Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    So here I am twenty years later, feeling good at the young age of 35, and I don't know where to start on these forums? I don't really do DH, no AM, consider myself a cross country rider, but not a racer, and not enduro. I guess passion is a good place to start?
    forget all the riding type designations, as long as your wheels are rolling and having fun that's all that matters. Also, don't buy into the wheel size hype, if you love your bike that's all that matters. Love seeing all the replies about people getting back into the sport after a long hiatus!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wow, this is great! Sounds like I'm not the only guy who got out of the sport for a while in my twenties. I will say after a few rides, the bike under me feels pretty natural again. I definately agree with others that I'm not as "balls out" as I was when I was younger. Thanks for the great stories, maybe I'll see some of you on the trail...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I wish there was a forum for "Just like to ride my bike on the trails," for those of us who aren't in the specialized bike categories. "Passion" is a good category but it wasn't obvious to me for a while that I should be looking there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    pretty much the same story. I rode a lot when I was young, haven't been on a bike for over 15 years.
    I still have my 1995 Cannondale F1000 which at the time I thought was such a nice bike. Now that I've been in the LBS and see all the full suspension bikes I feel very outdated.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    welcome back.. bikes are just fun, no matter what kind you ride.

I started in 1990 and haven't left much, but the advances in technology have really made it fun.

I am 44.. at 37 I started Dhing and I can't believe how fun it is. I would like to say I keep it safe as I am a dad, but damn did I hit some big a$$ jumps last year (Google dwayne johnson at whistler). now, I wouldn't recommned just doing that, I have made what I feel like are smart and small steps along the way.

Again, bikes are just plain ole fun.. today I did a nice XC loop after work and was all smiles (until I saw the rattlesnake)....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Add me to the list of comebacks...
    Started riding in 1995 and stuck with it through 2000 or so, then work, wife, kids, and a bit of rock guitar dream chasing put it out of the picture.
    After a bad year last year something had to give so I picked up a Trek X-Caliber 29er (I am also a short guy at 5'6") and started back in.
    I just like flowing singletrack...nothing crazy. I'm calling it mountain biking.
    The gear is different but the buzz feels the same thankfully.

Also, this is my first post! If anyone is west of Boston and wants to ride with someone just getting their legs back, drop me a line!
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Don't let anybody tell you your kind of riding is the wrong kind of riding, Wolfcandy!

mtbr member
    Thankfully no one has Anne! At least not yet.
    Although I have been pretty much a loner on the trails after starting back up last fall. Time to find new riding buddies...first goal of the season. (This whole starting again thing is actually a blast!)

beater

Out of touch at 35?

I rode all the time up until about my senior year of HS, and from there I lived in a variety of places that weren't very conducive to mountain biking, at least in the 90s. I moved to MT 10 years ago and found myself in a place with loads of singletrack out my door, so I bought a used M2 Stumpy and got back into it. It took me a little while to adjust to all the changes in the 12+ years since I'd left, but it didn't take long. I've been increasingly passionate about it every year since. And I have a lot of hilarious high school photos of me and my bike that just slay my friends who are 10-15 years younger.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Jeez, sounds like a bunch of us has stories that sort of mirror each other...albeit a few years apart or on the other side of the country. Im turning 30 next week and after a 12ish year hiatus i began riding again back in 2010.

I too fell out of the sport in the mid 90s after a few years of mtb'ing being my life. I read mountain bike action religiously. I dreamed of all the bikes i would have if i had the money. Most importantly, i rode hard and rode ofter.

Kind of fell out of it around 97. Life and typical teenage-early 20's priorities got in the way. From time to time i would get back into it for a few weeks but it was never the same. I couldnt get that feeling like when i was young and nothing else mattered. After a few years of car stuff and winter boredom decided to ressurect my old bike and began shopping retro parts on ebay (i am way too nostalgic) and the rest is history. 2010 was the best riding season for me ever. Finally got the spark back. That feeling i hadnt felt in a decade came out.

A few years went by and im no longer single so i don't get out as often as id like but i never let much time go by where im not riding or at least maintaining the fleet, buying parts, watching videos etc. I feel like biking is one of the few things left for me that helps maintain my sanity

This thread makes me really happy. Hopefully you all feel what i have a hard time putting into words. I try to explain to the mrs that its more than a hobby or sport but i can never convey it

PS- for those who havent started night riding yet i am pretty sure the technology has advanced 100x faster for bike lights then the bikes themselves. You can now get lights for a fraction of the price that are several times brighter and run much longer, all while being smaller and lighter than what we had in the 90s!

mtbr member
    Out of touch? I've never really been in touch and I'm 54...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    I feel like biking is one of the few things left for me that helps maintain my sanity

This thread makes me really happy. Hopefully you all feel what i have a hard time putting into words. I try to explain to the mrs that its more than a hobby or sport but i can never convey it
    You may have to keep trying to get the Mrs to understand, its not always easy to explain, but with what you said above is a good start.

I describe it as therapy. My wife has learned that when I ride regularly I am happier and a better husband/person all around.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2