the intersection of blue lake and GC trail....We decided to add a little side trip(had we forseen how this ride would end we would likely have skipped it) up Beyers lake trail until it started to become hike a bike...then turned and went down...which was very fun. The downhill on GC trail was OBSCENE! It's the only place I have ever seen Gary crash...Twice! I went down at least 5 times.....but I was still smiling at the end!...The challenges continued on Spaulding Lake trail...and so did the pain. We were all very tired.....Good thing we brought WATER FILTERS and lots of food.

I can't wait to ride at grouse again and explore some of the other stuff up there.

Owwww!
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Grouse Gathering Dates

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    That would be a great place for a gathering of some sort.....
    So let's pick a date! I am thinking August. What dates do NOT work for you?:

August 7-8th

August 14-15th

August 21-22nd

August 29th-30th

Allways ride safe!!
    Jan 2004

I agree with BigB

Even though we ended up doing some detouring, I thought it was a great ride! A little epic that leaves you dragging a$$ at the end of the day is good thing ( here and there ). The description of slow and technical is apt for this trail. I definitely plan to attend your gathering and get the benefit of the someone who can show us the options.
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

Radio Commercial

Allways ride safe!!
    Jan 2004

My pick

August 7-8 works bets for me.
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

Radio Commercial

mtbr member

Yup....

August 7-8 would be the only time in August for me....since Jilm and I are roadtripping the 17th -24th.

What about 7/30-8/1

or labor day weekend....or the weekend after that?

s
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org