Mythical Creature

Out with the old - In with the (New Bike) Passion! (Yeti x-post) [O]

Well, she came, I saw, I disassembeld and rebuilt, shaping into a XC/Endurance racing ROCKET ~ 23.8 pounds of beauty... After some saddle time, I'll post some ride reports.

Full resolution pix and brief write up HERE

Here's a teaser though:

Attached Images Attached Images
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Well, she came, I saw, I disassembeld and rebuilt, shaping into a XC/Endurance racing ROCKET ~ 23.8 pounds of beauty... After some saddle time, I'll post some ride reports.

Full resolution pix and brief write up HERE

Here's a teaser though:

nice stuff, glen!!

i looked at all the pics & she's very sleek. looking forward to the first ride rept. 23.8 lbs puts her just 1/2 lb more than my titus.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

That is one

Sexy ride!

Have you considered the Triple Ti Eggbeaters? About 185 grams for the pair. And you can get the shorter spindle, which will help the q-factor.

We'll have to race for beer and pizza sometime!

brg
    mtbr member

Wow!!!

that is one COOL bike!!!

I LOVE those extralite parts. I looked at them when putting together my bike earlier this year.

jeesh - my bike started at 24.1 when I built it up - I've gotten it down to 23.7 with some tweaking - close to the same weight as yours. betcha you aren't riding an 11" frame tho!

you are gonna be SO fast on that thing!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    bling!

nice looking rig there.
    Don't harsh my mello

Savvy?
    Nice lookin' ride there, Glen!
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Very nice Glenn. The '06 paint scheme is pretty cool.

I'm going to be going on to my 4th straight year of racing on a light weight ASR-SL build (my 2003 frame was the first year of the flexing seatstay pivots, although they were in Ti at that point instead of carbon). I've thrown around the idea of switching to another bike a few times, but when I sit down and think about it I just can't come up with any reasons why I would make a switch since the Yeti just rides so damn nicely.

Perhaps I'm just trying to swallow my natural inclination to always think that I should be looking to upgrade. It's an odd feeling.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    nice stuff, glen!!

i looked at all the pics & she's very sleek. looking forward to the first ride rept. 23.8 lbs puts her just 1/2 lb more than my titus.

rt
    Thanks *rt*! First "tuner" ride was fun - nothing crazy yet, but she rails the fast loose corners here nicely. I may be able to shed a 1/2 pound if I can find a lighter seat I like, and the XO twist shifters will help when I get them in. Ah, the never ending quest!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by brg
    that is one COOL bike!!!

I LOVE those extralite parts. I looked at them when putting together my bike earlier this year.

jeesh - my bike started at 24.1 when I built it up - I've gotten it down to 23.7 with some tweaking - close to the same weight as yours. betcha you aren't riding an 11" frame tho!

you are gonna be SO fast on that thing!

Thanks brg!

Extralite parts are seriously pretty - the stem a bit flexy, but by the end of a quick ride yesterday didn't really think about/notice it much. We'll see. The new Thomson X4 OS stem and Raceface carbon bars that came with the bike were nice, and pretty light too - might keep them around as "back up"...

And no, 11" frame it ain't! The medium seems to be about an 18.5" size, and man - the stand up and hammer responsiveness / stiffness coupled with the light weight-ness was sweet!

We'll see how fast she is soon....
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    Sexy ride!

Have you considered the Triple Ti Eggbeaters? About 185 grams for the pair. And you can get the shorter spindle, which will help the q-factor.

We'll have to race for beer and pizza sometime!
    Thanks 514! I tried the eggbeaters last year and nearly killed myself. Seemed like my feet came out way too easily on the fast chattery/rocky stuff, even with the cleats installed in the more float mode. Wish I could use them as it's chop so much weight off.

If it's beer and pizza we're racing for - look out - it'd be a hell of a throw down!

follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    bling!

nice looking rig there.
    Thanks!

I feel a little guilty tho....

nahhhh!
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Very nice Glenn. The '06 paint scheme is pretty cool.

I'm going to be going on to my 4th straight year of racing on a light weight ASR-SL build (my 2003 frame was the first year of the flexing seatstay pivots, although they were in Ti at that point instead of carbon). I've thrown around the idea of switching to another bike a few times, but when I sit down and think about it I just can't come up with any reasons why I would make a switch since the Yeti just rides so damn nicely.

Perhaps I'm just trying to swallow my natural inclination to always think that I should be looking to upgrade. It's an odd feeling.
    Thanks 'Clip. I would say if you don't have a PUSHed shock, or an RP3, it makes a huge difference. On medium "platform" setting, there was no seated feedback at all, and just about none standing. I heard that was among the few complaints folks had in the past, as with a lot of 4-bar designs....

Anyhow, can't wait to log some real miles on the trails again!
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanL
    Nice lookin' ride there, Glen!
    Thanks Sean! I still think Pink woulda been cool....
    follow me on Twitter!

Savvy?
    Thanks Sean! I still think Pink woulda been cool....

It takes an awfully secure man to ride a pink bicycle.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Thanks 'Clip. I would say if you don't have a PUSHed shock, or an RP3, it makes a huge difference. On medium "platform" setting, there was no seated feedback at all, and just about none standing. I heard that was among the few complaints folks had in the past, as with a lot of 4-bar designs....
    This will be year 2 for me on a PUSH'ed rear. The PUSH mod was an improvement over the stock Float RL, but I would have been completely happy to keep riding the stock shock also. On the ASR-SL it behaved quite well, other than perhaps pack up and wallow a bit too deep in the travel under a series of faster hits. For what it's worth, the Yeti is a 4-bar design, but along the lines of a linkage driven shock single pivot (the seatstay flex pivots count) rather than a Horst Link 4-bar with chainstay pivot.

That being said, I am toying with the idea of getting an aftermarket Rock Shox MC 3.R to experiment with, and set it up with the PopLoc dual remote lockout so that I can lock out both it and my front Reba from a single bar control. The Reba has been great. I was on a Float 100 previously, and IMHO the easy Motion Control tuning plus bar mount lockout on the Reba suit me much better for racing. If the 2006 revision of the rear shock is anything like the front I may make the switch permanent.

My build is remarkably similar to yours, although I ditched the Extralite stem for a Thomson a couple of years ago. Never had a problem with the Extralite and checked it regularly, but just couldn't get myself in the right headspace for riding it on an ongoing basis here in Vancouver.

Have fun! There is very little downside on the ASR-SL. If I had to get picky I might talk about a little bit of kickback in the granny ring on steep technical climbs with lips (probably on most other FS bikes too) but the overall package is 99.9%

Currently in Exile

Seriously sweet ride

I have been lusting after an ASR since 2002. One of my LBS's had one hanging in the window in my size and would pull it down for me every time I came in. They even offered to let me take it on a ride at my favorite trails. I never took them up on the offer as I knew that would seal the deal. And I had less than a year into my Fuel. And I didn't have $2,000+ dollars to spare. Oh excuses and regrets. Now I will be searching Ebay for Yetis all winter long! Damn you Glen!

Of course I have also been lusting after a Titus Switchblade since riding one the same year. So Damn you too RT!

The NM state series won't know what hit it when you bring that weapon to bear on it!

Ebay here I come
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Sweet ride Glen! Are you ging to use a differant fork up front then the Fox to save weight? I could not figure out what you were saying with the new parts.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    I have been lusting after an ASR since 2002. One of my LBS's had one hanging in the window in my size and would pull it down for me every time I came in. They even offered to let me take it on a ride at my favorite trails. I never took them up on the offer as I knew that would seal the deal. And I had less than a year into my Fuel. And I didn't have $2,000+ dollars to spare. Oh excuses and regrets. Now I will be searching Ebay for Yetis all winter long! Damn you Glen!

Of course I have also been lusting after a Titus Switchblade since riding one the same year. So Damn you too RT!

The NM state series won't know what hit it when you bring that weapon to bear on it!

Ebay here I come
    After a couple of moderate rides I can definately attest to its rocket-like snappy / fast acceleration - even if my legs are at "horse and buggy" speed of late.

Can't go wrong woth either Titus or Yeti!

Sorry to have helped fuel the fire!

follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Sweet ride Glen! Are you ging to use a differant fork up front then the Fox to save weight? I could not figure out what you were saying with the new parts.
    Thanks Rick! And yes, I'd like to give the Manitou RSeven a try when I can get my hands on the mid/upper level one with a bar mounted remote... save some weight AND likely have the small-bump plushness (I hope) I've found in other Manitou products. I do like the Fox F100RLT though - feels pretty dang light it's own bad self - I think advertised at 3.3 +/- pounds. I just would like a bar-mounted remote for my fork, as the Terralogic Forx worked great as advertised, but I grew to hate it's inability at slow, techy climbing speeds to respond at all.... I sure wish Fox would sell us lowly non-factory racers the bar/trigger lockout for the non-Terralogic Forx! I'd definately keep the RLT then....

Anyhow, hard to complain with so much new bling!

follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    Thanks Rick! And yes, I'd like to give the Manitou RSeven a try when I can get my hands on the mid/upper level one with a bar mounted remote... save some weight AND likely have the small-bump plushness (I hope) I've found in other Manitou products. I do like the Fox F100RLT though - feels pretty dang light it's own bad self - I think advertised at 3.3 +/- pounds. I just would like a bar-mounted remote for my fork, as the Terralogic Forx worked great as advertised, but I grew to hate it's inability at slow, techy climbing speeds to respond at all.... I sure wish Fox would sell us lowly non-factory racers the bar/trigger lockout for the non-Terralogic Forx! I'd definately keep the RLT then....

Anyhow, hard to complain with so much new bling!

WOW! I just had this exact conversation with Chuck and another friend this weekend. I have a Terralogic and the RLT and what I really want is an RLT with a remote Lockout. I called FOX and they said they do not make it! FYI, Chuck loves the high end Reba with the remote lockout. His Blur XC just arrived last week.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    WOW! I just had this exact conversation with Chuck and another friend this weekend. I have a Terralogic and the RLT and what I really want is an RLT with a remote Lockout. I called FOX and they said they do not make it! FYI, Chuck loves the high end Reba with the remote lockout. His Blur XC just arrived last week.
    LOL - Great minds and all....

FWIW, they did make it - or someone did for the factory SC/Luna team as of last fall, and I did find a crappy pic here of Shonny with it (its the weird Nokon cable heading down from her right side handlebar - and you can see the blue lever on her bars).

Here's a better shot - though smaller:

follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    LOL - Great minds and all....

FWIW, they did make it - or someone did for the factory SC/Luna team as of last fall, and I did find a crappy pic here of Shonny with it (its the weird Nokon cable heading down from her right side handlebar - and you can see the blue lever on her bars).

Here's a better shot - though smaller:

I'm sure you and I are were hotties like the Luna chix they make a remote for us