Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 89 of 89
  1. #51
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,278
    My story is quite the opposite in that I had a couple roadies(schwinn) in HS but after that it was all go fast/quick motorcycles, sportbikes, repli-racers and threw literally thousands @ each one until the next high zoot bike came out and rinse, repeat for 30yrs, fast forward to roughly 2006 and purchased a used trek road bike again, then sold it and bought my 1st new full suss MTB in 2010 along with a new roadie. Just a month ago purchased my 2nd MTB and as a mid aged guy i relish in it with a smile on my face at what suss in bicycles has become.........i giggle all the way back to my car.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    and the Cannondale's not as cool any more.
    Probably would only keep them on for camping.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,147
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    My story is quite the opposite in that I had a couple roadies(schwinn) in HS but after that it was all go fast/quick motorcycles, sportbikes, repli-racers and threw literally thousands @ each one until the next high zoot bike came out and rinse, repeat for 30yrs, fast forward to roughly 2006 and purchased a used trek road bike again, then sold it and bought my 1st new full suss MTB in 2010 along with a new roadie. Just a month ago purchased my 2nd MTB and as a mid aged guy i relish in it with a smile on my face at what suss in bicycles has become.........i giggle all the way back to my car.
    I giggle too and you can hear it in my posted videos.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bahamut2119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    I was and am still a bit lost with the newer stuff ill be 35 in a little over a month I took 5ish years off from riding but longer than that since looking into advances last time I did its was 26" bikes or bust, no such thing as dropper posts, 3x9 was standard but you could do a 1x9, centerlock disks were not invented yet, iron horse my favorite bike brand was still in business making decent bikes for all types of riding, had a dh team, and ya i think that's it but i'm sure I missed things. Only thing i'm still lost on its whats the difference between say a 27.5 and a 27.5+ I still haven't found anything to explain it altho ive seen youtube comparison on trail rides.

  5. #55
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2119 View Post
    Only thing i'm still lost on is whats the difference between say a 27.5 and a 27.5+.
    The+/plus equates to wider rims, ie i30-40mm and tires in the 2.7-3.0 range. Some bikes are generous enough to handle + as is, others are now being manuf as specific + bikes with boost spacing (F 15x110mm TA, R 12x147mm TA)to accommodate such sizes.

    hope that helps.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2119 View Post
    I was and am still a bit lost with the newer stuff ill be 35 in a little over a month I took 5ish years off from riding but longer than that since looking into advances last time I did its was 26" bikes or bust, no such thing as dropper posts, 3x9 was standard but you could do a 1x9, centerlock disks were not invented yet, iron horse my favorite bike brand was still in business making decent bikes for all types of riding, had a dh team, and ya i think that's it but i'm sure I missed things.
    Either you've been away more than 5 years, or you weren't paying attention back then. 29ers, dropper posts, centerlock and 2x10 all not only existed 5 years ago but were mainstream by then (Sram XX was introduced in 2009 and was the last of the things you mentioned, Sram and Shimano had 2x10 at pretty much every enthusiast level by 2011).

    Iron Horse declared bankruptcy and shut down in 2009.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bahamut2119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    I stopped paying attention way before then i have depression it started to get worse after my discharge from the army in 01 and peaked about a year ago if fixed that issue mostly and now paying attention to thinks like bikes and pc tech 2 of my favorite things to play with. Its always been if i wasn't out riding I was behind my pc or a console it migrated to just being behind my pc every waking moment now i'm on my bike a lot more again infact just heading to ride now. If you didn't know its back but it kinda sucks they offer 3 models all pretty low end all hard tails.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    82
    I am in a similar boat! I started riding in the early 90's. Hurt my back and gave it up in around 2007. Just picked it up again last year after a trip with my wife to Moab for our anniversary. Finally put my old Specialized Stumpy Comp 26 to the side and picked up a 2012 Specialized Stumpy Comp 29er. The 29er is awesome!

    Ride on!

    -Rick

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHIEF500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post
    Out of touch? I've never really been in touch and I'm 54...
    If your 55 and riding your in touch.
    Being 62 and riding daily again makes me feel younger and smile a lot. I take it.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    The+/plus equates to wider rims, ie i30-40mm and tires in the 2.7-3.0 range. Some bikes are generous enough to handle + as is, others are now being manuf as specific + bikes with boost spacing (F 15x110mm TA, R 12x147mm TA)to accommodate such sizes.

    hope that helps.
    I though the new rear boost was 150 mm?

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LaloKera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I though the new rear boost was 150 mm?
    From what I understand, boost is 148 rear. 150 on downhill rigs.
    Been doing a lot of researching lately now that I'm trying to upgrade my drivetrain.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    From what I understand, boost is 148 rear. 150 on downhill rigs.
    Been doing a lot of researching lately now that I'm trying to upgrade my drivetrain.
    correct

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,308
    150 spacing has been around on DH rigs for ages.
    "Boost" - another 'new' thang that really isn't.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BeanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,057
    Wait until you are 57, then you will be out of touch.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    140
    I started riding again when I was 40...bought myself an entry level 26" hard tail...beat the crap out of it for two years, then bought an entry level 29er. The 29er was an entry level Rockhopper - total piece of crap bike - lucky I didn't get myself killed on it. This thing did nothing but drop chains, bounce around on the Walmart style fork...sold it and bought a Santa Cruz 5010 (carbon 27.5). I never would have believed just how much more fun and easy riding on a good bike is. Safer too. No longer do I look at ridiculous technical climbs and think...I'm not going to make it up that. No longer do I say to myself...I wish I could make it through these 20 miles of single track without screwing up once. Now I can.

    The old me never would have given a thought to what a good bike can do, I don't know what changed...I guess getting older. Someone said to me...how much longer do you think we'll be able to do this? And I thought, you're right. Realistically I don't have another 20 years of single track left in me, I should enjoy it. So I spent $3,000...and then some.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublebase View Post
    . Realistically I don't have another 20 years of single track left in me
    Why not?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  17. #67
    Back at it
    Reputation: storz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    215
    Ha man I am in the same exact spot, started mountain biking in like 1993 at 13 years old - worked in shops from 1996-2004 during HS and college and then just sort of fell out of biking as my interests widened. Tried getting back into it a bit in 2010 but living in NC it was just miserably hot all the time (back in MI now!) and am looking at buying a bike again this summer.

    In 1996 there was like XC, DH and some weirdos that did cyclocross. Now the options are limitless and its all a bit daunting. I am actually leaning towards getting a rigid SS 29er and just enjoying my time in the woods away from the rat race
    Crave SL SS

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by storz View Post
    I am actually leaning towards getting a rigid SS 29er and just enjoying my time in the woods away from the rat race
    you cant go wrong, it is all so fun
    oops I wasn't clipped in

  19. #69
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by storz View Post
    Ha man I am in the same exact spot, started mountain biking in like 1993 at 13 years old - worked in shops from 1996-2004 during HS and college and then just sort of fell out of biking as my interests widened. Tried getting back into it a bit in 2010 but living in NC it was just miserably hot all the time (back in MI now!) and am looking at buying a bike again this summer.

    In 1996 there was like XC, DH and some weirdos that did cyclocross. Now the options are limitless and its all a bit daunting. I am actually leaning towards getting a rigid SS 29er and just enjoying my time in the woods away from the rat race
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    you cant go wrong, it is all so fun
    Totally! No need to race anymore. Simplicity can bring a higher sense of awareness to your skills, and make riding new again!
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '94 Trek Mountain Track 830
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    '81 Mongoose Supergoose (RIP)

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    95
    Lots of folks with similar stories - I'm almost 42.

    I started riding bikes at 4 years old...
    I raced BMX from 8-12...
    I picked up mountain biking in 1992..

    I rode a bike every day from the time I was 4 years old, until I graduated from college.

    After college I rode occasionally, but not a lot... until we moved back to Michigan (from Oregon) in 2004. When we moved back I sold my bike and planned on buying another one.

    Now it is 2016, and I haven't ridden since 2004. While looking around for new bikes for my kids - I decided I needed a bike.

    So I've just started building up a new (old) bike for fun, and bought my wife a bike.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ...Mark...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    75
    Why label yourself?

    Just get out, ride, and have fun.

  22. #72
    Back at it
    Reputation: storz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by aborgman View Post
    Lots of folks with similar stories - I'm almost 42.

    I started riding bikes at 4 years old...
    I raced BMX from 8-12...
    I picked up mountain biking in 1992..

    I rode a bike every day from the time I was 4 years old, until I graduated from college.

    After college I rode occasionally, but not a lot... until we moved back to Michigan (from Oregon) in 2004. When we moved back I sold my bike and planned on buying another one.

    Now it is 2016, and I haven't ridden since 2004. While looking around for new bikes for my kids - I decided I needed a bike.

    So I've just started building up a new (old) bike for fun, and bought my wife a bike.
    Michigan has a shocking number of good trails! Get back out there
    Crave SL SS

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    I got STARTED when I was 33. Now 50 and still just as passionate.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me


  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by storz View Post
    Michigan has a shocking number of good trails! Get back out there
    Yep - Michigan actually has great mountain biking (unlike our snowboarding)... and even in the area where I live.

    It was just one of those things that fell off the plate with work, 2 young kids, etc., etc.

    Snowboarding was similar - when we moved back from Oregon we just didn't go for 8 years... it was just too much hassle with little kids. When they finally got old enough for lessons though, we got back into it hardcore.

    Now my wife has a bike and seems to enjoy the few times we've been out, so hopefully we'll be getting out riding a bunch.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by storz View Post
    some weirdos that did cyclocross.
    Who you calling weird?
    Out of touch at 35?-creepy-cross.jpg

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ravewoofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I got STARTED when I was 33. Now 50 and still just as passionate.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

    Almost the same here. Started at 34 and will be 54 this summer. I'm still highly enthusiastic and cannot believe how far the mtb has gone even since 2008. IMO, the industry is way ahead of roadies.

    I've now been a mountain biker longer than I was a roadie/racer. Love the mtb!

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    258
    Wow, I started this thread over two years ago and forgot all about it! Over the past two years Iíve ridden so many miles, upgraded that hardtail to full squish ride (still stayed with 26), and even upgraded my road bike to a gravel bike. Stuff has sure changed since í97, but these new trail bikes (disk brakes, slack angles, suspension that actually works) are so much fun to ride! Cool to hear there are others who went through the same dilemma. I canít believe I moved away from riding for so long, every time I get tires on dirt it puts a smile on my face and makes me feel like a teenager again! Ride on!!!!
    2016 Ridley X Trail
    2013 Mount Vision XM6
    2007 Giant OCR2

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bsrhoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    14
    Great to read about so many getting (back) into the sport at a more "mature" age.

    Rode the typical bmx as a kid, a road bike as a teenager, then nothing for many, many years. When I hit my mid-thirties, I tore my Achilles tendon while goofing off (required surgery), and I realized during my rehabilitation that I was completely out of shape. So I joined a gym and fell in love with weight lifting, but I couldn't stand the boring cardio machines. I used to love biking as a kid, so I thought I would try that again. I bought a trek 3900 and started riding easy rail-trails and some single-tracks at local State parks. I too instantly fell back in love with the sport and felt like a kid again.

    Now, 7 years later I own a Cube Stereo full suspension and ride as much as life lets me. I love all mountain riding , but also enjoy the occasional day at a bike park for some lift serviced fun.

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    870
    I was introduced to mountain biking back in the 90's too, by my Scoutmaster. I was 15 years old at that time. I had a bit of a break during college and law school, but then got back into the sport more intensely about six years ago.

    Its amazing how things change isn't it. I just look at bike helmets from old 90's photos and I cringe. My Scoutmaster doesn't even mountain bike anymore because he feels its too dangerous at his age. Sometimes, I tell my daughter how great the 90's were. She keeps reminding me that I'm getting older, and balder every day - LOL.

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I was introduced to mountain biking back in the 90's too, by my Scoutmaster. I was 15 years old at that time. I had a bit of a break during college and law school, but then got back into the sport more intensely about six years ago.

    Its amazing how things change isn't it. I just look at bike helmets from old 90's photos and I cringe. My Scoutmaster doesn't even mountain bike anymore because he feels its too dangerous at his age. Sometimes, I tell my daughter how great the 90's were. She keeps reminding me that I'm getting older, and balder every day - LOL.
    I'm 50, I'll stop Mountain Biking when I can no longer pedal the bike.

    Here's a friend of mine that recently turned 70 and KILLS it on the Mountain Bike.

    Out of touch at 35?-reinert.jpg
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me


  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,011
    That dude aint 70!? I'll have some of what he's having!!

    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Damage: 14' Kona Process 134, 12' Transition Bandit 29er
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

  32. #82
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    441
    yep..you are only as old as you let yourself be...

    I am actually in better shape, and more active at 47 than I was at 20. I get weird looks at the trails and BMX park in my camo pants, old school thrash metal or punk shirts and Chucks, but I don't care. Once you start riding, the conversation turns to that instead.

    A lot of my students parents always ask "When are you gonna grow up?" I always reply, "if "growing up" means being less active, and more cautious...then never." Or I say," hell, I have been grown up since 21, but am not DEAD yet, so why just whither away?" Being grown up has NOTHING to do with your activities...it is a mind set and a wisdom base

    Keep thrashing/riding!!!
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '94 Trek Mountain Track 830
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    '81 Mongoose Supergoose (RIP)

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,844
    last week i started riding my 7 year old's new longboard razor scooter every evening. i love it and i purposefully bought one where the deck is rated for 200+ pounds in case i enjoyed it, too. what a blast! don't care what other adults think. i am 50+ and enjoying it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    That dude aint 70!? I'll have some of what he's having!!
    I first started riding with him when I was 33, he was 53. I thought "Dang this old dude KILLS it!" Now I'm 50 and he's 70...I find myself saying the same dang thing.
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me


  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    298
    This is my 35th year of MTBing and I'm still out of touch.

  36. #86
    Back at it
    Reputation: storz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    215
    You're never too old. My old man doesn't ride but made it through the police academy at 60 years old to start career #2 after retiring from GM. Not an easy feat for someone in their 20s!

    I am 35 and just bought a rigid single speed yesterday 😁


    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Crave SL SS

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    yep..you are only as old as you let yourself be...

    I am actually in better shape, and more active at 47 than I was at 20. I get weird looks at the trails and BMX park in my camo pants, old school thrash metal or punk shirts and Chucks, but I don't care. Once you start riding, the conversation turns to that instead.

    A lot of my students parents always ask "When are you gonna grow up?" I always reply, "if "growing up" means being less active, and more cautious...then never." Or I say," hell, I have been grown up since 21, but am not DEAD yet, so why just whither away?" Being grown up has NOTHING to do with your activities...it is a mind set and a wisdom base

    Keep thrashing/riding!!!
    I'm in my 40's too, and like you I'm a school teacher. I find that being a teacher kind of keeps you "young". Part of it is I don't want to stand in front of a class and have them say I'm old...or that I look like I'm getting old. And another part is I see them and it reminds me of when I was young, so it motivates me to train and try to stay in the best shape I can. I've talked to other teachers and some of them feel the same way...they don't want to grow old right in front of their eyes...it puts a little motivation into you.

    And when I see former students, I don't want to hear them say...boy you got old. I guess it's happening, but I'm not going to sit there and let it happen. When my wife gets ready for work and she is maybe having an "off day" or looking tired/old, I always tell her...hey at least you won't have 25 kids telling you that you look like crap.

  38. #88
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublebase View Post
    I'm in my 40's too, and like you I'm a school teacher. I find that being a teacher kind of keeps you "young". Part of it is I don't want to stand in front of a class and have them say I'm old...or that I look like I'm getting old. And another part is I see them and it reminds me of when I was young, so it motivates me to train and try to stay in the best shape I can. I've talked to other teachers and some of them feel the same way...they don't want to grow old right in front of their eyes...it puts a little motivation into you.

    And when I see former students, I don't want to hear them say...boy you got old. I guess it's happening, but I'm not going to sit there and let it happen. When my wife gets ready for work and she is maybe having an "off day" or looking tired/old, I always tell her...hey at least you won't have 25 kids telling you that you look like crap.
    yeah, I also like it that I am still able to keep up on new things b/c of my students.

    I don't really care if they think I am old, but I do want them to think that I am "legit"...like, that I am not "talking out of my butt" about certain subjects. I never claim to know every thing about every thing, but what I do claim to have knowledge about, I want to make sure that I am as close to 100% as possible. I want my kids to respect me, and appreciate me, which they do for the most part.

    Getting back into BMX has been my mid life crisis I think...and I am glad to be honest. When I was young and free, BMX was my life. I lived on my bike from about 6 years old to 16. It has brought a new sense of staying in touch with my youth. My step-son has also been wanting to learn to ride, so that motivates me to push myself.

    I have never believed that I should, or need to give up certain elements of my identity just because I am at a certain age. Maturity is not defined by what you do, but by who you are.
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '94 Trek Mountain Track 830
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    '81 Mongoose Supergoose (RIP)

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    36
    so many threads here similar to mind. Rode a lot early 2000s on a Trek fuel 98 which was top dog back then (George bush rode the same model). Just started riding again after +10 years off and my Trek is now ancient with its rim brakes and 80mm travel. I don't know why I stopped riding for so long; it feels really good to be back on the trail. Getting married to a women who doesn't ride and having 2 kids might have something to do with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Touch up paint?
    By cycleboy in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM
  2. When i think of you i touch myself....
    By Tone's in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 01:22 AM
  3. touch-up paint
    By Parabellum in forum Knolly
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
  4. touch-up paint
    By Limey Johnson in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 09:29 AM
  5. Just a touch
    By tductape in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •