Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Out of touch at 35?

I got into mountain biking back in the early 90's (when I was 15). Road for a number of years, eventually broke my wrist, and took some time off (girls, beer, partying, college, etc.). When I used to ride full suspension was just getting fine tuned, there was only one wheel size, bar ends were mandatory, all mountain was not in the vocabulary, and Ned Overend was my hero.

So here I am twenty years later, feeling good at the young age of 35, and I don't know where to start on these forums? I don't really do DH, no AM, consider myself a cross country rider, but not a racer, and not enduro. I guess passion is a good place to start? I live in Nor Cal, so that thread works. I'm sure this has been hashed out a hundred times before, but what happened to the guy who liked to just ride cross country on a hard tail 26 inch wheel bike?

By the way, I recently got a Marin Palisades Trail (yes I stayed with a 26 because I'm short at 5'6" and was skeptical of the standover clearance) and I'm officially hooked again! Feels great to get back into the sport! I should add a thanks, because even though I feel like a homeless guy on this forum, it sure is a great place to get a LOT of great information.

Dan

mtbr member
    Welcome back to mountain biking!

General discussion is a good place to check out as well as the beginners section....

Have fun and keep getting that bike dirty!
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ned is the MAN! Real cool guy. Missy Giove wa a b i t c h and looky how she turned out. Was a Mammoth when Tomac broke the DH record with his disc rear wheel.

Ahhh, the good 'ol days of biking.

I am a XC kinda guy too. I know exactly how you feel and went thru the same process when I started riding again.

FYI, lots of shortys and tiny women ride 29ers. standover is mostly a thing of the past and not really considered in bike fit terms.

mtbr member
    Wasssup , Nor Cal here too..well Cen Cal (Central Valley)
    Yeah, this fourm has alot to weed thru..tons of great info and wild opinions.
    I'm a decade ahead of you but like you I'm a NOOB again after retireing my 26er in the mid 90s to raise kids and get yelled at by my wife :-)
    She can't yell at me when I'm on my bike so I ride that thing all the time! LOL
    Good to be back in this Sport!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr dismember

Try here

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah Burt, kids! I have two little guys and they take up a lot of time. I am getting my 4 year old onto a bike with pedals this spring and his Hotrock balance bike is going to Mr. Fearless 18 month old. Fun times ahead. For now I'll have to settle with getting on the trail 1 to 3 times a month. That's why the forum is so nice, living vicariously....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are any where near the east bay ,check out the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay,BTCEB.ORG. Group rides,Trail Work, Kids program

mtbr member
    Hey Dan!
    I too re-started after a 20-something year hiatus at 37 (2 years ago)
    I am so, SO glad I did. Went from a 92 Rockhopper Comp to a 2013 Transition Bandit.
    The jump in technology and a renewed zest for adventure have done wonders for me.
    I have all new scars and all new stories and friends to go with them.
    So keep it up, have a blast, and get ready to enjoy the next 20 years...
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    ...I'm sure this has been hashed out a hundred times before, but what happened to the guy who liked to just ride cross country on a hard tail 26 inch wheel bike?...
    Dan

Dan,
    I am 39 and ride a 26" hardtail with V-brakes. It is the same bike I built up in 2003 and then took a 8 year break. I guess I am out of touch too, but I don't care. Hang out in the Nor-Cal area if yo are in Nor-cal and just enjoy the ride.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Welcome back. I restarted a few years ago on my old Marin Eldridge Grade steel bike with a Manitou Answer fork complete with the corrugated boots covering the stanchions. Technology marches on but you can still have fun.

The best way I find to think about cross-country, trail, all-mountain, enduro, downhill or free ride is that it's just another kind of jargon / classification / shorthand. Each word tells you a few things about the bike and what kinds of trails it's meant for, compared to other terms.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Welcome back. We all have our personal bike preferences, but it doesn't really matter. Just ride and have fun.

mtbr member

Re: Out of touch at 35?

I got the 2012 palisades trail but in the 29er.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Im 35 also and just started riding again in October after about a 20 year hiatus (girls and Partying). It was crazy to see all the changes in bikes in the past couple of decades. I ended up goin with a Scott Scale 29er and ive been having a blast! Every chance I get I go ride. It's just as much fun as when I was a kid. I've driven all over South Florida riding different trails. I've even gotten my cousin and a couple buddies to buy bikes and start riding again! I take me bike to work with me and hit the closest trail to where I'm workin on my way home! Well good luck! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

mtbr member
    I started in 88, just started riding late last year after about 20 years of not riding, I'm 43.
    Just bought a Giant Trance. The bikes are so much better now. I ride a little slower and a little safer, but it's still wicked fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Welcome back, I fall into the same riding category as you but am going to try some light gravity stuff this summer with some friends who used to race DH. I started riding about the same time as you and took a break from about '03 till early '09. I live just north of Sacramento in Lincoln, if you are anywhere near that I'm doing an early ride with some friends Saturday at Granite Bay and probably going back later in the day for an easier but longer ride if you want to join.

mtbr member
    HA! Sounds like yer on your way..kids are awesome..MOST of the time lol
    My boy 19,1st daughter 17 and 5yearold Opps PismoBaby..damn Live Music! hahahah She is great. I'm 46 not fartn dust yet!
    We all ride togeather so it's fun. But I realy enjoy riding the trail as much as I can were ever I can!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

FKA Malibu412
    You'd be so much faster on a 29
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    I pretty much mirror you age and riding wise.
    Started in '93 at 13, stopped in '97. Got into moto. Got severely injured last year with 4 broken ribs, broken shoulder, and collapsed lung. Wife finally said I need to stop. Jumped on my bike that I bought in '08 (Fuel EX9 26") and am going to transition this year from moto to mountain and road cycling again, then sell the MX as of Dec. 31 2014.

I definitely felt the "fish out of water" getting back into it. Honestly, just riding again, being out with the same guys I used to ride with, and feeling the techniques and speed come back (now to work on my strength and endurance, and lose 20 lb) has done wonders.
    I have spent an entire day simply working on one small section of downhill rocky stuff, that I used to fly over on my old '96 Y33. It is amazing what these new crop of bikes are capable of, and I find myself having to re-learn what is a ride-able line, and what is not.

By the way, bar ends are still awesome. I just wish I could find a set of CODA XYZs, loved them, and I would gladly throw them on the bike for XC riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    welcome back. i came to the bay area for undergrad back in 94, and bought a fully rigid rockhopper as a freshman. i rode that from 94 until 2009, when i thought i'd try FS, and got a santa cruz blur LT. i was amazed at how well all the new-fangled suspension, brakes and 2.35 tires worked!
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Right there with you, man. I'm 35 and just climbed back on a bike a few years ago. Did some bmx as a kid, had a cheap Giant hardtail in college and mainly rode campus and some light trails. A few years ago, after a few failed attempts at going to the gym consistently, I needed something for exercise and stress relief. So, I decided to buy a bike and give it a shot. First down hill run, I fell right back in love. I've learned a lot, and am still learning every ride. I'm loving the new technology and really want to learn how to work on my current hardtail 29er. The new components are just amazing to me.

I'm older, I'm slower and I sometimes bail on things I would have ridden 10-15 years ago. But one thing hasn't changed: When I'm riding, I still smile ear to ear with the wind in my face and my tires off the ground, and I still feel like I'm 12 years old flying downhill on my bike. That, I don't think will ever change. Climbing, I feel like I'm 80....but downhill, I'm just a kid on a bike. Welcome back and have fun.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Great to have you back! Enjoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    welcome back!
    I also started in the mid 90's. I had a full rigid Cannondale that I bought with my tax return from my first full time job.
    I got out of riding after burning out working "in the industry" but couldn't stay away for longer than a year or two.
    Between family and work I try to squeeze in rides whenever I can.
    My local forum here on MTBR has been a great source of info on rides and whatnot.
    Get after it when you can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Same story for me.. Started back up at 35.. with a Trek 3500... 4 bikes later (one was stolen) im on a RM Instinct and love it.. its a trail bike so XC and AM together! Love it.. My long time friend and I joke.. We are still riding bikes and talking about girls (our wives now) just like we were younger!!
    Keep riding it only gets better!!
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

mtbr member
    I'm an old guy too. Don't forget Juli Furtado, she was unbeatable back in the day.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I took about a 20 year break, up till I was about 16 I rode daily. Between a MTB and BMX, they were my modes of transportation and fun.

Had to learn a lot of new things getting back into it, my first bike was fun but not up to the local terrain, and I'm waiting on my new bike now. I feel like a kid again while riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast